Sign in to follow this  
thetrooper

Operation Sentinel - Beta v1.0 (British Armed Forces-SAS)

This is still work in progress. Test is and let me know if there's bugs. It's all fun :)

Readme.txt holds instructions for installation.

CONTENTS:

*Intro Video

*CRW mission

*Unique Graphics

*British Lynx Skin for HellCat

*British SAS BlackOp uniform

*British UK MTP Pattern (on a character)

*Altis Police cars with sirens.

*Police light effects

*Intro Video

*Voice Acting

NO MODS REQUIRED

This is part of a mini campaign. This has been uploaded for you to test. If you find any bugs please let me know.

*readme.txt file lists known issues.

Promo Image 1

promo1.jpg

Promo Image 2

promo2.jpg

DOWNLOAD

http://www.mediafire.com/download/85ha6115m4iqzne/Operation_Sentinel_Beta1.0.zip

Edited by TheTrooper

Dude an extremely fun and creative mission, well done I might even get this on our list of Co-Op nights, keep them coming buddy. We could do with more mission makers in our community your more than welcome, again well done :)

Nice mission - I hope you don't mind some constructive criticism!

Firstly, I'm using devbuild, and get the following script errors:

Error in expression <ightAmbient _moreRed;
}; 
sleep 0.2;
};
};>
 Error position: <};>
 Error Missing {
File missions\__cur_sp.altis\scripts\car2siren.sqf, line 95
}; 
sleep 0.2;
};
};>
 Error Missing {
File missions\__cur_sp.altis\scripts\car3siren.sqf, line 95
}; 
sleep 0.2;
};
};>
 Error Missing {
File missions\__cur_sp.altis\scripts\car4siren.sqf, line 95
}; 
sleep 0.2;
};
};>
 Error Missing {
File missions\__cur_sp.altis\scripts\car5siren.sqf, line 95
}; 
sleep 0.2;
};
};>
 Error Missing {
File missions\__cur_sp.altis\scripts\car6siren.sqf, line 95
}; 
sleep 0.2;
};
};>
 Error Missing {
File missions\__cur_sp.altis\scripts\car7siren.sqf, line 95
}; 
sleep 0.2;
};
};>
 Error Missing {
File missions\__cur_sp.altis\scripts\car8siren.sqf, line 95
}; 
sleep 0.2;
};
};>
 Error Missing {
File missions\__cur_sp.altis\scripts\car9siren.sqf, line 95
}; 
sleep 0.2;
};
};>
 Error Missing {
File missions\__cur_sp.altis\scripts\car10siren.sqf, line 95
}; 
sleep 0.2;
};
};>
 Error Missing {
File missions\__cur_sp.altis\scripts\car12siren.sqf, line 95
}; 
sleep 0.2;
};
};>
 Error Missing {
File missions\__cur_sp.altis\scripts\car14siren.sqf, line 95
}; 
sleep 0.2;
};
};>
 Error Missing {
File missions\__cur_sp.altis\scripts\car15siren.sqf, line 95
}; 
sleep 0.2;
};
};>
 Error Missing {
File missions\__cur_sp.altis\scripts\car17siren.sqf, line 95
}; 
sleep 0.2;
};
};>
 Error Missing {
File missions\__cur_sp.altis\scripts\car18siren.sqf, line 95

The error repeats throughout the mission, in sync with your car light bars, it would seem.

Secondly, old mate Lone Wolf also repeats the "Go get 'em Mac!" or words to that effect twice as I pass him.

Thirdly,

the car chase is proving extremely frustrating. The task "Chase down the terrorist and kill him" is a touch misleading. My initial tactic was to pull in front of the truck and attempt to disable it. Since you are using unitplay to move it (and thus bypass the horrible driving AI), this is impossible, as it just ploughs on regardless. Sometimes your chosen vehicle will get stuck under the ground or get towed along with it.

That's OK, I thought, a fair enough bypass. My next attempt was to pull ahead, jump out and unload a magazine into the cabin. However, it would appear you've solved this tactic with the subtlety of a sledgehammer, as the second I get out I'm killed a la invisible AK from CWC. Most irritatingly, this happens even if my offroad has been wrecked during the chase.

Alright, says I, not how I would have handled it, but I can live with this. I'll just follow him until he stops, gets out, then surely the instakill will be turned off and I'll be able to give him the old hearts and minds. Old mate pulls up next to the spillway and stops. I get out of my car, and get instakilled again.

A bit angry now, I finally sort it by waiting at the spillway until he stops, then getting my last surviving teammate to get out and cap him. Phew.

If your intent was to shadow him to his end point and then take him down, or to knock out his vehicle may need to be made more explicit. I wonder if he was meant to explode IVO the dam IOT knock it out? Whatever his purpose, it didn't happen for me.

I did enjoy the mission on the whole, and I hope you keep making more. :don 11:

yes, there are more script errors, and since the scripts loop, they flood the game the whole time. Not nice at all.

The extra }; in line 95 of the siren scripts should be deleted, also maybe the variables that the game criticises as undefined need to be global, I'm not sure.

I also want to state that the extra textures that you use are a fine idea, and some are really good (police cars, uniforms), however the texture for the chopper is "not so great". I think staying with the default texture would be better here, if no proper texture is available. If you want the UK scheme in green/grey, I can offer to paint you a better one.

Also you should tidy up the mission folder, there are a bunch of useless files in there (unused SQF, JPEGs, even temporary MSOffice documents, a Windows thumbs.db file and especially the big TGA file, which alone weights a whopping 64 MB!). If those were deleted, the pbo would shrink quite a bit in size.

I need to get hold of some software or something to pick up errors. Any ideas what to use and where to get it from?

well, the rpt file (found in c:\Users\[yourwindowsusername]\Appdata\Local\Arma3) will give you the error messages, and they even point to the faulty line in the script. Pretty helpful, not like a Windows message that just says "this program needs to be closed, click OK"^^. So if it's just a forgotten bracket or similar typo, then you should get it fixed easily. However if you don't know what the problem is, then the best place to find help is here in the forum.

And I took the time to paint a Lynx/Wildcat texture for you. It's may not have the quality for a full blown addon (some smaller details would need a bit more attention), but still quite ok I'd say and certainly better than your placeholder texture. Hope you like it and deem it fit for your mission and maybe others. I've put in two textures, one with "Army" and one with "Royal Marines" lettering.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/gzz7uk

(just for the sake of it, license is APL-SA; but if anyone really wants to use this for other purposes than this mission, contact me to get the PSD, then we can talk about improving the quality, because as I said, this is quick and dirty)

3uoijphd.jpg

Edited by Brainbug

ah now that's a game changer. Yeah the heli isn't done yet.

Quick question then. I got the following in the .rpt file. I have no idea what it is. Is it normal or is there something going on that I need to sort out?

String STR_A3_dlc_loading_screen_text not found
Attempt to override final function - bis_functions_list
Attempt to override final function - bis_functions_listpreinit
Attempt to override final function - bis_functions_listpostinit
Attempt to override final function - bis_functions_listrecompile
Attempt to override final function - bis_fnc_missiontaskslocal
Attempt to override final function - bis_fnc_missionconversationslocal
Attempt to override final function - bis_fnc_missionflow

I need to get hold of some software or something to pick up errors. Any ideas what to use and where to get it from?

I highly suggest you use Arma3 Sync

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=22199

IN the options menu, you can enable SHOW SCRIPT ERRORS.

Best way to start missions if you've got mods going.

looking good. If you want any extra voice actors, feel free to PM me. I've got vocal chords, some basic drama experience and a good microphone.

there is a bunch of stuff in the rpt file that is not your fault but would need to be sorted out by BIS (and they probably won't as long as it's just causing a line in the rpt but no other issues), and other stuff is caused by addons. But you can start Arma3, tab out and check the rpt file how many lines it has up to that time, then tab back in game, start the mission and then tab back out to see which new lines have been added to the rpt file.

This is a fun little mission. Apparently, since 2014 classnames have changed, so the terrorists are in their underwear, but I absolutely love how you provide a decidedly un-american look and feel with the voice acting and custom-non-addon-skins. The mission itself is mildly challenging and nice to play. I would love to see this updated someday.