Sign in to follow this  
CaptainAzimuth

A Complete Arma 3 - Not That Far Away

This is less of a question, and more of a speculation as to when Arma will actually be "complete", and to what extent. Well in my opinion, the time is soon. Zeus has been released as the first DLC, and the campaign was also finished not too long before Zeus. Ok, so what now? Well lets look at what currently exists, and compare it to what Arma 3 needs, according to the setting, terrain, and infrastructure of Altis. Altis is a war torn country, however in the multiplayer universe of course, it could be anything from flourishing, down to devastated. Vehicle wise, we have a variety of military vehicles, such as

-MRAP's

-Utility trucks

-Light Armor

-Heavy Armor

-Gunships

-Fast Movers

Those are all for the purpose of war. Now lets look at Civilians. They have an

-All Terrain Vehicle (small and very fragile)

-Standard 4 wheel

-Hatchback (one with a souped engine too)

-SUV

-Small Utility Trucks (a few versions)

-Civi's get a few Boats

So, that's decent. But it just doesn't feel complete yet. So whats missing? Well lets look at a few things Civilians in real life have as compared to the current Content. Regular Cars, such as your basic Sedan. A transit bus. Single-Twin prop light Aircraft. Rugged Terrain Vehicles (bigger than ATV's, however, MUCH more durable in terrain such as Altis's Rocky land, and faster), Light/Medium/Heavy Rotary Aircraft (rarely Heavy), a few Luxury vehicles, and Law Enforcement vehicles, such as Military Offroads, and what not. As you can tell there are probably a few more things that could be added to the Civilian list, and why not even the military list as well. But all in all, as of now Arma 3 feels, not empty, but not complete either. There feels to be a gap.

So what do you guys think? How much more things does Arma 3 need to feel complete? How long do you think it will be before Arma 3 will be complete? What do you think it will take for this game to be one of, and if not, the best (or beast) of the Arma Series?

How much more things does Arma 3 need to feel complete?

1 thing; better performance

How long do you think it will be before Arma 3 will be complete?

Forever

What do you think it will take for this game to be one of, and if not, the best (or beast) of the Arma Series?

And again, better performance

I don't think more vehicles is what we need right now...

How 'bout some damn bugfixes...

I don't think more vehicles is what we need right now...

How 'bout some damn bugfixes...

Right. I always feel a bit annoyed when BIS hypes another new cool tank or whatever while AI and engine progress in general seems to stall.

(I know, it is different people working on content and on the engine, but still the impression gained from the change logs is a bit...)

Right. I always feel a bit annoyed when BIS hypes another new cool tank or whatever while AI and engine progress in general seems to stall.

(I know, it is different people working on content and on the engine, but still the impression gained from the change logs is a bit...)

What you make it sound like is that it's apparently easier -- or rather, quicker -- for the dev team as it stands to create content than to fix bugs, and therefore content would be more immediately visible/marketable than the absence of something else (bugs), or under-the-hood changes. Heck, just look at how the v1.16 patch was marketed as a free DLC...

Complete can mean vastly different things to different people. What I consider complete might be a totally opposite thing to what someone else does.

I consider Arma 3 to be complete, and to be the definite best in the series, but I have different priorities and considerations than someone who just wants all the content that's in Arma 2, but with the new engine, or someone who only plays exclusively single player.

Would I like better AI, revamped action menu system, improved infantry combat, updated vehicle systems, more Zeus tools, and general bugfixes?

Of course, and as with any game, there's always room for improvement. But I still think of it as a complete game, otherwise I wouldn't be playing it as much as I am, and I'm mindful that it's a relatively small studio working on one hell of an ambitious project/series.

I want more engine side things like

Weapon resting

Fatigue

Wound/medical system

Audio tweaks

Performance optimizations

Complete destruction of the action menu

When audio tweaks, fatigue and some optimization and bug fixes are in then I say it's complete but naturally the development doesn't stop there and I hope to see everything from my list.

Fixed physics, better netcode, better damage/injured system, performance(?)

woundings system with drag peoples

multi treading and better core management better scaling on the cores

the aaf need a potent gunship , aa tank and howizer.

red need a big transport copter and maby a small copter

all need a mhq - with a tent on the back ( for many game modes )

more military objects tends , Spanish rider blocks etc.

natural camo on vehicles and prober modern camo net's

more animations ( for walk without equipment ( civilians ) jump and climbing over little walls

fire at rockets when I'm lying on the floor

more diversity on the weapons stations / uav / boats / launchers / statics

fix the house parked under the ground when exploding problem ( performance )

street names ! ( we are in street xyz now )

Edited by JgBtl292

People don't seem that readily aware that the offroad and other vehicles can be animated too have different looks and attachments - there's even a police version...

I hate these "more content" threads that are completely ignoring fundamental gameplay/engine features that are needed before moving to a next major DLC.

Exactly.

I hate these "more content" threads that are completely ignoring fundamental gameplay/engine features that are needed before moving to a next major DLC.

Exactly.

I disagree.

Content it's just a feature like the Others you have mentioned.

What's the point in having a game with only two gun if there is not anything else out there.

No.

Add-on are needed as much as fixes: and there is a lack of add on in Arma3...

I disagree.

Content it's just a feature like the Others you have mentioned.

What's the point in having a game with only two gun if there is not anything else out there.

No.

Add-on are needed as much as fixes: and there is a lack of add on in Arma3...

Not in my opinion. A game can be boring no matter the amount of content. It is the gameplay factor that is the most important.

Moreover, while new models can be easily moded in, engine and gameplay features are much more difficult to do.

Some warfare factory models would be nice (thinking for BECTI and the like), as well as some sort of HQ vehicle as others have mentioned.

Oh and that C130/C192/whatever you called it thats pictured in the game manual :)

Not in my opinion. A game can be boring no matter the amount of content. It is the gameplay factor that is the most important.

Moreover, while new models can be easily moded in, engine and gameplay features are much more difficult to do.

thats it. I am completly NOT interested in this new content pseudo futuristic crap. Vehicles, armor and air from arma2 is all I need. Better textures, physics, interior, more details. And last but not least: the helicopter flight model from take on heli to have a complete new game for simulation enthusiasts.

@Bouben: i have to agree with you. firetrucks, ambulances, police cars etc are missing. also there are no fire departments, police stations, shops etc... on altis which make altis looks unnatural to me.

but which makes arma 3 uncomplete is the broken AI, bad performance & physx not fully implented.

these things are the most we need right now to have a complete arma 3. more content can be added later.

thats it. I am completly NOT interested in this new content pseudo futuristic crap. Vehicles, armor and air from arma2 is all I need. Better textures, physics, interior, more details. And last but not least: the helicopter flight model from take on heli to have a complete new game for simulation enthusiasts.

Basically what Jumping said. I'd add some more civilian content, and a rework of the actions menus ( the basic ones like change weapons into keys and a function/use key for most of the rest ).

For the content I'm gonna wait for more A2 ports and some real armies mods ( like FFAA ). I only use the civilian's stuff and the terrains from A3 vanilla.

Pretty much echoing what everyone else has said for the most part, better performance and bug fixes and engine feature's.

The game will be "complete" when the staff are reassigned to new projects.

That's the long & short of it.

Saying, "They should do this now and not do that." That's saying, fire the moddelers to hire more programers; then fire the programers to hire moddelers.

Not a plausable business plan. Not for a small studio in a small country.

They have staff; they have work-flow.

When the changelogs stop, the project is complete.

...firetrucks, ambulances, police cars etc are missing. also there are no fire departments, police stations, shops etc... on altis which make altis looks unnatural to me.

Funny, I never missed those stuff in a military simulator. I have not even realized somebody could miss those.

The game will be "complete" when the staff are reassigned to new projects.

That's the long & short of it.

Saying, "They should do this now and not do that." That's saying, fire the moddelers to hire more programers; then fire the programers to hire moddelers.

Not a plausable business plan. Not for a small studio in a small country.

They have staff; they have work-flow.

When the changelogs stop, the project is complete.

... so Arma 3 is complete when it gets treated officially the way A2 does these days? :p (Or rather, OA supposed-to-be-v1.63...)
Funny, I never missed those stuff in a military simulator. I have not even realized somebody could miss those.
For some people it's a factor in their immersion and perhaps they felt that A2/OA did better here.

"immersion" is exactly it. Chrotles knows the gold. Weather it be more content, more fixes, more engine improvements and implementations, when it comes down to it, Arma 3 may not be complete until everyone is able to feel the Immersion such a great product this Tactical FPS Sandbox has to offer.

"immersion" is exactly it. Chrotles knows the gold. Weather it be more content, more fixes, more engine improvements and implementations, when it comes down to it, Arma 3 may not be complete until everyone is able to feel the Immersion such a great product this Tactical FPS Sandbox has to offer.
Sense of immersion is subjective, so for some people their sense thereof is influenced primarily by some factors, for others it depends on other stuff. I have previously seen some people who didn't mention the 2035 setting or the BLUFOR/OPFOR content* as negatives (at least, not in the same post!) but did (instead or also) feel that Arma 2 had more content overall and in particular more non-military content, which I suppose they viewed as (more) important for "COIN" scenarios.

* I'm now left thinking about the idea of "INDFOR as PlayerFOR", and how receptive others here might be to missions based on that premise.

It's nice to see a wise post every now and then :)

I just want to add that a game that doesn't work is not just boring: it's annoying. Besides, engine and gameplay features are moddable to a point. You can't change the code

... so Arma 3 is complete when it gets treated officially the way A2 does these days? :p (Or rather, OA supposed-to-be-v1.63...)....

Yes. As it must be --does Ford still make parts for the Model T?

When you buy a game title, do you expect development years after the release date?

Did you hear what happened to the "Cliffs of Dover" dev team? --They were all fired the day after the release date.