Sign in to follow this  
alleycat

Colt Detective Special .38

Polycount for that barrel appears to be unnecessarily high. Consider reducing the number of polys you are using. If you're using blender, use the decimate modifier. Otherwise, looking good ;)

If you're using Blender, and easier way to make the model would be to create a cube, cut it in half, then add a mirror modifier, and only mirror on the axis you will be modeling, that way you would only have to model half the gun, therefore cutting down the time it takes to make it. As for the gun already, it looks great. Though, I imagine it's gonna be kind of hard to get the player to hold it correctly, because it is such a small, awkward pistol.

-EDIT-

I just realized, alleycat, that you have posted 666 times.

Thanks for the input to everyone so far.

I am actually not using Blender, I use XSI. Also I am only modeling half of the gun. The mirrored part is only for the screenshot.

Latest:

n5FMGZd.jpg

CGUc9mf.jpg

PfEosff.jpg

Ohhhh alright. Well, the model looks great so far, hope it turns out awesome! Can we get a picture of what you might texture it like, if you have one?

yFh9NeG.jpg

hMOQO1s.jpg

PMC-Rainey

Ohhhh alright. Well, the model looks great so far, hope it turns out awesome! Can we get a picture of what you might texture it like, if you have one?

Probably going for something like this for texture

M7GIDKR.jpg

Nice. When it's released, I'm going to beg the Life mod I play on to add this, just so I can use it as a sheriff :D

2amwbwS.jpg

neCJKDX.jpg

QLA4w1X.jpg

Worked some more on the symmetrical parts. Now having to figure out the non-symmetrical parts and model that.

Nice. When it's released, I'm going to beg the Life mod I play on to add this, just so I can use it as a sheriff

My plan is to create a complete 1920s mod pack, for the contest, so players can re-enact their own prohibition era stories in Arma3. However let's see how exporting this model to Arma3 will work out first

---------- Post added at 11:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:58 AM ----------

kadu92T.jpg

qyCLPWS.jpg

Edited by alleycat

Looking nice.

I think you should make a really rusty version of it along with a normal one.

Like some really terribly rusted crappy version of it that has less muzzle velocity or somthing.

So I can like explore some ruined city and have like 3 bullets and use this gun.

:cool:

Seriously though I think that is actually a really good idea.

It looks amazing! But I still think animations are goign to be the hardest part of it all.

The model is now complete and uv-mapped. Going to look at how exporting into arma3 works now.

Great, we just need now a fine hat, beatup trenchcoat and a half burnt cigarette at the edge of the avatar´s mounth and voilá! ArmA Noir or ArmA P.I. ;D

cheers!

ZBQuYT8.jpg

Great, we just need now a fine hat, beatup trenchcoat and a half burnt cigarette at the edge of the avatar´s mounth and voilá! ArmA Noir or ArmA P.I. ;D

cheers!

Believe it or not, I am actually working on a trenchcoat right now to go with the gun.

Based on the screens, isn't the polycount way too high for such a small object?

Wow. It looks fantastic. What will the effective range be?

It fires the .38 special which is a bit less powerful in terms of energy than a 9mm. So to fit into existing arma weaponry I will give it the same ballistic performance as a 9mm ingame.

Based on the screens, isn't the polycount way too high for such a small object?

The complete model is a little under 9000 triangles. Which might be a bit high for a small weapon but I rather have a few polies too much in the right places than too little. Beside I can still use LODs for external views to drastically reduce. Important for me is that it looks detailed in first person and for that I find anything below 10000 ok.