Sign in to follow this  
darkxess

How to add "red light" inside of chopper?

Hey guys, was wondering how to add a red light in the back of the chopper for night missions, it would of course be a little less bright (dim)

and is used in real life as red is a colour not able to see well from distance. So I was wondering, how to add this to a chopper maybe with an option

to turn it on and off too?

Thank you.

Hi DarkXess.

Adding a light source to a chopper is no big deal, the problem is that the light flickers terribly once the heli leaves the ground. If you have a chopper named "heli" then you can add a red light with something like this:

_chopperlight = "#lightpoint" createVehicle (position heli);   
_chopperlight lightattachobject [heli,[0,1,0.5]];
_chopperlight setLightColor [250,0,0];
_chopperlight setLightAttenuation [0.3,0,0,500]; 
_chopperlight setLightIntensity 5;

These settings work for a littlebird, you might have to modify the lightattachobject settings to get the light exactly where you want. But, it will still flicker once you take off. Maybe someone else knows a workaround or a solution for this.

But, it will still flicker once you take off. Maybe someone else knows a workaround or a solution for this.

How about attaching a chemlight? Sure, you can't set the properties of the light (intensity, colour), but AFAIK it doesn't flicker.

Thanks guys, I remember this being done back in ArmA 2 a couple of years ago and something that was just like attaching a light source to the inside of the chopper.

Of course I am going to want it good and without the "flickers" or any other downsides. So the best possible way?

@TPW can you prepare a simple example mission please? my scripting abilities are very bad :(

How about attaching a chemlight? Sure, you can't set the properties of the light (intensity, colour), but AFAIK it doesn't flicker.

And how would one do this? :S

Edited by DarkXess

Simply create the chemlight, then use the attachTo command, takes some time to posistion it correctly but it works for me :)

Simply create the chemlight, then use the attachTo command, takes some time to posistion it correctly but it works for me :)

Well, do you mind sharing what you have done then please? I did say my scripting is limited, thank you :)

Adding a light source to a chopper...the light flickers.

Attaching a chemlight...shines too much outside.

Sorry i have not many options :confused:

Alright so I went ahead and created you a script for this IR_Strobe_Example.Stratis.rar

Thanks for the help mate, its almost it - its just too low though, I can hardly see it, really I want it to light "only" the inside of the chopper up and none at all outside.

The one you did is very low in light and also showing a bit outside at the top of the chopper. Here is a video of what I mean im wanting:

LOL sorry about the video, its the best I could fine. I was trying to find a picture then remembered the classic Predator movie which has it inside the chopper before the team is deployed in the Jungle.

alright I've updated the original one, I've changed the script so you can either use a chemlight or the lightpoint, some vehicles have predefined positions and stuff, I also added a debug which can be defined up top.

IR_Strobe_Example.Stratis.rar

alright I've updated the original one, I've changed the script so you can either use a chemlight or the lightpoint, some vehicles have predefined positions and stuff, I also added a debug which can be defined up top.

IR_Strobe_Example.Stratis.rar

Thats perfect mate, now its much better. Still see the red a little outside and very much while its on the ground but suppose that really doesnt matter.

Thank you for your help, please do release it as it is your work and only my idea. If you make a release thread then let me know and I will inform Foxhound

to release it over at Armaholic. Thank you mate :)

Hi guys I downloaded the updated file but I couldn't the red interior. I loaded the mission but what then. Also that magic medic looks interesting.

Hi guys I downloaded the updated file but I couldn't the red interior. I loaded the mission but what then. Also that magic medic looks interesting.

You must get inside the chopper and be either the pilot or co-pilot and you will have the action to do "Red Light On"

Ok thanks mate. Is it possible to have the red light come on when the chopper detects units in the cargo?

Cheers

Ok thanks mate. Is it possible to have the red light come on when the chopper detects units in the cargo?

Cheers

I'd have to modify the script for that, the question is, is this using the chemlight or light point?

Hi lala 14, im not sure what item would be easier to use in the script as I've not had time to check it out yet. I was just thinking it would be cool if the red light came on even with ai pilots. And I think an important thing would be trying to make sure that from the ground the infantry don't see a glowing red blob flying around. Players should only see the red light if they are in the cargo if possible.

I'm looking forward to using it in my missions though mate