Sign in to follow this  
WolfeUK

too many things dont work for me like how there supposed too ?

can someone please tell me why so many things dont work how there supposed too for me ?

this game is supposed to be set in the future, where i guess its supposed to be more advanced than it is today ? yet when i lock an enemy with a AG missile from a jet it misses, goes straight past as if there vanished and lands 30m past them, i cant seem to get the artillery working either with the laser, ive got my team to fire 5 155mm HE rounds yet they all land as if i asked for it a couple 100m away, does anything work in this game like its supposed to ?

the one thing that drew me to this game was military vehicles, just a shame they dont work how there supposed too

ive played flight sim games for 20 years plus, i know this isnt a sim, but even the flight dynamics are horrendously way off, in a jet if you bank left or right in a jet its supposed to 'fall off' the wing and turn in the direction, yet i can nearly wing walk and it still goes straight and doesnt even loose altitude, in the helicopters the rudder becomes usless at about 40mph and above, you should be able to flare them at 100mph plus without them climbing a couple hundred meters whilst doing so, you literally have to begin your approach over a couple kilometers back to do a low level approach and landing !!

only thing i can think off is they give you a box and its up to you to fancy it up to your liking using mods ?

I've never had an AGM miss, so not sure what's going on there.

Not interested in arty, so...

As for losing anti-torque authority at speed, that's normal - a heli's "rudder" become ineffective above a certain speed for the same reason an airplane's rudder is ineffective below a certain speed. Debatable where the Blackfoot and Kajman are concerned, of course.

The heli FM has always been pretty bad - sometimes it seems impossible to get it to stop flying. I usually go down collective about 1Km out, depending on my approach altitude, and adjust as needed. Silliness.

yea, the down collective doesn't seem drastic enough, as you haven't got control over the collective and engine torque separately it does make it hard to scrub speed or height

as for rudders becoming ineffective at speed, i will disagree alittle with you there, you use the rudder when banking at speed to determine your altitude or to keep your altitude, which is where my concern is, specially the little bird, that should still be agile even at speed

but guess that is just something i will get used to lol

as for the AGM's they where fired from a modded plane, the F/A 18 E so not sure whether its a problem with the plane mod or not ?

the agm`'s for planes are not the same as that of copters ;) they are moddet for the speed of planes ;)

as for rudders becoming ineffective at speed, i will disagree alittle with you there, you use the rudder when banking at speed to determine your altitude or to keep your altitude

Altitude? Anti-torque (not rudder, helicopters don't have rudders) has nothing to do with your altitude. As for anti-torque authority at speed, it isn't a matter of opinion, it's a matter of physics. At a certain speed, weathervaning overcomes anti-torque. You still maintain enough authority to coordinate your turns, but that's about it.

Altitude? Anti-torque (not rudder, helicopters don't have rudders) has nothing to do with your altitude. As for anti-torque authority at speed, it isn't a matter of opinion, it's a matter of physics. At a certain speed, weathervaning overcomes anti-torque. You still maintain enough authority to coordinate your turns, but that's about it.

ok so my terminology was wrong but they do the same thing

when your banked at 90 degrees in a hard turn the anti-torque peddles can be used to change your altitude, just like in a plane, or at-least thats what ive always believed to happen

ok so my terminology was wrong but they do the same thing

when your banked at 90 degrees in a hard turn the anti-torque peddles can be used to change your altitude, just like in a plane, or at-least thats what ive always believed to happen

Nope!

Nah, the FM it's so realistic...

(I've seen a video of someone begin able to land in this way)

Nope!

i was being patronizing, it is whats supposed to happen, played enough full on sim games to know lol

@Babylonjoke, thats just about sums up the flight dynamics of arma3, thanks for sharing

I know there are things that don’t work the way they should, its part of the series makeup, always been the same. They cram so much in, its bound to be the case, air, armour, naval, infantry, arty, etc, etc.

Sometimes we have to be forgiving and allow them poetic licence in coding/scripting terms, they can’t realistically get every detail exactly as it should be, not only that but it has to be accessible to all, not everyone wants to fly a real plane, heli, or handle a tank or indeed fire a real gun.

But its fun to do all these things in a game. Don’t get me wrong, I love realism, but it exists as much in the mind as it does in the game. ;)

I know there are things that don’t work the way they should, its part of the series makeup, always been the same. They cram so much in, its bound to be the case, air, armour, naval, infantry, arty, etc, etc.

Sometimes we have to be forgiving and allow them poetic licence in coding/scripting terms, they can’t realistically get every detail exactly as it should be, not only that but it has to be accessible to all, not everyone wants to fly a real plane, heli, or handle a tank or indeed fire a real gun.

But its fun to do all these things in a game. Don’t get me wrong, I love realism, but it exists as much in the mind as it does in the game. ;)

i do totally agree with you, yes i think alot of ppl me included perhaps want/expect too much from games nowadays, as i said before the flight dynamics i can live with, thats just my personal choice on wanting them better, but to lock a tank with a laser and watch it miss by a couple hundred meters or the same with artillery isnt exceptable, specially when you only have 2 chances with the laser guided, that does take away the realism to a different level, but again, its not going to get fixed just cause it doesnt work for me so i guess another thing i will have to live with or just not bother using

but to lock a tank with a laser and watch it miss by a couple hundred meters or the same with artillery isnt exceptable, specially when you only have 2 chances with the laser guided, that does take away the realism to a different level, but again, its not going to get fixed just cause it doesnt work for me so i guess another thing i will have to live with or just not bother using

I agree, its hard to get even an imaginative mind to work around that one.

But your right, its exactly what I do, if its not great and it upsets your game, don’t use it, there’s plenty of other things in the game that work fine, so move over to those, just what I and most of the players I know do. There will be a mod somewhere or made sometime to correct it, happens most of the time. We’re lucky that way in this game.

:)

Nah, the FM it's so realistic...

(I've seen a video of someone begin able to land in this way)

IIRC, this has been corrected since that video.

i was being patronizing, it is whats supposed to happen, played enough full on sim games to know lol

I was being serious, that's not how airplanes or helicopters work. If you are in a 90 degree bank in an aircraft not designed for knife-edge flight, you are going to start nosing in. Trying to slip the aircraft into maintaining altitude is only going to end in a stall.

I agree with Your sentiments WolfeUK,

Too me it feels so many things really need another layer of detail, my current pet moan are the non existent civilians, I hope any future iterations of the game returns back to the sim aspects, I'm not talking VBS2 level of sim just more on the lines of what modders are already doing, if it were not for 3 or 4 key mods I would not still be playing this game (as much :P)

I'd love Rockstar too make the next Arma if there will ever be one.

IIRC, this has been corrected since that video.

There has been an update I'm not aware of? the video it's from 11.04.2014. Version 1.16.

Edited by Babylonjoke

The Arma series have always tried to be 3-ring circuses (Infantry/ Armour/ Aircraft rolled into one) so it's not surprising Boh's programming skills have been stretched to the limit and it sometimes seems they've bitten off more than they can chew.

I get the impression that the series is primarily an infantry simulator with armour and Air tacked on as eye candy.

If we want a proper flight sim, there are plenty out there that we can buy..:)

The Arma series have always tried to be 3-ring circuses (Infantry/ Armour/ Aircraft rolled into one) so it's not surprising Boh's programming skills have been stretched to the limit and it sometimes seems they've bitten off more than they can chew.

I get the impression that the series is primarily an infantry simulator with armour and Air tacked on as eye candy.

If we want a proper flight sim, there are plenty out there that we can buy..:)

fare comment

my main gripe is, for the past 10-15 years some of my m8s kept saying to me to get off console games and play proper games on the pc, console games are for kids, console games are second to pc games, console games are crap etc, but so far i have to say i couldn't agree at all with them, ive played war flight games on the console from 8 years ago that have better flight dynamics that what ive experienced on here, when i play cod or battlefield everything implemented in the game works like how it should, im not used to buying a game where stuff doesnt work and you have to rely on the community to make mods to fix it,

dont get me wrong theres a ton of stuff i love about Arma3, the freedom it gives you to play exactly how you choose to and not play like how the developers want you too, yea the immersion factor is there, but i have added alot of mods to help with that, but if i want to strike a tank with a laser guided bomb or fly a helicopter at 20ft or try to lock an enemy from a kilometer away i should be able too, specially if its in the game, after all you wouldnt go and buy a car that advertises it can carry 5 ppl only to find it can carry's 2 ?

guess im one of them ppl that when i spend my money on a product i expect it to work, whether its a game, TV, or Hifi

guess im one of them ppl that when i spend my money on a product i expect it to work, whether its a game, TV, or Hifi

The game works...its playable. Just the simulation/features are not at the detail level you would like to have. That's an important distinction to make.

i only know that as far as flying is concerned, i prefer the A2 model is over the current A3 situation...

The game works...its playable. Just the simulation/features are not at the detail level you would like to have. That's an important distinction to make.

i only know that as far as flying is concerned, i prefer the A2 model is over the current A3 situation...

but the game doesnt work as intended, just because its playable doesnt make it acceptable, alot of things are broke and require an update to fix, i was just in a tank with 2 AI not 5 minutes ago, i got out to scan with a UAV and a enemy tank drove past at about 250m's away, even though i had my team on combat mode and 1 was gunner the other commander neither tank made any attempt to fire at each other, thats just one instance, considering there on version 3 im surprised fundamental problems like this even exist

anyway think ive made my points fairly clear that there are problems with in some aspects of this game and as a consumer i have a right to express my concerns on these :D