Sign in to follow this  
sancron

Bohemia on the right way with Arma 3?

Is Bohemia going the right way with Arma 3?  

213 members have voted

1. 1. Is Bohemia going the right way with Arma 3?

• Yes
    • No
    • I'm not sure

Personally i think, BI have the wrong focus. Why we need a Launcher? We have Arma3Sync or/and PlayWithSix (to quote only two), this Tools also Cover the Option to Download Mods and Update it, if necessary. And what's with Mods on Steam-Workshop? Most modder was say, No to this Option in cause of loose the whole controle over his own Mods. And what BI does? They gave nothing about these and implement it. And please don't say, when you don't want to use it, don't use it. What is with People, stealing Content and publish it on Steam Workshop under they own Name? What's they option to remove such things from Steams Crapshop.

For me, the whole Arma 3 Series goes the wrong way. Nice features, but no Focus on the Community Wishes, Where the most was made in front of the Alpha Release to the public: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?125819-ArmA-3-Community-wishes-amp-ideas-NO-DISCUSSION why is there such a post, but nobody cares about?

We loose talented Modders in cause of the path, Bohemia is going with Arma 3. Most people i know are switch back to Arma 2. As a result of decisions Bohemia was made in Arma 3. I don't say that Arma 3 is bad at all. But Bohemia please go back an hear better to the Community and they wishes. It's not a solution to hope that modders would be do the work for you, and bring that, what most people wishes.

But that's alls my opinion. My Question is: "Is Bohemia going the right way with Arma 3?"

I play arma three cause of the more realistic range of movement

I think they are on the right path. Most people that complain rather just have Arma 2 with better graphics then any real changes to game play. Also, like I stated to other people, it took a good long time before Arma 2 had built up a real modding community. I can say the same thing will probably happen to Arma 3 as well.

It would be easier to discuss if you refrained from using words like "Crapshop". It is not an argument, it's just name-calling and frankly, a it seems to be a bit childish.

I have never heard modders complaining about Steam Workshop - could you please give me a link to such a discussion?

Well, also I would lead this thing towards perfection through another paths. And it hurts, when I see, so such extraordinary game with such potential of beeing "my perfection" is leaded elsewhere and the manpower isn't allocated "right". But it's not democracy here, it's their game, they can do with it, whatever they want. And they have to choose one way, while each user has own preferences, own visions of perfection, usually more or less contradictory with the visions of the others, as for priorities. In such case best may be to choose just own way as the right one. I probably would.

Still shame because IMO... <futile grumbling & whining continues here>.

I think, to create something successful is needed both - own vision and an open ear. Priorities and proportions may vary, but IMO fidelity to the first is more important than focusing on mutually contradictory "Community Wishes", if we want to create something extraordinary, not only trying to make it as popular as possible.

Also some things may be imposed by limiting factors - this way, or no way.

However. It's not obligatory, but IMO would be nice to hear sometimes from BI's side at least why they did not introduce/fix this or that, why this way, not the other - better understanding reduces frustration and boosts morale, "Silent Olympus" syndrome on the contrary. I can guess, some explanations was given here and there, eg saw explanation, why Steam at all in the first place, just drown in the flood of BI Forums' content.

Maybe some sticked "counter-feedback" thread with disabled discussion solely for such purpose - to show decision makers feedback on the users' feedback? Let Olympus thunders from time to time in direct response to prayers.

Edited by Rydygier

They cannot add a extreme fatigue system and extreme weapon sway, when there is no possibility to counter it. In words: weapon rest.

I am a huge fan of realism, and i always try to use mods to make the game harder or more real.

But this update is just over the top.

The devs are goin from one extreme to anotherone.

- 1st u could run way too far, now you hardly can run 50meters.

- 1st u could shoot right after running 300m, now you have to wait 1minute after running 30meters, so that the sway is fine again.

Why not go somewhere to a healthy middle??

Not sure what changed in the matter of body armor, but yesterday i needed often more then 5 hits to center mass on OPFOR soldiers with MX, to get them down. (range around 20 meters)

Flying with the pawnee, you now have to directy hit the enemy so they die. 3 meters next to your HE rocket impact they will still live.

The game for me, as mostly infantry player, is broken with this new update. (Its the first time, since my 14 years of Operationflashpoint, Arma Game time)

Edited by KrAziKilla

Nobody is ever satisfied, eh...

This update is fantastic. The problem is the time it will take for the marksman DLC to arrive, which will hopefully include all gunplay mechanics (resting, sway control, etc) that this new update necessitated.

Up until then, adapt and overcome.

Nobody is ever satisfied, eh...

I play this game since 14 years, and i dont care bout most bugs, performance problems and much more.

I like the game and i am mostly satisfied. But what happend now is beyond my pain level endurance.

And tell me, with the obvious flaws, how can you be satisfied now.

Or you are mostly playing OPFOR and/or driving cars/tanks? Then the game is still fine i guess.

Edited by KrAziKilla

The problem is the time it will take for the marksman DLC to arrive, which will hopefully include all gunplay mechanics (resting, sway control, etc) that this new update necessitated.

that's pretty far fetched, it would be nice, sure, but did BIS ever even hint at adding weapon resting?

that's pretty far fetched, it would be nice, sure, but did BIS ever even hint at adding weapon resting?

They haven't confirmed any specific features for the marksmen DLC, only that it would be a "complete overhaul of shooting mechanics". Whatever that means.

Weapon resting would be a logical choice as far as features for that DLC go, but so far everything is speculative.

My view on ARMA 3 game is quite disappointing for now rarely play as much 1 hour just to see the progress of the game. Anyway I think that this game has a future but needs time to mature in the poorest areas of the game. I see you are improving the game slowly with each upgrade but at a slow pace, can be seen that both weapons, sounds, movements, animations and some extra content is being done with very good results. I believe the game needs time and good ideas for the gameplay in general.

I'm satisfied. The upcoming DLC-s would be awesome. It will contains the most waiting features and I hope that they will fix the most annoying issues too in the near future.

I'm inclined to vote yes, because finally Arma 3 starts to feel like a full game; there's tutorials, a campaign, scenario's, multiplayer with different 'modes', steamworkshop integration and even a mod launcher.

However, I think that the dev team should have taken a more 'DayZ' type of approach; they should have made more significant changes in the engine, BEFORE making all the content. Now we're stuck with a lot of stuff that gets written off as 'too big of a change, would break everything'. It has to happend some time, so I'm not sure if making more (workaround-)features will benefit the developers in future Arma games.

Personally i think, BI have the wrong focus. Why we need a Launcher? We have Arma3Sync or/and PlayWithSix (to quote only two), this Tools also Cover the Option to Download Mods and Update it, if necessary. And what's with Mods on Steam-Workshop? Most modder was say, No to this Option in cause of loose the whole controle over his own Mods. And what BI does? They gave nothing about these and implement it. And please don't say, when you don't want to use it, don't use it. What is with People, stealing Content and publish it on Steam Workshop under they own Name? What's they option to remove such things from Steams Crapshop.

For me, the whole Arma 3 Series goes the wrong way. Nice features, but no Focus on the Community Wishes, Where the most was made in front of the Alpha Release to the public: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?125819-ArmA-3-Community-wishes-amp-ideas-NO-DISCUSSION why is there such a post, but nobody cares about?

We loose talented Modders in cause of the path, Bohemia is going with Arma 3. Most people i know are switch back to Arma 2. As a result of decisions Bohemia was made in Arma 3. I don't say that Arma 3 is bad at all. But Bohemia please go back an hear better to the Community and they wishes. It's not a solution to hope that modders would be do the work for you, and bring that, what most people wishes.

But that's alls my opinion. My Question is: "Is Bohemia going the right way with Arma 3?"

Pretty agree with that. This game has a such a lake of content compared to ArmA2 (not speaking about mods). Just to remember that ArmA 2 OA came out only 1 year after ArmA 2 with TON of new content. So what changed at BIS? My guess is that BIS has move a good bunch of his workforce on the more lucrative DAYZ SA :(

Edited by Major_Shepard

Pretty agree with that. This game has a such a lake of content compared to ArmA2 (not speaking about mods). Just to remember that ArmA 2 OA came out only 1 year after ArmA 2 with TON of new content. So what changed at BIS? My guess is that BIS has move a good bunch of his workforce on the more lucrative DAYZ SA :(

Yeah, let's build up some conspiration theory!

What happened with BI? They :

1) tried to change their work ways by trying to get things released with far less bugs. And imho, this change is a success, A3 release was far less buggy than previous installments. I'm not saying it's perfect, just that we have seen 100x less bugs&bitching at release. Armed Assault and ArmA2 were UNPLAYABLE for many at release, people just magically forgot that.

2) It means everything they do is SLOWER

3) they have lost many months because of the famous jail incident and its impact on the overall project and direction change.

You'd prefer they'd release more content? That's your opinion.

I like that they continue to add mecanisms. They still could go a little better on the hit&armor department, and be less drastic with the fatigue sway, but overall I like it. For the first time ever, going up a hill feels like going up a hill IRL. The gear in your backpack matters, you don't go full run with a MG, a launcher, and 4 missiles in a backpack, you have to manage. Spare the load, use transport vehicles. That's awesome to me. The fatigue just made me playing this game again.

I don't care much for not having shitloads of versions for a armed car or whatever. I have now more reason to use the "few" we have at hand.

Totally agree

Back to arma 2 today and big surprise, arma 2 on my mechanical hard drive launch faster than arma 3 on my SSD...

Yeah, let's build up some conspiration theory!

What happened with BI? They :

1) tried to change their work ways by trying to get things released with far less bugs. And imho, this change is a success, A3 release was far less buggy than previous installments. I'm not saying it's perfect, just that we have seen 100x less bugs&bitching at release. Armed Assault and ArmA2 were UNPLAYABLE for many at release, people just magically forgot that.

2) It means everything they do is SLOWER

3) they have lost many months because of the famous jail incident and its impact on the overall project and direction change.

You'd prefer they'd release more content? That's your opinion.

I like that they continue to add mecanisms. They still could go a little better on the hit&armor department, and be less drastic with the fatigue sway, but overall I like it. For the first time ever, going up a hill feels like going up a hill IRL. The gear in your backpack matters, you don't go full run with a MG, a launcher, and 4 missiles in a backpack, you have to manage. Spare the load, use transport vehicles. That's awesome to me. The fatigue just made me playing this game again.

I don't care much for not having shitloads of versions for a armed car or whatever. I have now more reason to use the "few" we have at hand.

I am not comparing ArmA 2 and ArmA 3 at game start but what they have done in 1 year in comparison.

You seems to forget that ArmA 2 OA not only bringed content and features to the table but also fixed a lot of bugs and server issues.

I remember that ArmA 2 OA was pretty stable at that time.

Edited by Major_Shepard

I am not comparing ArmA 2 and ArmA 3 at game start but what they have done in 1 year in comparison.

You seems to forget that ArmA 2 OA not only bringed content and features to the table but also fixed a lot of bugs and server issues.

I remember that ArmA 2 OA was pretty stable at time.

I'd say they stick with their much slower "bugfix/bugfree" dev mantra. The last update for example has been a planned (for months) "little" engine fix (which broke may addons, but they warned since a long time), that would have been either never touched, or pushed on our throats before.

I don't know the BI staff atm, for some part of OA they used a 3rd party studio. I don't remember if this studio has been acquired since or not, tbh :)

And yes, ofc, they are spread on many different subjects (DayZ, TakeOn:XXXXX, etc...), but as far as I understood, they really changed how they work, and this feels, in terms of release quality (again, I'm not saying they do it fine, but it was worse before ;) ), and unfortunately in terms of timing.

The launcher comes with the Bootcamp update that provides a new way to learn how to play ArmA 3 for the news players, not everybody know about Arma3Sync or PlayWithSix.

And please stop saying that kind of things with the Steam Workshop. I mean it will not hurt anybody because of two reason:

1. If the Workshop gain in popularity (with popular addons updated regularly) people will just vote down the stolen content and signal it.

2. If nobody use the Workshop and stick to ArmAholic, PWS, A3Sync etc... who cares ? Yes it's bad but if the major part of players don't use it ?

]1. If the Workshop gain in popularity (with popular addons updated regularly) people will just vote down the stolen content and signal it.

Ok but when i am a Modder, and some one made a Modpack using my work or steal my Work and publish ist on Steam Workshop, have i any chance to get it removed? Look back in the German Community, there was a leak from the TF141(GAF) Mod in the arma2base Forum, the Link was get removed fast. But what happen, when such things happen on Steam Workshop? And don't blame me, and say that nobody would be download such leaks.

I see no postivi aspect for Mods on Workshop at all. And about new Players, correct me if i am wrong, but the most new players would join a Community, that already use Mods and Updater like PWS or A3S. And i was look into the Launcher, at this Time the Launcher only Support Mods listet, that was downloaded by Workshop. Mods manual downloaded must be include during a parameter. So that's not reallly newbie friendly.

My answer is no.

If it's about the core gamplay... it's a mess. Launcher, Bootcamp... cool. I am more interested in working MP.

I see no postivi aspect for Mods on Workshop at all.

Except a nicer, faster, cleaner way to install mods and have them all gathered at one place?

Ok but when i am a Modder, and some one made a Modpack using my work or steal my Work and publish ist on Steam Workshop, have i any chance to get it removed? Look back in the German Community, there was a leak from the TF141(GAF) Mod in the arma2base Forum, the Link was get removed fast. But what happen, when such things happen on Steam Workshop? And don't blame me, and say that nobody would be download such leaks.

I see no postivi aspect for Mods on Workshop at all. And about new Players, correct me if i am wrong, but the most new players would join a Community, that already use Mods and Updater like PWS or A3S. And i was look into the Launcher, at this Time the Launcher only Support Mods listet, that was downloaded by Workshop. Mods manual downloaded must be include during a parameter. So that's not reallly newbie friendly.

I don't know. I don't think the Steam Workshop is a good solution too. It's just I think that people are overreacting.

I didn't join any community when I played ArmA for the first time. I was testing things on the editor and played some missions and only discovered Armed Assault Info and Armaholic by myself after doing some research.

Not everyone plays/discovers/joins the game the same way as you do. :)