Sign in to follow this  
jcae2798

MODs and Public servers

Is there a way to run mods on public servers? Why is this so hard to come by? I'm not asking for customized guns mods and such, but like client side mods like sound and visual mods like Blastcore for example.

Thanks all

Yes there is. Do you have a server you want to have a mod on, or are you asking in terms of something in general for the public to do?

No I am referring to joining other public servers who host MP missions for the public. I know there are a few groups out there that host. They seem to run vanilla where when we have any mods enabled, you cannot join. I can't see why there isn't a way around this or if i am dong something wrong. Maybe i just don't understand the whole keys and signing of mods which i thought would take care of this issue.

Appreciate the reply by the way

You should be able to join any server with client side mods, such as JSRS, and Blastcore.

For example, I have my own gameserver I rent, the missions on the server use a couple of mods because those missions require those mods to play, however I have a

gameplay mod I built that i join the server with which does have blastcore in it and even though the server does not have the mod running on it

I am still able to see the features of the mod.

Keep in mind when trying to join a server, gameplay mods as like the above, Jsrs, Blastcore, vts weapon resting, ect,. you should be able to join a server np with those.

Addons and mods that you have for example like MEI (middle east irregulars), aggressors, or weapons ppacks, new planes, new tanks, static weapons, basically an addon that adds "content"

to the game you wont be able to use, unless....the server you are joining requires lets say MEI as the mission the server is running requires that mod, it requires that mod because the mission has those units in it.

So its about the mission.

Does that answer your questions, or clears anything up?

You should be able to join any server with client side mods, such as JSRS, and Blastcore.

Huh? Any unsecured server, sure.

If they are checking v2 sigs (as all public servers should), you won't be able to join if you have disallowed mods running.

Here's how it works:

The mission file determines what mods are required to join the server at that time. This includes any mod that is referenced in the editor or in a script, or that has been added to the mission header directly.

The .bikeys determine what mods are allowed by the server, provided verifySignatures is being utilized. If the .bikey is in the server's "Keys" folder, a client can use the associated mod.

Edited by Harzach

Huh? Any unsecured server, sure.

If they are checking v2 sigs (as all public servers should), you won't be able to join if you have disallowed mods running.

Here's how it works:

The mission file determines what mods are required to join the server at that time. This includes any mod that is referenced in the editor or in a script, or that has been added to the mission header directly.

The .bikeys determine what mods are allowed by the server, provided verifySignatures is being utilized. If the .bikey is in the server's "Keys" folder, a client can use the associated mod.

This is exactly what i needed to know and was asking. So is there no easy way to find out what servers accept what? It's a PITA that if the server excepts, you're good, but if not then your stuck randomly selecting different servers until you get lucky. This is waste of time and most of the time i find myself just playing vanilla which isn't the end of the world, but miss my mods..

So is there no easy way to find out what servers accept what?

Not really. You can, with PlayWithSix's server browser, see what keys reside on a server, but key names don't necessarily reflect the names of their associated mods, so you have to be familiar with them. Also, PWS will show you which servers are not checking v2 sigs - you should be able to join these servers with all of your client-side mods.

There has to be a better way, but I don't know what it is.