Sign in to follow this  
colonelmolerat

Turn off TrackIR zoom for binoculars, keep for 'eyes'

Is there anyway to keep the ability to use TrackIR to 'zoom' when unarmed or using iron sights, but disable it when using binoculars? I find pressing a button to zoom with binoculars feels easier, and seems more realistic.

I have a TrackIR, but I don't use it a lot. My first idea for your problem is to set "pause TrackIR" to B. In an ideal world this should disable TrackIR when you use binoculars and enable it again when you put the binocs away.

Yes, I currently have 'precision' mode set to a button, so I use it for sniping (and currently with the binoculars). The zoom still seems funny though - when zooming in, it goes too far, then zooms out a little to the correct point for each zoom level. I only remember this happening with TrackIR so I assumed it's related. Does it happen to you too?

Franky speaking, I don't remember precisely how TrackIr handles the zoom. But recently I noticed that zooming with the keys has the effect you're describing. This might have been introduced with a recent game update, but I'm not sure. There are two zoom levels at your disposal when you use the keys. But if you use TrackIR zooming should be completely fluent, without stopping at any level until you reach the end of the way. Have you somehow set the TrackIR to emulate the numpad + and - keys? If this is not the case, you'd better wait for an active TrackIR user to chime in.

I've had great difficulties to get used to TrackIR when playing as a foot soldier which is what I do most of the time. No problems whatsoever, though, when driving. So I reverted to using the Alt-key to look around. I use voice control, so I just say "free look" when I want to enable the feature and this works extremely well for me. Obviously pausing and activating TrackIR would achieve a similar result and it could also be done with voice control if I wanted. So why don't I do it this way? Simply because I hate how my character looks at his feet when I check the keyboard.

Yes, TrackIR is fluent (it's the keyboard with the weird step-effect). It's just a bit confusing to zoom with your head movement!

"Simply because I hate how my character looks at his feet when I check the keyboard.", hah!