Sign in to follow this  
JZTemple

Problems taking photos using small rover

I've been play TKOM for several hours now and have some missions under my belt, but I'm having problems dealing with taking photos using the small rover. I'm getting the occasional green box and clicking it to accept, but mostly it's either red boxes or little green cross-hairs with little red boxes around them, or sometimes just grey boxes. I did some searching over on the Steam forum and here as well and there wasn't much more than "drive around and find a sweet spot". Well, I've been driving around endlessly, approaching from different angles and still no luck. Is it a matter of just being in exactly the right spot? If so that's going to drive me crazy. I did swap out the wide angle camera on the back of the rover for a tele camera and restarted the mission, but still I've only been able to get a few of the required photos. Any help would be appreciated! I'm otherwise enjoying TKOM and it would be a shame to be stuck at this point because I can't finish a these missions and get the Major completion cash.

Hi JZ, the 2 things that determine if the photo will be successful are:

1) Amount of points required on screen (with direct line of sight - indicated as green), usually set to around 3

2) Size of the frame encompassing the points needs to take up at least 10% or so of the screen

So to achieve point 1, you need to move/rotate so that the points are on screen. For point 2 simply zoom in or move closer.

Also you want to make sure that it is not a color photo some are color which will say in the lower right corner some are wide view and some are telephoto ones i had the same trouble!

It can be very tricky with the fixed cameras of the small rover. Getting positioned so you have line of sight on enough points is difficult, but not impossible.

I think it might be more helpful if the waypoints for photos indicated a kind of "optimum" position from which to take the photos?

You can do what I did... accidentally bust one of my front tires off on a rock. The back was angled up so it made capturing some of the shots easier. "yay" and "whoops" at the same time.