Sign in to follow this  
_angus_

Voice Comms during missions - "Echo One to Echo Two (to Echo Three etc etc)"

Hi guys,

My friend and I use the ingame voice comms on our missions and for the most part it works very well. The only problem we have is that after three or four seconds it echoes what you have said so you end up trying to talk over yourself. I appreciate ideally military comms should be short and sharp, but we're not military (or especially sharp) and sometimes we need to discuss how well an edited mission is working, and discuss changes and so on.

Have we got something set up wrong or is this just the nature of the beast? Thanks for any thoughts.

There is currently an issue with voip, in that you can get a stuttering effect. This isn't what you have described.

Your description is more inline with what happens when you talk on teamspeak at the same time as you talk on voip, so if you arent using teamspeak, what I would suggest is happening, is that you are outputting sound to 2 different sources hence the echo effect

Also, if you are using open caes headset they your mic might pick up the sound from your headphones and that cause echoing.

There is currently an issue with voip, in that you can get a stuttering effect. This isn't what you have described.

Your description is more inline with what happens when you talk on teamspeak at the same time as you talk on voip, so if you arent using teamspeak, what I would suggest is happening, is that you are outputting sound to 2 different sources hence the echo effect

Hmmm..... we've not bothered with Teamspeak, and my headphones are enclosed, as I believe are my friend's..... and as I say, there's a few seconds before the echo occurs.

I can very readily believe I have ticked something I shouldn't have in the settings. I found the Realtek audio settings to be a bit confusing, and I had some trouble getting the microphone at a decent level, so in addition to to fiddling with the Realtek settings, I also boosted the level with Win 7's audio settings..... I perhaps stupidly thought they would happily work together, but does this sound like the problem?

Also possible that you are schizophrenic !

Actually seriously it COULD be that your mate is using speakers and you are hearing yourself broadcasting through that.

Are you hearing yourself twice or are you hearing your friend twice? And what about your friend?

It is not clear exactly what is happening for you and your friend.

Are you hearing yourself twice or are you hearing your friend twice? And what about your friend?

It is not clear exactly what is happening for you and your friend.

Right, to clarify: neither me nor my friend are using speakers.

I find myself being "interrupted" by my own echo, and the same happens to my friend with his echo. Hope that makes more sense. :)

Most likely in your realtek settings you may have enabled some form of sound effect, try padded cell see if that stops it

Failing that I would say that your sound is being processed twice and then outputted twice. Go through your sound settings and try disabling some of the outputs until the echo stops.

Do you have the same issues outside of the game, eg with skype etc

Edited by Terox

Most likely in your realtek settings you may have enabled some form of sound effect, try padded cell see if that stops it

Failing that I would say that your sound is being processed twice and then outputted twice. Go through your sound settings and try disabling some of the outputs until the echo stops.

Do you have the same issues outside of the game, eg with skype etc

Right, its not going well. :)

I've had no problems outside of the game itself - but I had a look at the Realtek setup program which is all icons and bright colours (and for me completely counter-intuitive) and now I can't hear my friend (or myself) on Steam voice chat where we meet pre-game. ARMA 3, is still the same, working but with echo.

I am a bit confused, both windows and Realtek show my head-phones as speakers which is okay I suppose, they perform okay in the tests....

When I initiate a voice chat on Steam I hear the ringing sound of the "phone" and when I try and talk I can see both my signal and his looking very healthy, but I can't hear him.

I have a second sound card (M-Audio Audiophile 2496) I use with my music DAW software, which I have tried to disable with no improvement. I noticed Steam is displaying that as the selected device, I didn't seem to be able to change it in Steam though.

What do you plug your Headset in to? Steam only chooses Window Primary Sound device I believe.