Sign in to follow this  
UltimateBawb

Massive, glaring, unnaceptable Z-fighting issues at di

*distance

I'm pretty sure this issue has always been in Arma 3, can't say the same for Arma 2. Why is it that when you scope in on far away objects that they freak the fuck out and look like autistic children fighting for the same Z-buffer? I was unable to record a video myself but here's a quite humorous display of the issue shitting on the Arma 3 LPC display:

Shouldn't this be fixed by now? It pretty much ruins any ranged combat with optics.

Never happened to me since alpha, perhaps only for certain objects (hospital windows). Maybe it's something related to SLI setups.

Oh yeah I noticed that too, plenty of times. I thought it may be just me.

Pretty annoying, but at least it doesn't affect gameplay. My attention has been more on the gameplay influencing issues ..

This is a known issue dating back since OFP. There have been several tries by BIS to fix/improve it back in A2. Would love to see this fixed/improved as well since it is really annoying.

Never happened to me since alpha, perhaps only for certain objects (hospital windows). Maybe it's something related to SLI setups.

The Z-fighting mostly happens when you look into a high magnifying scope and look at objects far away (~1000+ m) and becomes really bad if you have any other object (like a bush or the grass if you are prone) that is close and in your FOV.

Try this. Pick a sniper rifle with scope or the rangefinder. Go prone in some grass and look at buildings and other objects far away max zoomed in and I'm pretty sure you will see it as well. Now, if you stand up and look again you will see things improved (if you don't have any other object close).

/KC

I would imagine it's an issue with precision of floating point numbers in 32 bits?

I'm no game developer so I'm just guessing here. Increasing the Z-buffer precision to 64-bits or higher could probably fix/improve this issue but maybe that would have a negative impact on performance? ArmA is not the only game having this problem so question is if this is a DirectX or even a GPU issue?

/KC

Edited by KeyCat

I believe every game with high view distances and highly detailed objects has this issue.

Increasing z-buffer precision in A3 doesn't sound feasible. But maybe they could add additional LOD models for distant objects which are rendered when scoped. Currently most models have polygons so close to each other that they can't be rendered accurately. Objects in the z-fighting danger zone could be low poly but high texture so they wouldn't look like blurry lumbs we have now for low LOD levels.

I don't think the issue is so much with precision as with the way LODs are used. It seems to me that there frequently are two LODs shown simultaneously, one "protruding" from another - creating opportuninty for the bug to appear.

May be wrong here.

Check the CIT tickets on the issue for comments from Suma about this