Sign in to follow this  
RuairiAU

Have thermal optics been changed?

Not sure if it has changed or if I have a mod changing it. But the thermal optics of the laser designator are now completely black except for heat sources. previously it used to be greenish and you could make out the terrain, now it's just heat only it seems.

Anyone else getting this?

I got it on a few missions, but maybe it's related to the mission. Testing in the Virtual Arsenal and Islands it worked just fine.

Thermal performance is weather and daytime dependent. Under certain circumstances, contrast becomes so bad that you can either see terrain or hot objects, but not both at the same time. It has problems like that irl too, though, so it's not really a problem. I just wonder if the performance of the simulation is analogous to real life. For example, on a hot summers day, the ground temperature and temperature of vehicles should be identical, shouldn't it?

Thermal performance is weather and daytime dependent. Under certain circumstances, contrast becomes so bad that you can either see terrain or hot objects, but not both at the same time. It has problems like that irl too, though, so it's not really a problem. I just wonder if the performance of the simulation is analogous to real life. For example, on a hot summers day, the ground temperature and temperature of vehicles should be identical, shouldn't it?

From what I know is that arma doesn't use thermal textures for anything else besides units/vehicles.

Right now there seems to be a bug where fences and some buildings are almost white when being looked at in thermal view.

You really can't compare real thermal optics to what arma simulates, the only thing that arma3 thermal is doing right is that you can't see behind glass with it, every other aspect of thermals in arma needs a good amount of adjustments.

As you said terrain and static objects should have a thermal signature and pretty much blend in with each other, on real thermals you can hardly spot people on a hot day as seen in this picture (bradley gun sights).

Wp3cXTK.jpg

Notice how the ground is hotter than the two people in this image.

In my opinion the auto contrast which is currently applied to thermal views in the game has to go and be made controllable by the player and there has to be a good chunk more noise in the image, especially on hot/moist days.

There's no need to simulate every single aspect of it, just tune it up a notch towards real thermals since units in ghillie suits/camouflaged vehicles are too easy to spot with thermals.

From what I know is that arma doesn't use thermal textures for anything else besides units/vehicles.

Right now there seems to be a bug where fences and some buildings are almost white when being looked at in thermal view.

You really can't compare real thermal optics to what arma simulates, the only thing that arma3 thermal is doing right is that you can't see behind glass with it, every other aspect of thermals in arma needs a good amount of adjustments.

As you said terrain and static objects should have a thermal signature and pretty much blend in with each other, on real thermals you can hardly spot people on a hot day as seen in this picture (bradley gun sights).

http://i.imgur.com/Wp3cXTK.jpg

Notice how the ground is hotter than the two people in this image.

In my opinion the auto contrast which is currently applied to thermal views in the game has to go and be made controllable by the player and there has to be a good chunk more noise in the image, especially on hot/moist days.

There's no need to simulate every single aspect of it, just tune it up a notch towards real thermals since units in ghillie suits/camouflaged vehicles are too easy to spot with thermals.

Interesting. Thanks.

This is really annoying, I am pretty annoyed they didn't fix it in the last patch...it looks bloody horrible and is very distracting.

The auto contrast is the worst. You turn on thermal, it looks fine with good contrast.

And then all of a sudden, after about 3-5 seconds, the contrast drops like a rock and suddenly you're looking at an ugly grey plane with all units highlighted.

If the contrast was higher, it would make it harder to see vehicles and units because there would be other white things in the terrain, etc. But no, everything besides units is dark grey, and you can't even distinguish terrain.

beside the fact, that it looks horrible, ArmA's thermal view is destroying balance in multiplayer games (especially PVP)... Thermal view simply is way to powerful (just like the tab - fire and forget thing but that's OT... everyone who played DCS A10 knows that finding and locking targets is a real pain in the ass :x)

I wish they'd remove the auto contrast, didn't find a way to do it via scripting, guess it's not possible at all.

beside the fact, that it looks horrible, ArmA's thermal view is destroying balance in multiplayer games (especially PVP)... Thermal view simply is way to powerful (just like the tab - fire and forget thing but that's OT... everyone who played DCS A10 knows that finding and locking targets is a real pain in the ass :x)

Back in A2 there weren't too much rifles with thermal scopes mounted, that changed in OA I guess, coop and pvp went a tad bit downhill then.

That said it's not Armas or BIs fault, it's the mission makers choice which weapons to allow. (most public missions are using unrestricted VAS, you get the idea)

I usually prefer missions where you have to rely on ironsights/close combat optics.

Engaging targets at 600m with good ol' trusty lee-ann, those were the days. :yay:

This discussion seems awfully familiar...hmm...where have I seen something like this....can't quite put my finger on it....right there at the...AH that's right.

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=2899

No thermal video or picture will likely look the same due to the plethora of options on modern equipment to adjust the image..but anywho.

Edited by NodUnit

Not sure if it has changed or if I have a mod changing it. But the thermal optics of the laser designator are now completely black except for heat sources. previously it used to be greenish and you could make out the terrain, now it's just heat only it seems.

Anyone else getting this?

I can't even access thermal anymore for like range finders and laser designators. I'm guessing a bug or something.