Sign in to follow this  
GShock

AImbotting...

Has anyone tried the showcase missions recently?

Even though the damage model has improved considerably of late, the AI is still hitting you from 200m with unzoomed sights like it was an easy shot and I am talking not of the elite level as usual but at all levels.

Let's take the combined arms mission. Your AI partners are less than useless... the grenadier doesn't shoot a single grenade. The helo shoots the IFV and then leaves the area like you were not playing 2 squads vs 50 men and you didn't need support. To the top of it, since your own APC is stupid, it gets wasted easy by their AT soldiers. Now you could play Rambo and save the day anticipating their AT but with this flawlessly shooting AI that's a suicidal mission... at all levels.

At veteran you only have 1 save... this is really more than hard because you can't spot the enemy through bushes while they not only spot you they also shoot you unerringly from any distance. Finally... what's with the green lights and smoke, you have no frag grenades? Only the teamleader has a zoomed optics and that's the only thing that puts you on par with the enemy AI but as I said, they all die very stupid.

I think the DEVs should go back and check what's happening with the DEV version to the showcase missions. They are the first thing a new player will check.

Infantry: 1 squad vs 50 uber AI: all dead.

Combined Arms: Helo useless, APC useless (both sides), 2 squads vs 50: all dead.

Armed Assault: I don't even wanna start with the AI aimbotting you without zoomed sights from 300m as you lie prone on a hill crest with a zoomed sight. It would be another flamewar with an army of people who are in a state of denial of truth and it leads nowhere (in fact the problem is still there).

Showcase Infantry isn't that bad.

I trust you don't have any issues with the first valley. Save right before your buddies go up on the hill (usually only 1 AI survives) and instead of going up there with them stay on the low ground and try to clear the entrance to the village then sneak in on the right side.

I believe I can beat it consistently. After tons of trial and error to discover this approach.

I haven’t played the showcases in a while but haven’t had any big issues with the AI in general lately, in terms of difficulty. Skill 1, accuracy 0 and you can easily outgun them unless you can’t spot them in time I suppose.

Put AI difficulty to novice, I find it very balanced.

if i was to say your perhaps trying to play arma3 like a console game ?

i know where your coming from as i was like this at first, but in RL the enemy do shoot at you and chances are at some point you will get hit, even with a unscoped gun at 300 meters, ive watched alot of videos since getting this game....sorry, army sim and have learnt alot, like you i questioned why i had smoke and not 3 grenades but after watching videos im glad i got smoke,

the heli isnt gonna sit around covering you if theres a chance the enemy has any AA and if they destroyed your APC with a AT chances are they have,

i nearly gave up on this game/sim but thats only cause i looked at it all wrong after spending decades playing console games, but slowly changing my play style and getting better at this

i do agree with you though that your AI suck and are more of a hindrance than a help, just use them as supressive fire, spread them, try to flank with them using the smoke provided, just dont try to be rambo, it doesnt work lol

like already mentioned above try putting AI to novice and work your way up till you feel the game is balanced for you

... just use them as supressive fire...

Well, unfortunately this has no effect on enemy AI in vanilla.

and neither does smoke... and the smoke grenades act nothing like real screening white phos grenades anyway.

IMO

If the AI was more realistic, then people might treat with realism in return.

and neither does smoke... and the smoke grenades act nothing like real screening white phos grenades anyway.

smoke has saved my ass numerous times, also i see tons of vids of ppl using smoke to get out of trouble or when a man is down and there treating him ?

Of course you’ll need modded AI to get any type of realistic behaviour at its best. AI use smoke very effectively (smoke in A2 was better though), also suppression, depending on AI mod. Its really surprising what AI can do, I have learnt a lot, even more so in the last nine months or so.

I always used modded AI, right back to the beginning of Arma (didn’t play ofp on pc). Had a really good mix for A2 until middle of last year or so. It always gave far superior AI to that of vanilla, in every way.

But its only of late that I have seen what AI can really do in this game.

My advice, use modded AI, completely different game, better still use a mix, of course you'll have to test lots and better in a group, because of servers etc private is better, no fuse when all use the same.

But still, many servers take regular AI mods and those mods all increase the AI behaviour skills some way ahead of vanilla, to some degree or other.

My advice, use modded AI, completely different game, better still use a mix, of course you'll have to test lots and better in a group, because of servers etc private is better, no fuse when all use the same.

But still, many servers take regular AI mods and those mods all increase the AI behaviour skills some way ahead of vanilla, to some degree or other.

That's what I'm doing.

Still, we should not stop discussing / complaining about AI behaviour in the vanilla game. E.g. I would greatly prefer to see AI suppression built into the engine in an efficient way instead of having to rely on scripted mods.

But its only of late that I have seen what AI can really do in this game.

My advice, use modded AI, completely different game

I always wondered why nearly all COOP or Multiplayer missions are using the vanilla "sitting duck" AI.

Multiple requests on server communities to switch from vanilla AI to user-scripted AI were repelled because "AI is dumb no matter if vanilla or not".

Having played with most AI mods it's nearly unbearable to go back to vanilla AI for obvious reasons, hopefully BI will improve the vanilla AI over time.

They were supposed to, but nothing changed...

And the health system makes it even worse

if i was to say your perhaps trying to play arma3 like a console game ? ...i nearly gave up on this game/sim but thats only cause i looked at it all wrong after spending decades playing console games

sorry but that's nonsense. yea sure tactics (smoke etc) help to survive in general but that doesn't mean that things aren't off. i can survive in arma 3 too that doesn't automatically erase the grave problems the game has.

the problem with arma 3 is that other than in arma 2 shooting is a pain in the ass due to way overdone sway combined with fatigue making it worse. now you might think: "hey i played these other stupid console games and now i had to adapt to this amazing game arma which is just more realistic and simply better than any game that is different just because of that...i mean shooting a gun is a pain in the ass in real life too, that's why militaries all over the world use guns....".

and there lies the crucial point. while in arma 2 AI were "aimbotting" too, weapon handling was not, while maybe simplified in comparision (debatable), as painful. so it actually felt like you could, if you were good at it, shoot as accurately and effective as AI. this is now not the case anymore. you are now at the mercy of very poorly balanced mechanics that are meant to bring more realism but instead create this gap between player (of any skill) and AI. i'm talking strictly about shooting here ofc. AI are not exactly bright and driving drunk seems to be what the driving AI is trying to depict.

so yea. this is just another case of unfinished design or lack of it. it's a bad concept (or none at all) to have such an inbalance unless the setting is actually humans vs machines. i know it can be "fixed" via scripting but it baffles me that this is still the default setting. it's like no one actually plays this game at BI and people simply go inside the editor for a minute and think: "oh yea cool. this is challenging, people will think this fits arma's "realism". since that is what makes arma realistic. being hard to play due to its shortcomings".

you know what would help besides better default AI settings and options? like something that counters the poorly configged sway and recoil. like being able to use those folded useless bipods....or maybe stop AI from aiming only for that small uncovered part of your face so it doesn't feel as ridiculous when you put 5 rounds into a guy and he still runs around like nothing happened and then spins and no scopes you in the face. another inbalance. using this shitty ass excuse of an armor system and then making AI that hits you right at the one, small, unarmored part of your body after x shots.

That's what I'm doing.

Still, we should not stop discussing / complaining about AI behaviour in the vanilla game. E.g. I would greatly prefer to see AI suppression built into the engine in an efficient way instead of having to rely on scripted mods.

I agree, we should not stop talking about Vanilla AI, although I did a while ago, its never going to catch up with the very best modded AI. It never was going to catch up, only if they stop and think to employ the services of these talented people, would they see a vast change. But they're more concerned with MP now, 'run and gun' type game-play, which is a real shame.

Myself, you and many, many, others have used AI mods or mixes of mods for a quite a few years in this series, it always makes the game way ahead of anything around, no other AI I have found in any game or seen used, can beat it, I feel that strongly, especially the one I use now.

Just a shame many more don't experiment with AI mods in this series, they will not turn back once they find the right one, or right mix.

I always wondered why nearly all COOP or Multiplayer missions are using the vanilla "sitting duck" AI.

Multiple requests on server communities to switch from vanilla AI to user-scripted AI were repelled because "AI is dumb no matter if vanilla or not".

Having played with most AI mods it's nearly unbearable to go back to vanilla AI for obvious reasons, hopefully BI will improve the vanilla AI over time.

One thing a really good AI mod gives the player, is AI that is the complete opposite to dumb, many just can't see that, or don't want performance hit any further. Which is a shame because they are missing out on a completely different standard of game.

As is life..

I can use an EOTech with my 10 inch Sig 552 @ 250 yards reliably. 20/20 eyesight helps. (it happens to be zero'd for 250) So, if you are exposed I could engage and kill you pretty quickly.

The biggest problem is the AI ''knowing'' where you are when you've broken visual sight with the unit engaging you. I think there also needs to be a delay when you strike a target. If they're in ''safe'' mode.