EMP Pack

V0.1 Alpha

The EMP Pack will feature different tools that will be effective against any and all vehicles, along with autonomous turrets.

Planned Features-

EMP Mine (Name will come later)

EMP Charge (Name will come later)

Current Focus-

Custom models for Mine/Charge

Custom configs for Mine/Charge

Custom sound for Mine/Charge

Members-

Coding/Configs: flyinpenguin

Modeling/Textures: N_Icomach

Edited by N_Icomach
V0.1 Alpha Release

IIRC EMP has no sound. It's just there. Not like a deep thrumming or something like in the movies.

But that's not very fun for gameplay.

IIRC EMP has no sound. It's just there. Not like a deep thrumming or something like in the movies.

But that's not very fun for gameplay.

A sound for the charging of the capacitors like the one you hear from defibrillators would be nice though.

A sound for the charging of the capacitors like the one you hear from defibrillators would be nice though.

That could be an option. Im currently just trying to go through the configs and get it ingame and working like a normal satchel. From there I can actually work on the EMP parts.

Another cool thing that we can do is play a sound for when the turrets and vehicles get knocked out. Im currently thinking some sort of electrical fizzing sound or the sound of a breaker box sparking.

Quick update. The model is underway and the project is still a go! However both flyinpenguin and I have been busy so that has slowed progress.

The problem is that EMP's won't work against military electronics that are shielded.

For example tanks during research and development phase, and also after each modernization, are tested against EMP's.

size0.jpg

Here is a photo of M1 tank tested against large EMP device to meet EMP survivability requirements.

EMP's are preaty much useless against heavy hardware, and mainly affect not shielded civilian infrastructure.

The problem is that EMP's won't work against military electronics that are shielded.

For example tanks during research and development phase, and also after each modernization, are tested against EMP's.

http://usarmy.vo.llnwd.net/e2/c/images/2012/02/22/236080/size0.jpg

Here is a photo of M1 tank tested against large EMP device to meet EMP survivability requirements.

EMP's are preaty much useless against heavy hardware, and mainly affect not shielded civilian infrastructure.

Well thanks goodness this is in the future. Who knows what improvements they made with the technology by then.

Edited by N_Icomach
Fixed Spelling

Well, physics are physics, armor of vehicle also serves as insulation against EMP pulse. It is like Faraday cage.

Well, physics are physics, armor of vehicle also serves as insulation against EMP pulse. It is like Faraday cage.

You really want to include the word physics in an ArmA title? While I appreciate your thoughts on how emp works in real life this is the armaverse and this mod will continue on the path we currently have laid out. If you don't like it then feel free to not use it. If you have any useful criticism as always we are keen to listen.

Well I only wanted to point out how this works. Perhaps good idea would be to include some sort of size and power difference as well as range of pulse range?

For example small EMP "mines" could disable GPS and smaller vehicles, while large EMP devices placed in sort of containers would have some effect on heavy vehicles, although by not completely disabling them, but for example disabling some features like laser range finders, optics?

Well I only wanted to point out how this works. Perhaps good idea would be to include some sort of size and power difference as well as range of pulse range?

For example small EMP "mines" could disable GPS and smaller vehicles, while large EMP devices placed in sort of containers would have some effect on heavy vehicles, although by not completely disabling them, but for example disabling some features like laser range finders, optics?

That is possible, I'll bring it up to flyingpenguin and see what he thinks and to see if its even possible to disable those in game.

@Damian90

Thank you for some cool info Damian90! We are currently discussing exactly what will be affected and how it will be affected. We will take the info into consideration while we are deciding.

And yes we are planning on different ranges. IE, the satchel may be larger than the mine. As for the disabling GPS's, lights, lasers, certain optics, rangefinders; yes we are thinking about this. However, early versions will be crude. Like removing the GPS or rangefinder from the player's inventory. Down the road, we will try to make the GPS display a black screen, ACO sight without the reticle, etc.

@byohzrd

Thats an interesting type of EMP. We may implement this type in the future, but for now we are just sticking with getting a working version. Once that is done, we will worry about perfecting it. So its too early to say, yes we are doing that. But we will add it to our list of features we are considering!

Edited by flyinpenguin

Neat idea.

What would the EMP do the to a vehicle, in game ? Disabling it ? Forcing the passengers to leave the vehicle ?

Neat idea.

What would the EMP do the to a vehicle, in game ? Disabling it ? Forcing the passengers to leave the vehicle ?

In the current state we are aiming for it to simply disable the vehicle (Vehicle cant shoot or move) and autonomous turrets. Passengers will be able to leave the vehicle at their digression.

In the current state we are aiming for it to simply disable the vehicle (Vehicle cant shoot or move) and autonomous turrets. Passengers will be able to leave the vehicle at their digression.

Cool. I asked about passengers because i often found myself in situations without explosive devices, where i have no other solutions that to shoot the wheels of an ennemy vehicle to get the AI out of it ( which is basically a form of abuse but whatever, that's ArmA AI for you ). So having another way to get the crew out of a vehicle, without using explosive devices or AI tricks would be great. In this case EMPs.

But anyway, i'm pretty sure when a vehicle is disabled, the AI will automatically leave.

Cool. I asked about passengers because i often found myself in situations without explosive devices, where i have no other solutions that to shoot the wheels of an ennemy vehicle to get the AI out of it ( which is basically a form of abuse but whatever, that's ArmA AI for you ). So having another way to get the crew out of a vehicle, without using explosive devices or AI tricks would be great. In this case EMPs.

But anyway, i'm pretty sure when a vehicle is disabled, the AI will automatically leave.

One of the ideas is to make the engine red so that should make them bail out. However this method is still in testing, dont want to blow up the entire vehicle on accident.

---------- Post added at 11:45 ---------- Previous post was at 10:20 ----------

First render of the mine. Still very WIP and has not been refined in the slightest!

ySNSo1w.jpg

Current Plans for disabled vehicles

Wheeled:

Disable Engine

Tracked:

Disable Engine

Disable or harm the turret (because tanks have manual turret traverse systems)

Helicopter:

Disable Engine

Disable Instruments

Fixed Wing:

Disable Hull enough to turn off engine (Probably will be the most awkward since fixed wing is implemented horribly)

All will be dependent on distance and type. IE, less damage on the fringes of EMP range

Putting a couple more hours into the model, now its starting to resemble what i'm envisioning.

oA9vzxi.jpg

Quick update:

Yes development is still in progress! Due to busy schedules we are working as fast as we can....which is extremely slow. The main model is complete and is being UV mapped and scripting is slow coming.

Finished unwrapping the model. Quick render of the finished untextured model.

Z3JHeCl.jpg