Sign in to follow this  
Belbo

Sidestep Stance with TrackIR

I wonder: Has anybody yet found a way to use the x-axis of the TrackIR5 to select one of the sidestep-stances? Why it's not yet been implemented is a riddle to me, as for TrackIR users nothing should be more natural than use the x-axis to make a sidestep to the given side.

Trackmapper only supports pitch and yaw unfortunately, so this isn't an option.

Any ideas how to get that function without having to wait for it to be implemented in Arma 7?

Seems like a waste of the functionality of TackIR, to be honest.

Leaning is an analogue input and can make full use of the TrackIR's range of motion. Binding the side step to TrackIR's lean would just make you snap into a fully extended leaning position once you move past a certain threshold, since it's an on/off situation. It just makes more sense to bind a digital function to a digital input like a key press.

Seems like a waste of the functionality of TackIR, to be honest.

Leaning is an analogue input and can make full use of the TrackIR's range of motion. Binding the side step to TrackIR's lean would just make you snap into a fully extended leaning position once you move past a certain threshold, since it's an on/off situation. It just makes more sense to bind a digital function to a digital input like a key press.

May make no sense to you. Of course the stance change is not analogue, but that's not the problem here. The problem is that shifting to the side is a natural movement with TrackIRs X-axis. Not being able to use it to make the sidestep is not making any sense. The incremental lean is a reproduction of TrackIRs Roll-Axis. Why not have a "similar" (if not analogue) feature for the X-Axis?

But my point is not talking about sense or absurdity of my question, but about the question at hand: Does anyone know a way to achieve that.

i stumbled uppon the same issue and it is beyond me that trackir has great functionality in vehicles but infantry movement clearly lacks finesse. So, did someone come up with a solution for the sidestep/x-axis problem?

I use the x axis to lean left/right and use logitech setpoint to bind my mouse's (logitech g5) tilt wheel to ctrl+a and ctrl+d when arma3.exe is running, that way I can set the side stance on the mousewheel and still lean using opentrack.

A side effect of this is if you do a fast double left/right tilt on the wheel it only registers the ctrl input so acts as a weapon down/up control; not incredibly usefull but allows you to do so if your left hand is busy elsewhere :)

edit: one possible problem with using headtracking to control the sidestep stance is that it's a toggled control and not self centering, I guess BI would need to add the option to have it as a held control in the options.

dude...awsome idea. Tried it with my logitech performance mx mouse, works like a charme. I was not aware that you could map application specific keys with setpoint. Has this functionality been added recently? Although, i remeber that i updated setpoint recently and did not do so for quite some time, maybe it was added in the meantime. Anyway, i played around with setpoint to get it working properly with winamp but was not aware of the application specific key bindings. Probably would have saved ma a lot of trouble. BF3, for instance, does not reliably respond to the forward/backward side buttons. Gonna give a shot with setpoint. Thxs man.

Ha, i recognize your username from an opentrack profile i downloaded to set it up correctly. Arma 3 has become a whole new experience with head tracking (modified Ps3 eye and opentrack). Just a shame that so few games make good use of it. Arma 3 and Star Citizen in my case. With Star Citizen it worked right out of the box (and this game is still in alpha state). Arma 3 refused to recognize any opentrack inputs...finally i read on the biforums that u had to setup a new arma 3 profile...and bam it worked. Amra 3 still got a lot of issues. Anyway, i got it working perfectly now. If arma teaches you one thing, back up every piece of profile/setting...cause the next update or crash can send it all to hell.

The functionality for the g5 mouse has been there since the start, seeing as I have had this mouse for coming up to 6-7 years now I would say it's not a recent addition :D

Arma worked straight off the opentrack inputs for me, I set it to output as trackir though so I guess arma is just seeing it as a trackir5. Either way it works very well and combined with the tiltwheel sidestance makes for a very fluid action. I did originally set the tiltwheel to bind ctrl+w/ctrl+s for adjusting vertical stance but it made more sense to set it onto sidestep.

Once I have fitted the toebrake potentiometers to my thrustmaster rcs pedals (converted them to usb by canabalising an old logitech ffb wheel) I will have additional analogue axis that I can bind to lean, this will help eliminate slight oddities in the head tracking movement whilst leaning.

i always thought the mousewheel was kinda wasted on the scroll menu. I have to take a look into what better use i can make off of it. Maybe first open the menu with a button and then scroll. I mean adjusting vertical stance with the scroll wheel or different zoom stages would be great.

I use a Mad Catz MMO-5. It has a second scroll wheel under my thumb that I use for range adjustment for my sights