Sign in to follow this  
navy198523

Concept for a new game using VBS/Arma engine.

First off before posting I want to apologize in advance if this is in the wrong area, I searched as well to make sure a post wasn't created, this is just a general discussion about an Idea and wanted to know what the community thought about it just to strike up ideas.

I was thinking the other night, what if you could use the VBS/ARMA engine for things out side of mil sim, like opening it up to a social game. What I mean by this, keep the mil sim if wanted but add an aspect of being a social game as well with dedicated servers. Could draw in a different variety of players in that regard. Almost like Island life but having a political system and mixing it with mil sim as an actual functioning country. At the same time could have different maps/ countries and these countries could be managed by people voted in to office and could declare wars on each other and that's where the military aspect could come in. Would take this to an entire different level of mil sim. Would be simulated politics with mil sim.

Like I said before JUST AN IDEA. I haven't even worked out all the kinks with it, just was thinking something like that would be cool.

Edited by navy198523

Takistan life does quite a good job, and the Military Aspect works really well (especially adding in the roleplay aspect).

Well you don't know what the Enfusion will become.

If someone were to make a huge map with multiple large islands, I would be willing to take up the challenge on my free time. A persistent world where players work together on a team to conquer the map against other teams? Would require 3 islands, one per team. Or 3 main islands and other small islands for resources, or conflict middle-grounds. There would be an economy where the leader's of each team/nation must utilize in order to purchase new equipment for their troops. Base management/construction would be a factor too, even going as far as building towns to support player housing/garrisons.

Beware of Artillery and Airstrikes :)

There can also be a civilian factor in the game - workers if you will. Civilians will gather resources, increasing the team's overall money income.

Edited by zooloo75

See that is what I am talking about, even as far as adding stuff for people that don't want arma for the mil sim, like social sites where they can buy houses like sims and stuff and go to night clubs and all that, like 2 entirely separate game worlds in to one. When I explained this to my friends they thought of Atlis life but I mean actual countries, the problems are player populations, keeping them up. I would try limiting that so the players would be on the few servers. Would be like an open world MMO but real life worlds/ countries. I don't know if the technologies are there for it but it would be unique and different, I think it would draw people from other areas of gaming, I just don't know how you could fit that many people and islands on to one server with the technology out there right now. I love arma and have since it debut in 2001 in the US and I am still here today buying all the games BIS puts out because I support them 100 percent, I would be excited to see something like this done. Like I said in the previous post, was just an Idea I had and just wanted to see what the community thought of it.

The other thing, if there was a way to link servers so each country could have their own server, but some how link them together, I know that it doesn't exist but would be cool, just looking to the way down the road future of mil sims and stuff.

Edited by navy198523

That's not possible (yet?) and I doubt would see much support from the community. After all, the game is a mil-sim and has no reason to attract people that are not into so. The MP aspect of ArmA is horribly polluted enough with the Life and various RP servers and I believe I speak for a majority of the community when I say that we want our game back to its roots.

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk

First off before posting I want to apologize in advance if this is in the wrong area, I searched as well to make sure a post wasn't created, this is just a general discussion about an Idea and wanted to know what the community thought about it just to strike up ideas.

I was thinking the other night, what if you could use the VBS/ARMA engine for things out side of mil sim, like opening it up to a social game. What I mean by this, keep the mil sim if wanted but add an aspect of being a social game as well with dedicated servers. Could draw in a different variety of players in that regard. Almost like Island life but having a political system and mixing it with mil sim as an actual functioning country. At the same time could have different maps/ countries and these countries could be managed by people voted in to office and could declare wars on each other and that's where the military aspect could come in. Would take this to an entire different level of mil sim. Would be simulated politics with mil sim.

Like I said before JUST AN IDEA. I haven't even worked out all the kinks with it, just was thinking something like that would be cool.

Sounds like you want to create a world on the internet that functions just like the actual world does. Could be a huge challenge to make something like this. Something like this might be too advanced for our technology to handle. Arma 3 can barely handle Altis let alone that, although, I don't know how big the maps are for VBS3, but I'm guessing they will not be sufficient enough for your idea.

Sounds like you want to create a world on the internet that functions just like the actual world does. Could be a huge challenge to make something like this. Something like this might be too advanced for our technology to handle. Arma 3 can barely handle Altis let alone that, although, I don't know how big the maps are for VBS3, but I'm guessing they will not be sufficient enough for your idea.

You can fit entire countries into an ArmA map if you pick a small enough country. VBS maps can be A LOT bigger but tend to have less detail. You wouldn't need an entire country either. You can just have several "smaller" maps that correspond to different strategic locations. It would be a challenge though for the rest of it at least if not the maps themselves.

That's not possible (yet?) and I doubt would see much support from the community. After all, the game is a mil-sim and has no reason to attract people that are not into so. The MP aspect of ArmA is horribly polluted enough with the Life and various RP servers and I believe I speak for a majority of the community when I say that we want our game back to its roots.

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk

This really. I'm not quite sure but I wouldn't wish to play anything less in depth functionality wise than arma in the RV engine. I would be of the mindset that there are better engines to enact a 'social' game in - something more streamlined. Besides as zooloo says, the server browser is already clogged with RP stuff I don't care for. (Filter-out mode plz?)