Sign in to follow this  
makhno

New WIP terrain : FSF Dariyah

Hello,

I'm pleased to present a new map I've been working on : FSF Dariyah.

As you can see in the Screenshots and the Video, it's a Desert theme terrain.

The version presented here is very early work.

There are no roads at the time, but maybe it'll stay this way as I'm quite fond of off-road vehicle patrols of the kind the LRDG used to do.

Also, you’ll notice the vegetation is quite dense for the desert, but given the AI’s inability to fight in open terrain, it’s necessary for gameplay purposes.

http://fzgmak.info/images/teasingArabia1.jpg (1488 kB)

http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2014/17/1398072856-sans-titre.png (1066 kB)

http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2014/16/1397940884-16.jpg (1289 kB)

Well done my friend, i'm looking forward as always :) Good job!

:omg: It's... beautiful... :omg:

Is there a part of the world that looks that orange? Looks good though. I wish I could create my own maps like that.

The ground texture is an actual photo/satelite image of the area West of Dariyah in Saoudi Arabia.

I've altered the image in Photoshop to strenghten the tones and help the ground texture blend with the detailed ground textures.

So no it's not that orange in reality, but orange gives a warmer feeling, which is good for the desert.

Very nice. No Arma 2 dependencies?

Yeah looking great,only hope it would be standalone from A3mp but i dont think it will be the case, anyway great job!

This looks like a great project. Unfortunately, in order to keep our mod pack size down our group doesn't use the A3MP.

Looking forward to watching this progress though!

Looks very nice. will it be 20km x 20km = 400km2 like n ziwasogo?

Yes, same size

And Yes, will need A3MP ( that's the only way to have buildings other than Arma3's mediterranean houses, which wouldn't look well in the desert)

Great looking project, good luck with progress.

I would like to state its Saudi Arabia, I lived there for 18 years of my life. Have you ever lived there before ? Also are you gonna add sand dunes and Jebels to the scene, would be amazing to see large skyscraper side sand dunes, would remind me of my home. Also hopefully you will add random dust storms and such. Like your progress Hope to see the release of this.

Also for animals possibly have wild dogs and such instead of rabbits or something

great progress !!!

why not port the buildings over, its allowed

This has been my thought, but I'm not sure the level of effort it requires.

This has been my thought, but I'm not sure the level of effort it requires.
Instead of completely relying on A3MP, I would create an optional set of pbo's that would include all of the assets. This way if you have A3MP then this map will be compatible, and if you don't use A3MP you can still use the map.

I wish the community had terrain resource packs that you could install that would have these resources. I like A3MP, but it's kind of silly to download that entire pack, upload it to your server, have 6Gb's of data sitting there when you want to run one map that's not even in that pack.

Alduric has looked at that and the assets alone went into GBs....

I'm struggling to understand people's reticence over using A3MP.... PWS makes the download painless and it's not like there are updates every week...

You're effectivley locking your clan into, what 4 maps ? Altis, Stratis, Koplic, one other ? Seems a real shame for what is only a nights worth of download time....

SJ

I wish the community had terrain resource packs that you could install that would have these resources. I like A3MP, but it's kind of silly to download that entire pack, upload it to your server, have 6Gb's of data sitting there when you want to run one map that's not even in that pack.

I never actually liked the dependencies on those resource packs (like @razmisc or @mbg_rocks or stuff like that). With A3MP at least you've got one mod and not a couple of mods. I'm all for compactness (in the sense of amount, not size). Plus A3MP is that common that it's almost naturally to expect that people have it installed anyways.

I'm thinking from a server performance perspective. My knowledge on this is lacking, but I would think that initializing A3MP as a mod, having all of the extra maps and assets initialized but unused would be somewhat detrimental overall. It's not so much worrying about downloading data, not really caring too much about that. Having a ton of data on a server isn't as much of a concern either. My concern lies in the files initialized by the server to host a game. I always strive to keep my modpack as light as possible so as to not negatively impact server performance. I might not know if that's the case exactly, but it does make sense to me.

Someone with more knowledge on the subject is free to correct me, as I said, I'm kind of lacking when it comes to knowledge in this area.

I never actually liked the dependencies on those resource packs (like @razmisc or @mbg_rocks or stuff like that). With A3MP at least you've got one mod and not a couple of mods. I'm all for compactness (in the sense of amount, not size). Plus A3MP is that common that it's almost naturally to expect that people have it installed anyways.

Pretty much what I'd be hoping for is an A3MP without the maps, and have the maps be individually packaged and offered as options.