Sign in to follow this  
ddcp

Grenade Launcher Animation

Hey there,

Is there ever going to be animation for the grenade launcher tubes opening/closing? I know there could be mods, etc., but was just thinking it seemed like a pretty simple and easy polish to add... wondering why it isn't implemented yet.

Thanks!

DDCP

this require new anim sources specially for the muzzle - like isEmpty2 , reload2 ,reloadMagazine2 , hasMagazine2 and maybe revolving2 too

no idea why it isn't implemented yet - maybe low priority

also bolt action anim is also missing for M320

Edited by RobertHammer

this require new anim sources specially for the muzzle - like isEmpty2 , reload2 ,reloadMagazine2 , hasMagazine2 and maybe revolving2 too

no idea why it isn't implemented yet - maybe low priority

also bolt action anim is also missing for M320

Yeah, noticed that with a lot of the bolt actions the hand animations are missing and some still feel like a work in progress. I do hope they finish that... seems like a natural (and important in my opinion, for immersion) polish they'd do.

Hi there,

This may sound silly to bring up again so long after beta & launch, but is there any reason why the grenade launcher tube animation is not implemented / done yet? Big fan, countless hours clocked, etc... no real complaints except the MP hosting issue as of late, but this one little detail really baffles me why it isn't done. Seems like it wouldn't be too hard to do, though I could be wrong! Anybody else agree?

Very best,

DDCP

Of course eveyone agrees. It's a matter if piority. They first need to provide, as rhbsaid additional anim sources, then add those anims for each gl game model

I suspect this is pretty much the same reason why we don't have the Kel-Tec shotgun yet.

I think the reason is most likely because it is currently impossible to have the animation properly show the different kinds of rounds. I vaguely remember hearing about this being worked on, but I can't remember. It's the same reason putting a 30rd mag into the po7 doesn't have a different model/animation as a normal magazine. It's a shame, both grenade launchers and bolt action rifles have some of the coolest (potential) reload animations imo.

This is from Toady, showing that even at current state, with some work loading grenades could look good:

Here:

This is from Toady, showing that even at current state, with some work loading grenades could look good:

Here:

Those anims. So beautiful :omg:

I don't understand your point. A GP-25 grenade launcher is loaded from the muzzle, as shown in the video, and doesn't require any animation of the in-game model. The stock UGLs in Arma 3 like the M320 on the MX are breech-loading and therefore require the tube to be animated. Are you suggesting that the UGLs in game should just have their animations changed to pretend they load from the muzzle?

Here:

Two problems with this. One that is a custom animation for a different type of grenade launcher. Not really all that big of a deal but it doesn't help us out with the M203/ M320 and the other UGL's in the game.

Another huge problem is that BI for whatever reason decided to put the grenade launcher reload animation in the grenade itself rather the weapon. Arma 3 features the ability to have animations defined either by the weapon or the magazine that it is loading. If this game used it's proxy system and had it's magazines visually change on the weapons, then this would be the optimal way of doing things. Base reload animation on the weapon, defined reloads for each special type of magazine. With the 40mm_He, it has the reload so even if you make a new reload, you can't patch out what the 40mm has without making a new 40mm. Toadie did this but could get away with it because "the ak ugl shoots a different 40mm".

I don't understand your point. A GP-25 grenade launcher is loaded from the muzzle, as shown in the video, and doesn't require any animation of the in-game model. The stock UGLs in Arma 3 like the M320 on the MX are breech-loading and therefore require the tube to be animated. Are you suggesting that the UGLs in game should just have their animations changed to pretend they load from the muzzle?

My point was that if they would mo cap new custom animation for each GL, movement would look better and smoother.

What I failed to understand is that UGL on MX rifles is breech loading.I'm actually interested in it's name

since it doesn't look like M320.

Nah they shouldn't pretend to load from muzzle if system doesn't work that way.

I'm suggesting temporarly solution with custom animation for each GL for now.

Who knows perhaps that is waste of time and could be better used animating tube

and adding all those anim proxies.

What I failed to understand is that UGL on MX rifles is breech loading.I'm actually interested in it's name

since it doesn't look like M320.

Meant to say 3GL.

Actually an even more egregious visual bug at the moment is that when you reload a GL, the magazine of the weapon magically ejects and is reinserted. I knew the bolt moved when you reloaded a grenade, but I only just noticed the magazine is animated as well.

Yep all true, hopefully refactoring animations could leave room open to fix this issues as well down the road.

On the topic of 3GL reloading looks like opening rear breech and loading grenades in and then sliding back the tube correct?

I'm curious how would animation of 40mm grenades go.I heard that for 3GL grenades gets destroyed in process, but how

about standard launchers like M320, would grenade once ejected have to dissappear like magazine at some point?

Edited by enex

IMHO it is a bit pty that BIS did not created UGL's as another attachement item for rifles, so you could use it as UGL or as independent weapon (many modern UGL's have such ability), plus of course separate reload anims.