Sign in to follow this  
spanishsurfer

BIS' New Game Launcher

Sure it wouldn't be a waste but there's no reason it CAN'T be like or better than PlayWithSix. To release just a basic arma/mod launcher would be so amateur and disappointing. This tool done right could really change the game and the player count would increase as word got out.

Baby steps.

Baby steps.

Indeed, the new game launcher is a step in the right direction. Im sure we will get a good launcher, which can be developed and improved upon over time.

Sounds like the server thing is confirmed by the new SITREP, but it doesn't say we get it now. It is planned for the future.

Source:

More features are certainly planned. Think about the aforementioned mod support, as well as mod presets and more advanced use-cases such as handling connection to a server with Workshop add-ons.

Cue manly squee.

Im sure it will be download mods from workshop. But i'm also sure that at least half of the modders will refuse to use the workshop. XD

I think they'd be idiots for not using it. I feel that Armaholic and Steam are the best way to showcase your mods.

Why exactly do people think modders won't use the workshop?

I think it will be a great addition, HOWEVER

My greatest fear (and probably the modder's as well) is that people will reupload mods that aren't theirs.

In my opinion, the single most important feature to the mods workshop is to have a way for mods to be marked as "official" (that is, by the original author).

This would be similar to the way armaholic.com entries are put up, placed there only after the author of a mod posts on the BI forums.

In this way, the armaholic.com page and the post are linked. The workshop item must be linked in this same way, and all linked mods should have an "official" icon on or next to them.

This will allow illegal reuploads to be tracked down more efficiently, and give the original author the most credit.

Anyone will still be able to post their content on the workshop, but if they want to have the "official" sticker, they need to enter their mod on the forums/armaholic personally.

Just my 2 cents, I want the workshop to work, but I want the modders to get credit where it's due and eliminate stealing.

Why exactly do people think modders won't use the workshop?

I think it will be a great addition, HOWEVER

My greatest fear (and probably the modder's as well) is that people will reupload mods that aren't theirs.

In my opinion, the single most important feature to the mods workshop is to have a way for mods to be marked as "official" (that is, by the original author).

This would be similar to the way armaholic.com entries are put up, placed there only after the author of a mod posts on the BI forums.

In this way, the armaholic.com page and the post are linked. The workshop item must be linked in this same way, and all linked mods should have an "official" icon on or next to them.

This will allow illegal reuploads to be tracked down more efficiently, and give the original author the most credit.

Anyone will still be able to post their content on the workshop, but if they want to have the "official" sticker, they need to enter their mod on the forums/armaholic personally.

Just my 2 cents, I want the workshop to work, but I want the modders to get credit where it's due and eliminate stealing.

That'd be easy to solve - addon author who creates a thread will give a workshop link anyway. Any other uploads are obviously non-legit an can be handled via "report" mechanics - just like if someone tries to re-release stolen addon here on the forums

As far as I know there's a limit in the steamworkshop file size uploaded.. 100 mb or I'm wrong?

As far as I know there's a limit in the steamworkshop file size uploaded.. 100 mb or I'm wrong?

In 2012 limit was 100mb , in 2013 it was raised to 200mb - so i think its still 200mb

I wish the server had a option to add a address from where to download those files instead of workshop, otherwise this will cause many issues like with missions (which is not good)

Edited by RobertHammer

As it sounds, they will start with a rather basic solution.

The whole sync client to server / sync client to mission requirement is not part of the first scope, and probably some time away.

Very good post DarkWanderer. :)

Though it still isn't clear what kind of recourse addon makers have if their work (or an unlicensed derivative thereof) is uploaded to the Steam Workshop without their permission.

Yeah mods can be reported, and I could be wrong, but I don't think Valve/Steam moderates the workshops for non-valve games, I believe that is up to the devs of said game.

As someone has said before, the one problem with Workshop is Auto-updating. I don't think you can disable that.

Only way I can see around that is to also have servers subscribed to said mod so they update at the same time. That is how it is done in Garry's Mod.

But I don't know if Arma 3 is going to support that.

Edited by Tuskin38

Very good post DarkWanderer. :)

Though it still isn't clear what kind of recourse addon makers have if their work (or an unlicensed derivative thereof) is uploaded to the Steam Workshop without their permission.

Yeah mods can be reported, and I could be wrong, but I don't think Valve/Steam moderates the workshops for non-valve games, I believe that is up to the devs of said game.

Well, there are both regular "report" button and a DMCA takedown request (on steam itself), so options are open. Whether they work is subject to test, but I'd believe Valve would take DMCA seriously.

If BIS would also have rights to remove workshop entries, I'd say all bases are covered...

Edited by DarkWanderer

Looks simple. Maybe a bit too simple? I don't know, I still welcome this as an improvement.

Looks simple. Maybe a bit too simple? I don't know, I still welcome this as an improvement.

People will still be confused. The more KISS the better.

Hey guys, the initial release is going to be very simple (as Joris details in here: SITREP). If it works, we can build on that.

Hey guys, the initial release is going to be very simple (as Joris details in here: SITREP). If it works, we can build on that.

Still it has a very slick and fresh look. I like it very much. Thanks for your effort and work.

Looking at the launcher today, looks good BIS. I'm ready for the next baby step, add-on integration with servers. :)

Either way i like PWS, just like turtles.

Can a forum mod please move the posts about the legal discussion to the steam workshop thread in this forum. Thanks

I'd really like to hear more on the actual launcher, not this legal argument. Does anyone have a screen of the utility and what it looks like?

I'd really like to hear more on the actual launcher, not this legal argument. Does anyone have a screen of the utility and what it looks like?

If you are on Dev.branch, you can find it in Arma3 main folder named arma3launcher.exe

http://i.imgur.com/T5URpqC.png (759 kB)

I print-screened these and then cropped them, so that's why they look so strange :p The black background is my desktop.

Launcher

Parameters menu

Addons menu

Settings menu (in the bottom right, the gear icon)

The Bohemia Interactive, Workshop, Support and Feedback buttons take you the BI website, Arma 3 Steam Workshop, the BI Support website and the Feedback tracker, respectively.

I was probably also ninja'd.

Thanks CaptainObvious & barakokula31, looking at it now myself. Anyone know if this will have FTP support, for those of us out there that use/create custom repositories.

Edited by Mattastic