Sign in to follow this  
Korneel

Make Arma Not War - Health Care in Danger

Bohemia Interactive and the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) today shared a

to raise awareness for the topic of ‘Health Care in Danger’. In the video, Christian Rouffaer - head of the ICRC's international humanitarian law and video games project – discusses his role at the ICRC, the ICRC’s Health Care in Danger campaign, and the connection with Bohemia Interactive’s €500,000 Make Arma Not War contest.

The ICRC’s Health Care in Danger campaign, which is part of the organization’s many efforts to protect victims of war, aims to address the current violence against the health care sector - ranging from direct attacks to patients, medical staff and health-care facilities and medical transports, to denial of access to and forced entry and looting of health care facilities. The campaign was launched as a response to an uprising of illegal and violent acts that impede or prevent health care delivery.

Aside from developing practical solutions to improve the safety of health care, the ICRC is also committed to raising public awareness for the problem. This led to the unique collaboration with video game developer Bohemia Interactive, who is well-known for its award-winning Arma® military game series. Looking to create a change in virtual reality which can hopefully be carried into the real world, the two parties set up the Health Care in Danger Special Award as part of Bohemia Interactive’s €500,000 content creation contest for Arma 3. Given to the entry which covers the topic of ‘health care in danger’ the best, the winner(s) of the award will go on a one-week trip to an ICRC mission in a foreign country, organized by the ICRC.

“We’re looking for game content where medevac procedures are more complex. For example, a game mod where providing first-aid to a wounded enemy would be rewarded - or new hospital, ambulance, medical personnel and equipment models, which other players and mission builders can use to enrich their gameplay. We believe that you can get inspiration from many real-life stories from past and present conflictsâ€, said Christian Rouffaer, who also represents the ICRC in the Make Arma Not War jury.

The winners of the Make Arma Not War contest, including the winner(s) of the Health Care in Danger Special Award, will be announced on January 15th, 2015. More information about the Make Arma Not War contest, the rules, prizes, and categories is available on www.makearma.com.

A written interview with Christian Rouffaer about the Make Arma Not War contest can be found at http://www.makearma.com/interviews/icrc-hcid. For more information about the ICRC’s Health Care in Danger campaign, please visit www.healthcareindanger.org.

I am looking forward to this!

Just read the interview - interesting to find out what their work entails.

This quote by Christian is quite a good one for entrants to peruse:

I do not actually have specific expectation outside the health-care-in-danger part of the competition. As an Arma fan, I would be looking for participants to surprise me with a unique sense of innovation, adding little details that make the game even more challenging and demanding: for example cluster munitions detonating long after they were dropped (like in reality), or the appearance of civilians in different locations; or losing points because the player destroyed a building that blocked his/her target, and ended up being a hospital. This would create a sense of limits and better practices.

There's a few good ideas in there to mull over for sure.

Free idea for participants: we badly need at least a script that forces the players to call medevac for wounded soldiers. The latter wouldn't be able to "respawn" unless their previous soldier is back at the hospital! It would lead to nice gameplay and to the end of "naaah don't bother to save me, I'll just respawn" ;).

EDIT: just saw that it is actually proposed in the video ;).

Edited by super-truite

Hi, it’s Christian, the guy (talking too much) on the ICRC video…

Sorry if I haven’t posted a message earlier but I was in Australia.

I just would like to say that starting from today; I’ll be checking the forum every day to answer all your questions regarding the “Health Care in Danger†section of the ARMA 3 contest. I’ll only post my answers on public forums as I don’t want to favor any competitor in particular.

The “Health Care in Danger†campaign is very important for the ICRC but also for all these anonymous men and women who risk their lives to save others every day. This campaign is not about charity, fundraising or lobbying. This campaign is about respect.

Take care and “fire at will†your questions.

Christian Rouffaer

ICRC Bangkok

Well, that's for sure great, unconventional prize. In kind of adventure with many unknowns and valuable experience for the whole life in the same time.

Becasue of that, probably may be named reasons, why the winner could in fact refuse particiaption in that. Basically, not all are suitable/eager for something like this seems to be (physical/menal limitations, language barrier, personal situation...). So one question would be, what will happen in case of such refusal? Award will be given to another contestant, or perhaps simply will not take the place?

There is also question about specifics from the practical side. I'm awared, so because of award specificity, many things simply can't be specified, as unknown. Also we can read, so the winner will have to sign risks accepatation. But anyway would be worthy of asking, how danger may be expected situations, in which winner may be involved? I assume, it is ICRC, who will choose, where to take the winner, perhaps also taking into account specificity of given person. Even, if this will be not any open war/epidemic zone (or will be?), by definition organizations like ICRC are needed, where some kinds of danger situations takes place. So, apart from signed by the winner risks approval, question stays, how will be handled situations (practicaly and legally), when something bad (or even tragic) will actually happen to the winner? How big is/may be statistical risk of such event?

Also, could be specified any requirements, contestant must met (apart understandable conditions mentioned in the interview), to participate in such mission? Some seems logical, but all IMO should be named directly to make things clear. For example if following strict rules of security staff is neccesary (obvious), then necessary seems also communicative English (any other language acceptable? In danger immediate understanding of instructions seems crucial, thus any communications delays (eg translator) seems not acceptable), I suppose. If someone is of poor health, then probably regular mission is not an option, and such person can only choose "visit to the ICRC for a close look at our work in virtual reality simulation".

Finally, is there anything, that may be specified about what exactly the winner may expect during such trip? I mean, what exactly he has to do, on what terms (obligatory/freely), any special treatment (kind of protected observer), or he will be acting and treated more like regular volunteer? Isn't there a real risk, so unprepared "tourist" will hinder ICRC activities or even may put whole mission/its participants at risk due to not appriopriate behavior in unknown to him situations? How in general the winner should prepare for such trip, what will be assured by organizer and about what he must take care on his own?

Edited by Rydygier

Hello Rydygier,

Thank you for the question(s). I see many different points that deserve further explanations.

First of all, I’m not going to tell you fairytales about how dangerous could be our life as ICRC delegate in some contexts. Just a few hours ago, one of my colleagues died in Libya. He was shot by a group of unknown gunmen. So yes, going to such places is restricted to people who are ready and fully aware of the risks. This is one of the reasons why the ICRC is only working with trained professionals.

Having said this, to the question: are you planning to send the winner to Syria, Libya, Afghanistan or Ukraine? The answer is no. The main reason is because we are not offering a “sightseeing†tour to take nice pictures of people who lost everything. The winner will be offered the possibility to participate to the ICRC activities as much as possible. Of course, we would ask the winner his/her opinion before! We have “humanity†as one of our core principles… In the case the winner is not willing to go to a conflict area (we can understand that); we still have dozens of other possible locations as our activities stretch from food assistance to the teaching of the International Humanitarian Law to armed forces. What about joining one of our armed forces delegate during a training session? Depending of what the winner created, he might be offered the possibility to work with me in Bangkok on some new training tools we are currently developing with ARMA 3. I can tell you, even after the military coup, tourists are still flooding the place!

Regarding the language skills, I’m afraid basic English or French (the 2 ICRC official languages) are required to join us in the field. But honestly, if someone throws hundreds of hours into the contest to create something awesome, we would look for a solution! After all, we are a very multicultural organization with people from every corner of the world.

I don’t know if I answered all your questions but the participants to the contest should not be worried, we are going to “customize†that price to make it a unique and useful experience for everybody, the people we are trying to help included as they are the reason behind everything we do.

Take care

Depending of what the winner created, he might be offered the possibility to work with me in Bangkok on some new training tools we are currently developing with ARMA 3. I can tell you, even after the military coup, tourists are still flooding the place!

If you elaborate on that, you could trigger some ideas and participants could probably help and add some nice features to your project! What are the specifics of your training tools ?

Hi super-truite

Well... I cannot really talk about that right now... but will soon release a LOAC (law of armed conflicts) e-learning training video for members of non-state armed groups. This is our latest attempt to reach combatants we cannot have access to directly. We always prefer to train people where they are with one of our 35 armed forces experts but, unfortunately, some regions are currently off limit for security reasons. I think this new training tool will be a brilliant example how Bohemia Interactive supports ICRC in the field of training. I’m sorry; I cannot be more explicit for the moment.

This just gave me an idea of instead just dying instantly (unless the injuries are fatal), black out and wake up in a hospital somewhere in Altis wearing nothing but patient robes. Now recover!

Great idea! You wake up in a hospital with your patient robe and you realize that while you were asleep, hordes of zombies destroyed the world! You are desperate until you notice a good looking pile of books next to your bed… An original copy of the 1949 Geneva Conventions, all 4 volumes + the ADDITIONAL PROTOCOLS!!! Youhou! You feel like the luckiest man in the world!

Then a zombie enters you room and eat your brain while you are trying to understand the difference between an international armed conflict and a non-international armed conflict…

I see potential here.

;-)

I would just say that I am most likely going to participate in this segment of the contest, and only this segment. I think it's great of both BIS to do this, and of your organization Christian.

I guess it will be a mission, but we'll see sometime soon.

Great idea! You wake up in a hospital with your patient robe and you realize that while you were asleep, hordes of zombies destroyed the world! You are desperate until you notice a good looking pile of books next to your bed… An original copy of the 1949 Geneva Conventions, all 4 volumes + the ADDITIONAL PROTOCOLS!!! Youhou! You feel like the luckiest man in the world!

Then a zombie enters you room and eat your brain while you are trying to understand the difference between an international armed conflict and a non-international armed conflict…

I see potential here.

;-)

Changing your story a bit: ...Then a zombie enters your room, a craving for brain is slapped on its face as it charges towards you. Quickly, you react and grab the nearest object which so happens to be a syringe; as the zombie approaches your bed, you jab the syringe into its eye and make a run for it! You exit your room and notice multiple soldiers lying on the floor covered in bite marks, as well as their weapons. You grab the weapon of choice and run out of the hospital and suddenly hear a familiar voice, "Jack! Jack! Get over here!". You run towards your fellow comrade and devise a plan to regroup with the rest of his squad. This is where you, a wounded hospital-gowned warrior, take back Altis from the zombie infestation, curing those recently bitten, evaluating their health, and protecting them. The locals help, forming militias to support the survivors and fight off the zombie hoards. Ultimately a permanent cure is made by a scientist in Kavala, whom is protected by a local militia, but is too surrounded by zombies to distribute it. You know where this is going.

Not a fan of zombies to be honest, but a good story would make it tolerable for me.

Ok, good story but I see some crucial elements missing…

1. Where is Henry Dunant!

2. Where are the brave, courageous, heroic (but still modest) ICRC delegates?

3. We need a lawyer to clarify the legal statue of Zombies with regards to the use of force, against them, in a non-international armed conflict. Hmmm, no, it’s not working… And it’s not an international armed conflict… damn! Ok, we need more lawyers…

LEAVE THE ZOMBIES ASIDE PLEASE or the world will face a lawyers invasion!

:D

Ok, good story but I see some crucial elements missing…

1. Where is Henry Dunant!

2. Where are the brave, courageous, heroic (but still modest) ICRC delegates?

3. We need a lawyer to clarify the legal statue of Zombies with regards to the use of force, against them, in a non-international armed conflict. Hmmm, no, it’s not working… And it’s not an international armed conflict… damn! Ok, we need more lawyers…

LEAVE THE ZOMBIES ASIDE PLEASE or the world will face a lawyers invasion!

:D

Have you read "The zombie autopsies"? It is a rather amazing book, where the humanitarian status of zombies are actually debated in terms of medical ethics. When is it ok to dissect a zombie in order to study them? Read it, it must be quite interesting for someone in your line of work. It's rather well written, too.

And I have a question: The rules states that any contribution to the contest are only allowed to use CBA. I would like to participate in this part of the contest, about health care in danger. My idea is simply to make a mission featuring some of the challanges to humanity war proposes, but in that regard the stock ARMA 3 assets simply doesn't cover it.

Therefore, I simply ask if there is any way to allow the use of "All in ARMA" by Kju, of course if given permission by .Kju and Bohemia Interactive studios. The reason I wan't to use said assets is simply due to the fact that there is humanitarian units in "All in ARMA", assets that stems from ARMA II Operation Arrowhead. They would prove an invaluable asset in a contest like this, for people who would like to make missions but doesn't have the skill to do modeling work or stuff like that.

Edited by aLmAnZo

This « zombie autopsies » book sounds fun (I’m a Si-Fi fan)! If there is a dilemma regarding medical ethics, I can probably read it during my working hours…

Now my turn pointing the finger to some ICRC publications that might be helpful for all contestants.

This one is very heavy but this is our latest version of an IHL manual for members of the armed forces:

http://www.icrc.org/eng/resources/documents/publication/p0431.htm

We also created something very short for operational commanders. It’s a kind of check list with everything a commander should take into consideration when planning a military operation (the main contributor to this publication is a former UK Royal Marine with tons of combat experience)

http://www.icrc.org/eng/resources/documents/publication/p4120.htm

For the people interested by the work of medics dealing with war wounded, this is the reference (it’s a very gruesome book, please be aware of that):

http://www.icrc.org/eng/resources/documents/publication/p4105.htm

Or on first aid

http://www.icrc.org/eng/resources/documents/publication/p0870.htm

You can download the PDF versions for free. I let you explore the database, you might discover something interesting.

Regarding your question on the use of other addons or mods, I don’t really know what to answer! I will check with Bohemia Interactive what could be done about that. The other option is to team-up with somebody else who can create what you need. In the rules, it’s mentioned that we would take up to 2 people for that trip (+ someone from Bohemia Interactive).

Cheers

That's cool stuff, Kydoimos! I'll look for a good place in MERCS, thanks!

Excellent job! This poster is great!

Anti-personnel land mines are not making any distinctions between legitimate targets and civilians/humanitarian workers/health care personnel who might step on them. They are a threat to anyone trying to provide health care services in conflict zones. Like in the real world, ARMA3 gives you the possibility to use anti-personnel land mines. It’s your choice as it was decided (rightly) not to artificially ban such weapons from the game. Like real commanders, you need to choose your means and methods of warfare depending of your objectives and rules of engagements.

Just one remark regarding the use of the Red Cristal emblem on the poster. The emblem is not a problem, the ICRD acronym, yes. I checked the meaning of ICRD and this is a sample of the answer I got:

ICRD - International Center for Religion and Diplomacy

ICRD - Institute for Child Rights and Development (University of Victoria, British Columbia, Canada)

ICRD -Institute for Community Resource Development (Chicago, Illinois)

ICRD - Iredell County Recreation Department (North Carolina)

ICRD - Integrated Cassava Research and Development (Colombia)

ICRD - Information Centre for Rare Diseases

ICRD - Information and Community Relations Department (Makati, Philippines)

Well… ICRC would love to see all these organizations fighting against anti-personnel landmines but they cannot use the Red Cross/Cristal/Crescent together with their names or acronyms. As I said, it’s not a “branding†issue but we need to defend the protective nature of the emblems so they cannot be confused with anything else on the battlefields. This is also the whole point of the Health Care in Danger campaign. The emblems bearers should not be subject to attacks because they are doctors, nurses, ambulances/MEDEVAC crews or members of the Red Cross/Red Crescent Movement.

This poster is a great initiative but I would kindly suggest changing the ICRD to ICRC or the Altis Red Cristal Society!

Cheers

As I said, it’s not a “branding†issue but we need to defend the protective nature of the emblems so they cannot be confused with anything else on the battlefields.

Hi, Christian! Thanks for the response - not quite sure I understand though. Copyright-wise, it should be fine - the red diamond is a geometric shape and the 'ICRD' acronym itself cannot be protected (surely it can't be, right?). Although, as you say, it's not a "branding" issue. If you like, I can try and edit the .png file I saved - yet for other people desiring to use the current .paa it ought to be well within the contest guidelines. The font is Purista semiBold - I also got the license for that. Is it more of a congruity issue? Also, I might be able to provide a royalty free music track for contestants to use by a professional, very Arma-esque composer! Interested? :)

---------- Post added at 07:56 ---------- Previous post was at 07:46 ----------

Ah, I see your point - the acronym in relation to trademark! Yes - however, I feel there is sufficient distance between the services provided. I'll keep the old design and as soon as I have a minute, I'll do an ICRC one too!

I’m sorry Kydoimos, my answer about that topic was in another treads.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?179016-ICRC-authorization

For the emblems, the lawmakers were careful not to define too precisely the shapes and colors of the emblems. This was done to prevent legal arguments around an emblem that would look 99% similar (different tone of red, different shape of the Cristal/Cross/Crescent). So anything that looks roughly like a Red Cross/Cristal/Crescent on a white background is considered protective emblems themselves protected by international laws. So if your “geometric form†is similar to a red cristal on a white background, it’s an emblem :)

It’s not a problem to combine your Red Cristal with the ICRC acronym as we have to right to use it. Armed forces have to the right to use it as well as the national Red Cross/Red Crescent societies like the Australian Red cross or the Iranian Red Crescent. You can take an unarmed APC, declare it’s an ambulance a place a Red Cristal on it, it’s legal! But it would be illegal for any other organizations to use the emblems. We had this discussion with Bohemia Interactive. We agreed that as long as the emblems are used on MEDEVAC vehicles or medical facilities, it is ok. It’s more complicated with the “combat medicsâ€. If the sole purpose of that “combat medic†is to provide health care to wounded, he can use an emblem. If that “combat medic†is just the “first-aid†expert of a platoon with other combat functions, then he should not us an emblem. This is why Bohemia Interactive do not use Red Crystals on the uniforms of the “combat life-saver†available for each factions.

I understand that it might sound complicated as the emblems are not regulated by the same laws than commercial brands. This is why we are taking great care of them so they remain universals symbols of protection and heath care.

Please let me know if you have more questions and, once again, a big thank you for your initiative.

Christian

Okay! Thanks! That makes more sense! Blimey - complicated, huh? So, just to clarify - ICRD with red crystal (as in the current poster) is against the rules and regulations? But ICRC is okay? :)

---------- Post added at 18:04 ---------- Previous post was at 18:03 ----------

I'll try to cobble together some other materials too - which everyone can use. Whether it be for User Textures or Billboards.

---------- Post added at 18:18 ---------- Previous post was at 18:04 ----------

Revised ICRC poster (PAA):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yc50oal3r5mq5v8/Poster_ICRC.paa

Revised ICRC poster (PNG):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z26g6g15tzndtr2/Poster_ICRC.png

---------- Post added at 18:23 ---------- Previous post was at 18:18 ----------

Also, I was reading a very, very interesting article in a book on modern warfare and the ICRC's position on drones and automated weapons. Apparently, the law is having a hard time keeping up with technology, and culpability with automated systems is fast becoming a bit of a grey area (legally speaking). Any ideas there, for a poster? Billboard? It's interesting to speculate what the future relationship would be between the ICRC and this new way of fighting wars.

At your service! I’m glad my explanations were clear (somehow).

Regarding the ICRC position on armed drones and automated weapons, we publisher several articles I can share the links with you:

http://www.icrc.org/eng/resources/documents/interview/2013/05-10-drone-weapons-ihl.htm

this page is about IHL and new technologies:

http://www.icrc.org/eng/war-and-law/contemporary-challenges-for-ihl/ihl-new-technologies/index.jsp

I don’t think new technologies will radically affect the way we interpret the spirit of the law. The principles of distinction or proportionality will still apply even if giant robots are deployed on future battlefields. It’s trickier with new methods of warfare like cyber-warfare. But as long as your targeting is right, it won’t be an issue.

If you have precise questions, I can always send them to my colleagues in Geneva who are dealing with that kind of issues on daily basis. I’m just the video game guy… :D

Cheers

I've had a chat with the composer I mentioned, he's very interested in working on a musical track which the community can use in their 'Healthcare in Danger' themed missions / scenarios / add-ons / etc. He's very good and I feel he really captures something of the Arma series. :)

---------- Post added at 19:49 ---------- Previous post was at 19:30 ----------

Thanks for the links too - made for really interesting reading!