Sign in to follow this  
Cyrano

Satellite Image Overlap Issue

So I've managed to follow a few tutorials and figure a few things out on my own and now I have a terrain I can actually load in ARMA 3, but on the map screen (if I select terrain overlay) and on the map itself, the texture overlap areas look really off. Here's a couple of pics to illustrate:

Original image

In map with terrain clicked on

In game, with striped terrain

Would someone please be kind enough to point me in the right direction? I'm sure the topic has been discussed before, but the only keyword I could think to search with was "overlap" and that didn't help. Thanks in advance!

In the "Samplers" Tab in Terrain Builder > Mapframe Properties panel there's a "Texture layer Size (m) parameter on the bottom at the left hand side...

It's a popdown list and you'll notice it offers a range of sizes based on multiples of your heightmap cell size...

Pick the size closest to 40x40m that you're offered.

At this stage you've changed the way the satellite image and mask are to be sliced up, so you'll need to now go to the "Processing" tab and re-generate the layers according to your new setting - then Re-export the .wrp, repack the map and - it should - be fixed...

B

Edited by Bushlurker

Thank you, Bushlurker, for your reply and suggestion. I had to fight with several parameters to get 32x32m to work (the closest to 40 as you suggested), but when I did, the lines went away.

If your up for it, a little insight into what is/was going on would be helpful. I'd rather learn than have to bug you all for help at every turn. Below is a list of parameters from that page, commented as I assume is appropriate. Any thoughts?

Grid: 1024, Cell: 4, Terrain size: 4096 (clearly the multiple of the first two)

Satellite and Surface images: 4096, Resolution: 1 (again, obvious)

Satellite and Surface tiles: 1024, Desired overlap: 16 (I have no idea if these are ideal. 16 for overlap is out of every tutorial I've seen. I'm also led to believe that the smaller the tile the better, but in order to "Generate Layers" without throwing an error I had to set it this high.)

Texture Layer: 32 (as you suggested, as close to 40 as possible.)

Again, I could play with these settings every time I made a new terrain (and there will be tons as I learn this craft), but any ideas to help narrow down the process (a simple formula would be awesome :)) I would greatly appreciate.

Thanks again!

Edit:

Reading the following:

Example: Assume world size 10240 x 10240 m with 40 m grid (i.e. 256 x 256 grids) , satellite texture with resolution 7680 x 7680 (one landscape grid needs to be covered by a whole number of texels, therefore satellite texture size needs to be a multiple of world size in grids). We want to achieve segment size 512 x 512 texels, and given the 16 texel overlap wanted, one segment will cover 496 x 496 texels. Size of one texel is 10240 m /7680 (1.3333 m) in this case, 496 texels give around 661.33 m. With 40 m grid we get 661.33/40 = 16.5, which rounded down gives 16. (If the texture grid is different from the terrain grid, rounding down is not enough - we need to round down to the nearest multiple of the number of terrain grids in the texture grid. With terrain grid 10 and texture grid 40 the satellite segment size needs to be a multiple of 4.

from this page

I think my answer is in there, but I'm gonna have to read it a few times over to really digest it.

Edited by Cyrano
Added information

I've got this same problem but I can't solve it...

My sat_lco.bmp is 10240 x 10240 (same as mask)

Grid size: 1024 x 1024

Cell size: 10

Terrain size 10240

Satellite/Surface size: 10240 x 10240

Resolution: 1

Sat/Surface Tiles size: 1024 x 1024

Desired overlap: 16

Texture layer: 40 x 40

Distant terrain is messy, its ok when you get closer

What am I doing wrong?

Have you tried increasing Texture layer to 80x80? ^

Edited by spt

Have you tried increasing Texture layer to 80x80?

That might work, or try changing Tile Size to 2048x2048...

But don't change both at once - try with one or the other first...

Distant terrain is messy, its ok when you get closer

Does "messy" = "white/non-textured tiles"? Do they go away when you turn 360 degrees on the spot (ie: once the sat layer loads completely)? or are they always white until you physically approach the area?

A screenshot might be nice, if the above parameter tweaks don't work...

* Remember you need to RE-generate" your Layers and RE-export your .wrp before packing after each parameter change....

B

there is a way to convert my layers ( 123 file paa ) to the original satellite mask?

I didn't fix this problem yet. Tried with 40x40 and 80x80, same behaviour.

(uploads in 10 mins)

---------- Post added at 19:40 ---------- Previous post was at 19:22 ----------

That might work, or try changing Tile Size to 2048x2048...

But don't change both at once - try with one or the other first...

Tried both... not solved.

Does "messy" = "white/non-textured tiles"? Do they go away when you turn 360 degrees on the spot (ie: once the sat layer loads completely)? or are they always white until you physically approach the area?

A screenshot might be nice, if the above parameter tweaks don't work...

Look at 2nd video to fully understand.

* Remember you need to RE-generate" your Layers and RE-export your .wrp before packing after each parameter change....

B

Yep!

Edited by Schultzit

I had the same issue and changed it like in this thread, now I have the problem, that bulldozer says "Error Land Grid Reference exceeded range"

Grid size:2048

Cell size:10

Terrain size: 20480

sattellite surface mask source:

size: 20480px

resolution: 1.0

satellite surface mask tiles:

size:1024

desired overlap:16

texture layer size: changed to several things, nothing working actually

I don't know what happened. I ONLY changed the texture layer size 2 times (of course I deleted actual layers and let TB built them anew).

Im having the same problem actually, and im pretty sure it worked as i changed it to this settings:

Grid size: 4096

cell size: 5

terrain size: 20480

sat surface mask source:

size: 20480

resoltion: 1

satellite surface mask tiles

size: 512

layer size: 40

its a pain in the ass having to rebuild a terrain everytime just to get the satmap working, thats what i do right now and i hope this time i remember right how it worked some time before.

I was having the same problem, and the only solution I found was to change the desired overlap(px) to 0 and regenerating layers just after doing that, because if I close the mapframe properties window, TB will change it back to 16.

The problem is that playing I can see a line in the texture,where it should overlap.

Edited by ikerdo

Try increasing the "Satellite/Surface (mask) tiles - size (px)" from 512x512 to 1024x1024 - re-generate the Layers, pack and try that in-game, see if it helps...

B

Thank you, it worked! :bounce3: This time...

But i still not understand the principle how it works. Would you kindly to shortly explain?

And BTW maybe you know how to deal with this problem?

Edited by Dead Kennedy

None of these solutions directly fixed issue with my terrain, no matter what combination I chose, seams kept appearing

What fixed it for me instead was changing overlap from 16px to 8px. After that I changed other settings to: sat 2048, tex 20x20 and seams were gone

edit: nvm, seams are still there, just smaller, needs more testing

height: 4096

cell: 10

sat/normal/layer maps: 20480px

This could be mathematical problem or indeed a bug with terrain builder... as all the settings are more like a lottery than a choice for us.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Raymix
didn't fix

for people having a couple of issues with the choppy in game map image. I came across a fix to my map today. I was getting exactly the same results everyone else was. Then I changed the Resolution (m/px) to 10.000000, packed up the map and went in game and all was gone. Perfect looking sat image.

Here are my map settings:

================

Grid size: 2048x2048

Cell Size: 10.000

Terrain size: 20480.000

===============

Satellite/Surface (mask)source images

Size: 2048x2048

Resolution(m/px) 10.000000

==================

Satellite/Surface (mask)tiles

Size (px): 2048x2048

Desired Overlap : 16

===============

Texture Layer

Size: 40x40

=======================================

Now, something I thought I would try because I had time and was not in a rush was to change the resolution to 5.000000 this then gave me a thin cross right through the very centre of my map in game. I also went back to 1.000000 to make sure this was causing my choppy image. Guess what?? I was right! so I went back to 10.000000 and all is fine in game again. Only issue is I have a sat image that is not as HIGH RES as I'd like but is good enough for me and anyone else to recognize.

Think about it, most of the island is covered in objects anyway and when you go to an area where there are pine trees the ground will have a pine forest texture covered in broken pine branches and pine needles with the odd pine cone kicking about. The Sat map is really useful for recognizing places from the air, but close up it doesn't really matter as it fades away right in front of the player. so for you guys worrying about your choppy maps in game, try messing with the resolution(m/px), that should sort it out easily enough.

Edited by SpookyGnu

I fixed my issue, aparantly you need to keep your cell sizes round values.

1024 / 10

2048 / 5

4096 / 2.5

all these worked fine for me with 512px 40x40m, but anything else would produce overlaps.

This pretty much meant I had to scrap a terrain I worked on for a month, it was 32x32km by default, which resulted in 7.183 cell size and start a new one from scratch. Not complaining tho, had tons of experience and was able to produce better one within a week.

Hope this helps

I had fun with this myself the other day working on a map.

It's a 2x2km map. The heightfield is 1024x1024px with a horizontal resolution of 2 meters. The satmap I'm using is 5120x5120px which comes down to a resolution of 0.4m per pixel.

First time I generated layers I had it set to 32 meters but for some reason, if I zoomed out on the 2D map in-game, at a certain point part of the texture would just disappear leaving me with a weird band. I went back and changed the size to 64 meters and presto, that cured it. The only problem is I don't know why :)

So if I got it, horizontal scale should be 2.5, 5, 7.5,10 ?

If so, I'm not late yet to switch from 4 to 5m...