Sign in to follow this  
stilton

Improved radio chatter... Enemy - Man - 100m - to the - Right

Enemy - Man - 100m - to the - Right

But is he really though? You mean hes on the right of relative direction the squad has been traveling in, correct?

So he's might not be on my right if say, im looking off to the flank of the formation... Also, Where on the right exactly... ?

Probably the last thing BIS want is the suggestion of overhauling something as integral as the radio considering it seems tied into targetting... But this is purely about the voice-chat coming back from the AI.

Is there any chance BIS will refine the radio chatter so when AI call targets they give more useful information?

All it's really missing currently is a compass bearing... I think

But also, since i'm on the subject -- Why do troops call out friendlies, on first meeting them, as 'enemy contact' ?

I'm pretty sure it's because its night/foggy and on first meeting them they're 'unidentified' to the current group.. But still, it doesnt seem right that they should be called out as 'enemy' contacts?

I'm not in the military... So i'm just sayin :)

I actually see what they're saying and then check the map for the enemy dot. That's a far more accurate depiction of an enemy's position than some random soldier shouting "MAN! 500 METERS!"

And then I use mrb_voicestop.

One thing I hate is the "COVERING FIRE!" shout. Why did they even put this in the game? Not only does the AI say it at inappropriate times, but nobody actually fires while saying it. The dumbest thing about it is that there is no such thing as covering fire in this game against AI because there is no suppression mechanic. The only argument you could make is that it's for cosmetic purposes, but I'd much rather the AI didn't keep yelling something that I can't actually do. It just reminds me that I can't do it.

One thing I hate is the "COVERING FIRE!" shout. Why did they even put this in the game? Not only does the AI say it at inappropriate times, but nobody actually fires while saying it. The dumbest thing about it is that there is no such thing as covering fire in this game against AI because there is no suppression mechanic. The only argument you could make is that it's for cosmetic purposes, but I'd much rather the AI didn't keep yelling something that I can't actually do. It just reminds me that I can't do it.

Hell yeah, I'm always rolling my eyes to the sky when I hear them sayin' that...

Hehe, finally found my pet peeve thread. The enemy callouts are broken - I've seen my own avatar call out "Enemy infantry! 75 BACK" -while Im facing that direction. Ive heard "Enemy -Right Flank" when they are clearly center and sometimes even more to the left. Then you have the "Infantry 500!" -without knowing who or what, I'd much prefer the old "Unknown". Find situational awareness so bad that I am forced to turn on all Recruit level helpers because 80% I have no idea what either I or my men are talking about. Couple that with AI now spotting 2 Clicks (perhaps a mod) when I can't find who they're talking about with my Binocs out all the while they're in prone position looking ahead with no sights....

We need an STHUD built in that also highlights the icon of the player speaking so to better gauge what orientation the guy is speaking and what not. In RL simple body gestures would tell us what translates to gobs of feedback in this game -it's just too hard to understand what they are talking about. At this point of the series I was hoping it would have evolved into not only better clock directions but also add elevation, if an enemy is inside, upstairs etc...

The 'Covering Fire!!!" also needs to go. I would expect that sort of screaming orders for Omaha beach with artillery shells booming all around you -not so much for current spec ops/asymmetric warfare. Ive read that the verbal barks made by AI are 'hearable' by enemies in the game -why the fook would recon go screaming every 5 seconds? Please, a simple command to just "stfu -going in silent"

Just turn off AI voice sounds in options. Much better without them

The 'Covering Fire!!!" also needs to go. I would expect that sort of screaming orders for Omaha beach with artillery shells booming all around you -not so much for current spec ops/asymmetric warfare. Ive read that the verbal barks made by AI are 'hearable' by enemies in the game -why the fook would recon go screaming every 5 seconds? Please, a simple command to just "stfu -going in silent"

I used that command in the army in RL during assaults. Well not that exactly, as a squad leader I had a nick for each of my two fire teams, and shout it ( for instance: Red go! ). It was not as loud as in the game, just enough so the men could hear it.

Also in CQC instead of a shout, a tap in the shoulder.

About the information about the possible enemies, it should be more clear indeed, you can't say right or left, unless you point or say a specific geographic point nearby. You can use coordinates or the watch numbers.

I miss the hand gestures. Could be implemented that when you push a button a radial menu appears and you select with the mouse.

Only really annoying/false (default) chatter is from ambient civil groups that say 'move 100m right, etc', with every waypoint. Civils have the same 'calling out' as millitary units/groups.

Only really annoying/false (default) chatter is from ambient civil groups that say 'move 100m right, etc', with every waypoint. Civils have the same 'calling out' as millitary units/groups.

Wait, what? You don't shout "UNKNOWN MAN, 50 METERS!" at random passerby while walking down the street?

Weirdos.

"TWO, GO TO THAT TREE" says the ARMA squad leader standing in the middle of a huge forest...

In OFP, you had a clock pop up (if it was enabled) when the AI would call out enemies. Many decried it as a cheat, but for single player, it was the easiest way to quickly find where the heck the AI was talking about. I'd love to have a clock again (with the option to disable it for players and servers) rather than the "to the right" nonsense. As was mentioned, that usually means I just pull up the map and have to find them that way.

Yeah, going worse. In Arma 2, the team members discovering an enemy always tell a cardinal point,a bearing or a clock hour, showing the clock.

Now, sometimes a bearing or cardinal point (useful), and sometimes an ambiguous direction. I can't understand why the changed it for worse. It wan't perfect before, but at least the info was always useful.

In arma 2 they used the clock, but to understand them you had to enable the clock difficulty option because it was pretty hard to tell which way was twelve oclock with the ai. They also used right left etc. and caridnal points. I swear in alpha they were using compass bearings occasionally and I was really happy with that. I believe its the best way. But now they only seem to use left right back and front... so yeah its kind of gotten worse. I wonder if this just slipped through the devs attention in one of the patches. Because it did used to be better in alpha or beta, and the devs did say one of their goals was to improve radio protocol...

Wait, what? You don't shout "UNKNOWN MAN, 50 METERS!" at random passerby while walking down the street?

Weirdos.

You mean this isn't advanced military training? Haven't you heard of stranger danger? haha.

Yeah the AI system is pretty much from OFP. I still liked OFP better just because of the simplistic style and the chalky atmosphere. Arma3 just bores the hell out of me, and the recycled AI system (ignoring any slight improvements it may have had) is just funny to note. It pretty much doesn't do anything that couldn't be done in Operation Flashpoint (OFP), aka the first game released on the RV engine. In fact, the pure simplicity of that game and the AI there made it almost enjoyable. The AI now are pretty much the same, but trying to recognize all these random complexities in the game which make them actually react dumber. I think the problem for the most part is the fact that most people who don't spend more than 600$ on their computers, it's like 60+ FPS singleplayer and 15-25 fps multiplayer. Needless to say, 20 fps is a nice average fps.. but a slideshow is like 10 fps. Even speaking for those who may have spent 2000$ on a grand gaming computer: on Arma they might still get like 20 fps on multiplayer just because the server/entities are overloaded. It doesn't matter if you know how to do shit and you spend 600$ and someone spends 2000$ for the same thing. The fact is that top gaming computers have performance issues because of the engine. 20fps is the bare minimum for a functional animation. 30fps is the standard. I'm not getting a 4.0ghz 1000$ CPU (proper) just so mine doesn't choke on MP and force me to like 20 fps. Getting 30 fps would be fucking amazing on a laggy server, but you realize this isn't even your computers problem and you shouldn't have to spend money to overcome coding difficulties on BI's part. I was happy about the optimizations at first, but I must get real with them, they have done barely anything. I get the same low fps on Ultra or Low and it's been like that for ages for most players. Pretending that they boosted performance a bit is just funny. There's many issues which simply make Arma completely boring. And on that note, "improved radio chatter" or updating the archaic AI chat system from the first engine should be the least of their concerns.

Edited by Leg