Sign in to follow this  
Gudsawn

A2 Island Lighting Fixes

Currently A3MP uses Stratis lighting for all its Arma 2 maps. This gives all A2 maps a very Mediterranean feel which I'm personally not very fond of. Therefore, to fix this issue, I decided to create a mod that uses the original Arma 2 config/lighting data to give these maps back their classic look.

Some people may prefer the Arma 2 style lighting, and others may not. This mod is being made purely to suit some people's personal tastes.

The only map I've done so far is Takistan. I've used the original Arma 2 skybox, horizon texture, and lighting values. This gives Takistan back its original gritty/sandy/desert look. The fog colour also matches the map's lighting - fog is now a sandy brown rather than misty blue. Here's a screenshot of Takistan so far:

WDUmb9qh.jpg

(Click for bigger size)

The good news? These are only config changes and so the mod file size is very small.

So far I've only fixed the values for Takistan, but I couldn't wait to make a thread :P

Edited by Goodson

This is awesome! Arma 3 is my first entry with this series and I really enjoy all the Arma 2 maps, to include community maps, more then Altis/Straits. But I was wishing they would have the gritty look you're talking about. I've tried custom post process effects and they help but yours looks just like the originals. Is your Takistan mod available now or will you release it when you've done several other maps? Do you plan on doing FATA or Hazr Kot Valley or other maps made by the community? Can't wait

I approve. Probably asking for too much, but is there a way to get back the 2D backdrop of the mountains from Takistan? Example

At last!!!

Thanks man; now we can enjoy more natural lightning without AiA!

@SnowingJimBob - Currently, as far as I've seen, all Arma 2 maps made by the community inherit from a template world called CAWorld. CAWorld is defined in A3MP and uses Stratis lighting values. Because of this, all community made maps that inherit from CAWorld also inherit these lighting values. Therefore, to fix this, there are two options:

1. Map authors will have to define their own lighting values for their maps (rather than using the inherited Stratis values). This is the best option as it allows map authors to have complete control over the lighting of their map.

2. I can create a 2nd additional mod that defines these values for community-made maps.

Also, yes I will release this when it's done ;)

@Phronk - Your wish is my command. It's not as clear as it is in Arma 2, not sure why that is. Will look into other config values, but for now this works.

@Serjames - Hush :p

@SnowingJimBob - Currently, as far as I've seen, all Arma 2 maps made by the community inherit from a template world called CAWorld. CAWorld is defined in A3MP and uses Stratis lighting values. Because of this, all community made maps that inherit from CAWorld also inherit these lighting values. Therefore, to fix this, there are two options:

1. Map authors will have to define their own lighting values for their maps (rather than using the inherited Stratis values). This is the best option as it allows map authors to have complete control over the lighting of their map.

2. I can create a 2nd additional mod that defines these values for community-made maps.

Also, yes I will release this when it's done ;)

@Phronk - Your wish is my command. It's not as clear as it is in Arma 2, not sure why that is. Will look into other config values, but for now this works.

@Serjames - Hush :p

pull a alduric and make a A2 island lighting fixes-AP for all the maps A3MP-AP works on

Looks awesome! Excited for the release.

Looks great ! Also finally a proper solution, having to rely on ppeffects was getting wonky.

When can we expect that ?

Looks great ! Also finally a proper solution, having to rely on ppeffects was getting wonky.

When can we expect that ?

Thanks. To get this done properly, and released soon, I really need a response to this thread. Until this is answered, I've hit a bit of a 'brick wall' unfortunately. Any config gurus around?

Managed to break through the wall after some very helpful advice from .kju. Will be making a new (completed) thread soon.

Very very very good Goodson keep up man you're an awesome lad