Sign in to follow this  
drebin052

Next DLC and Expansion Speculation

Which DLC do you like the most?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Which DLC do you like the most?

• Helicopter DLC
    • Marksmen DLC

Unless you go for the best of both worlds. For example, and note still following the campaign guidelines, an Asian terrain would provide for a good large, but detailed environment. So Lets say we go around 60x60. Or maybe slightly bigger or smaller. But you put in LOTS of rivers, and lots of terrain features. This way, you can put in towns a realistic distance from each other, and you can create roads that are the right size. More room for highways and interesting new terrain possibilities, such as actual bridges that can be somewhat disabled, even bringing in a way to harm logistical support for Infantry in a whole new way in Arma 3. And with the bigger map, that 5 million objects do not have to be in one place, meaning that lag would be little to none because their spread out, but still organized in a way it stays optimized, but stays great looking and functioning on that terrain. It's all about how you implement it, and that is when you can start seeing it to work better. Now I understand, the map doesn't have to be bigger, but I think it would be great to have more land for a story line. And maybe eventually will it with something other than Chicken Wire fences. Hehe. ;)

take on helicopters south east asia terrain is a terrain based on what you like, it is mostly desert and 120x120km and it has exactly 1,160,307 objects. it includes cities, forests, hills/mountains and mostly desert and the objects are spread around the map. lets say we want double terrain size objects. that would be 240x240km and object numbers would be 2,320,614 objects spread on a 240x240km. that would be possible (and would be cool). so when 2,320,614 objects are placed, there is about 2,700,000 free space that can be used, means: about 2,700,000 objects can be placed until it hits the 5,000,000 limit. these 2,700,000 space can be used to make the cities detailed and the forests and make more cities or villages or making the moutains/hills/desert more detailed to make it more interesting when playing on these places.

so wel could have a 240x240km terrain with lots of cities and villages and some forests spread around the terrain and the most parts are desert/hills/moutains.

but having a decent forest or jungle on huge terrain isnt possible, neither are detailed cities in new york style.

you will have to close out New Zealand and most probably Australia as well, as by 2035 most of mineral mines will be in hand of Chinese based company’s (legally) and the economically interests and benefits Australia gains from its growing ties to china will prevent any direct involvement.

Fair point.

Then again, the official description for CSAT mentions that CSAT's boundaries extend from SEA to North Africa, so maybe in this timeline China doesn't need Aussie resources any more and has turned towards the Middle East/Africa for its energy needs instead?

...or maybe I'm just grasping at straws since I really want to see what BI's take on a 2035 version of the ADF looks like. :p

For the rest, by 2035, just 20 year from now, direct military conflicts will be fought out by UAV’s of various kinds exclusively, foot soldiers will come to task for occupying after battle and upholding order in occupied areas.

As said, battles, large or small will be dealt with by UAV’s; asymmetric warfare already is taking over conventional large scale battles (mind the logistic) indicating more covert military operations without a UN backed declaration of war to the target nation.

Unlikely. You're right about ground forces moving in to mop up eventually, but combat will still be fought conventionally as in the present and past.

UCAVs/UGVs can and will supplement humans or replace them completely in some direct action and first response roles (it's not a big deal to lose a robot and they can arrive quicker to the scene), but they won't replace your average grunt or tank on the ground no matter how good the AI may be.

Don't forget that things on the ground can be easily camouflaged too, so UAVs can always be fooled. A UCAV can't drop a JDAM on a target that it can't see, but it can attack a target that's being lased by an FAC on the ground.

It will be highly doubtful the big players USA-China-Russia-EU ever will get in an all-out war ever. Proxy wars as usual happened in the cold era are out of fashion as the lines are not be draw between “friend and foe†so easily anymore by economical interest.

In real life for sure, but this is the Armaverse. It's pretty obvious that a confrontation in the Pacific is unavoidable in this timeline seeing as how the players (China and the U.S.) have brought all their chips on the table. It's no longer a question of whether it will go hot or not, but rather when and where it's going to start.

id like to see more official vehicles, specially planes, as theres only one lol

There's only one? What was the last time you played?

There's only one? What was the last time you played?

about 5 minutes ago ?

as in 1 plane on your team

i agree. in arma 2 we had about 2-3 airplanes in each faction.

Fair point.

Then again, the official description for CSAT mentions that CSAT's boundaries extend from SEA to North Africa, so maybe in this timeline China doesn't need Aussie resources any more and has turned towards the Middle East/Africa for its energy needs instead?

Considering the PRC's eye towards Africa for natural resources, that would be a perfectly plausible extrapolation.
In real life for sure, but this is the Armaverse. It's pretty obvious that a confrontation in the Pacific is unavoidable in this timeline seeing as how the players (China and the U.S.) have brought all their chips on the table. It's no longer a question of whether it will go hot or not, but rather when and where it's going to start.
And it's outright said in the A-164 Wipeout's description that said rising tension in the Pacific is part of why the A-10 got a successor in its vein.

take on helicopters south east asia terrain is a terrain based on what you like, it is mostly desert and 120x120km and it has exactly 1,160,307 objects. it includes cities, forests, hills/mountains and mostly desert and the objects are spread around the map. lets say we want double terrain size objects. that would be 240x240km and object numbers would be 2,320,614 objects spread on a 240x240km. that would be possible (and would be cool). so when 2,320,614 objects are placed, there is about 2,700,000 free space that can be used, means: about 2,700,000 objects can be placed until it hits the 5,000,000 limit. these 2,700,000 space can be used to make the cities detailed and the forests and make more cities or villages or making the moutains/hills/desert more detailed to make it more interesting when playing on these places.

so wel could have a 240x240km terrain with lots of cities and villages and some forests spread around the terrain and the most parts are desert/hills/moutains.

but having a decent forest or jungle on huge terrain isnt possible, neither are detailed cities in new york style.

True. However, now that i decided to scale up from around 17X17 of Altis (roughly), to 81X81, instead of 240X240 (and believe me, you guys would love 81X81, its big enough, as it took me around 5-9 minutes to fly from one edge to the next), its possible to get a town as detailed as Kavala, which is more than enough for a great terrain.

The Kerama Islands located at 26.2,127.3 are just slightly larger than stratis and would make for some really fun island hopping.

This game needs a civilian pack complete with their own behavior and routines, including refugee type behaviour, fleeing the battle in vehicles and on foot.. It's a shame this will never happen and altis will forever have one car and 2 trucks and the same fkn guy driving both of them.. Be great if BI joined up with RockStar! Just for the complete game experience!

Philipines? Thailand?

In before beautiful terrain and 5 fps gameplay. ._.

as someone earlier said a bigger map makes no sense. i dont see it coming either. getting altis so real was an enourmous task. and yet its unplayable with a decent amount of guys in mp.

if they manage to workaround the mp problems, making a 500vs500 possible (network bubble?) then id welcome gigantic, less object crowded maps. even though i dont look forward to the constant use of air assets needed to get to the enemy and control the territory.

Sent from mobile

I don't recall mentioning in my OP that BI should make a full sized version of the Phillippines or any SEA nation for that matter, so why do you guys keep being pedantic about it...

And they have clearly optimised their terrains without making them completely barren in the past (Takistan comes to mind). Or perhaps you guys just want to keep on seeing tiny Utes-sized islands for every Arma game that comes out?

The Kerama Islands located at 26.2,127.3 are just slightly larger than stratis and would make for some really fun island hopping.

Would probably make more sense if all of the smaller islands in it were mashed together (less AI problems when it comes pathing to the other islands, etc).

Either way, I wouldn't mind taking a vacation there. ;)

DLC Suggestion:

Headless client DLC so one must not buy another copy of the game.

^this, or BIS moving the advantages of HC into the main server exe, and maybe a module to do the load balancing for you (although might not be needed if they could improve the server to spread the load over all the cores)

same thing will happen with arma 3 as it did with arma 2.. for example arrowhead was released and a majority of players transferred to that ;)

aka combined operations

ANZUS faction would be awesome...

If this were placed on an archipelago, then that would bring in (hopefully) enhanced naval warfare, rather than just two speedboats. Mayhaps even a stationary air carrier that handles F-35Cs and FA-18E/Fs. However I don't think they would include the super hornet - it would be rather aged by that time.

First though, there is the matter of fixing the A-164. And adding in fighter jets.

same thing will happen with arma 3 as it did with arma 2.. for example arrowhead was released and a majority of players transferred to that ;)

aka combined operations

That depends on how good it is.

Actually, I don't want a new island. Altis is so big, it still has enough room for more material. If BIS would punch out a new big island in one of the next DLC, it would be a sign for Altis being a failure (in size or look), imo. A really small one would be fine, but the main parts should still absolutely take place on Altis.

The release of Takistan didn't mean Chernarus was a failure. Although I too could wait a little longer for a new island, if the devs could use this time for engine features instead. But I'm afraid those environment creators don't really work on improving the engine.

The release of Takistan didn't mean Chernarus was a failure. Although I too could wait a little longer for a new island, if the devs could use this time for engine features instead. But I'm afraid those environment creators don't really work on improving the engine.

The reason they make DLC's is the reason why every other game makes more content. If i were to create a game, yeah, that's sick. Play it for awhile, what happens? Well, though the map is HUGE, ive played here awhile, i know things. It at points never gets old, however, you start to visualize different things. Things that you could have done, and things that you could have or still can add in. At the boundary, is where DLC's are born, or to my knowledge anyway. Ok, so they make a new map. Big deal, would you enjoy Mario if you played the same map over, and over, and over again? Ok, now whilst they do make new maps, there are still more items they create that can still be used on all maps in their library. So just because your playing in the desert, doesn't mean you cant turn into the penguin Mario. Just because you not on the new map, doesn't mean you cant use the new transport aircraft on Altis (just an example, don't flip, its not an Easter egg... or is it? =p). Get the point? :D

But Chernarus isn't as big as Altis. Compared to the islands before, Altis is gigantic. If they have to add more islands now to please the folks, then IMO it was a huge waste of resources to make Altis as big as it is.

A new island was already announced, but the only elaboration was about it being different from prior terrains, suggesting a new terrain (hence the anticipation for snow)...

Can someone make a list here of Terrain's BI made, with name and type of Terrain's it is. Example

Chernarus - Temperate/Pine Backwoods

Takistan - Desert/Urban Village

Altis - Mediterranean Island

And than someone can make a list of all the kinds of Terrain BI hasn't used so that we can see what kinds of terrain would be great for the next DLC, or any future maps?

Edited by DarkSideSixOfficial

Can someone make a list here of Terrain's BI made, with name and type of Terrain's it is. Example

Chernarus - Temperate/Pine Backwood

Takistan - Dessert/Urban Villiage

And than someone can make a list of all the kinds of Terrain BI hasn't used so that we can see what kinds of terrain would be great for the next DLC, or any future maps?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dessert

herpa derp