Sign in to follow this  
Polaris

Grey Outline to Textures

I'm having a really annoying issue where any texture (paa) I use in a GUI has a faint grey outline to it and I can't seem to remove it. The original image has been outlined in red.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/alndjk9rynp4e6z/Untitled.png

idc = 2027;
		type = CT_STATIC;
		style = ST_PICTURE + ST_KEEP_ASPECT_RATIO;
		text = "key_ca.paa";
		x = 0 * safezoneW + safezoneX;
		y = 0 * safezoneH + safezoneY;
		w = 1 * safezoneW;
		h = 1 * safezoneH;
		shadow = 0;
		colorPictureBorder[] = {0,0,0,0};
		colorDisabled[] = {};
		colorBackground[] = {0,0,0,0};
		colorBackgroundDisabled[] = {0,0,0,0};
		colorBackgroundActive[] = {0,0,0,0};
		colorFocused[] = {0,0,0,0};
		colorShadow[] = {0,0,0,0};
		colorBorder[] = {0,0,0,0};

Sorry I probably selected the wrong tab by mistake.

Apparently this is due to the engine not drawing textures at 1:1. Does anyone have any suggestions about how to avoid this issue?

It might be a long shot, but I've found that using texture types other than _ca or _co can affect the mipmap/blur of textures. I've been able to convert a texture perfectly 1:1 without any blurring but I've forgotten how :) You could also try upscaling the image, if it is a low-res image then resizing it using a pixel rescale would make it appear similar but should reduce the edge bleed that you are getting

I still haven't managed to fix this issue. Can someone from BIS please comment because I know it's an engine issue.

Hopefully someone will eventually see this and be able to help :p.

I believe I've managed to fix the issue. It seems to be an issue common to a lot of game engines.

It's a reasonably complex explanation. It seems to be an issue with how Photoshop treats transparency and the game engine attempting to interpolate. Basically when you export an image from Photoshop with transparency the transparent areas are "filled" with white, obviously these are hidden by the alpha mask though so you don't actually see them. But the game engine attempts to interpolate the edges of the image to create a more natural transition and in doing so it uses the white as the colour to interpolate to. You therefore see grey/white lines around the image. To fix this you have to make sure that you fill the transparent area manually with a colour that represents the edges of your image so that Photoshop doesn't simply fill it with white. There are also algorithms that automatically "bleed" your image into the surrounding canvas that work pretty nicely. You must have a real alpha mask for this to work though.

On 30.04.2014 at 7:42 PM, Polaris said:

To fix this you have to make sure that you fill the transparent area manually with a colour that represents the edges of your image so that Photoshop doesn't simply fill it with white.

an old topic but looks like I am having the same issue.

What do you mean by filling the edges? Do I need to add extra black pixels around the letters?