Grumpy Old Man

[Release] Combat Course - Automated Practice Targets Script

Combat Course

by Grumpy Old Man

Updated to 1.5 on: March 22 2014

AGicxdi.jpg

http://vimeo.com/89784379

Purpose of this script:

To have a comfortable way of automating practice targets and help with setting up a Combat Course.

With this script you can focus on Object placement and parcour design instead of having to mess with triggers and conditions etc., while still being highly customizable.

Features:

GOM_CC will look for all practice targets within a certain area and control them.

All targets can be randomized to a certain percentage of valid/invalid targets.

Targets can be randomized to pop random colored smoke/chemlights when a player is near.

All of this can be adjusted inside the "GOM_CC.sqf" where you can find and edit customizable parameters on top of the file.

You can run a Course multiple times, after every round you will get a Result Chart where you can see stuff like your accuracy, time/target etc.

All your results get stored inside the Briefing tab in the map menu to review your previous runs.

Optional you can place down a barrier to prevent competitors from entering the Course area before it has started.

You can customize the name and presentation of your combat course or add rules and win conditions in the parameters of "GOM_CC.sqf".

How to use this script:

At first copy the scripts folder from the .rar archive into your mission folder.

Then in the editor place:

1.: A player

2.: A Rangemaster (same side as player)

3.: A named marker that determines the starting point of your course (i.e. "startmarker")

4.: A named marker that determines the ending point of your course (i.e. "endmarker")

5.: (Optional) Place an object (name has to be "GOM_CC_entrydoor") to acz as a Barrier so that competitors won't run inside the course before it has started.

6.: In the init field of the Rangemaster unit put: nul = ["startmarker","endmarker",this] execvm "scripts\GOM\GOM_CC.sqf";

7.: Adjust the Parameters in "GOM_CC.sqf" to fit your Combat Course

Then you're all set to place practice targets/design your own Combat Course and have the script do its magic.

Just be aware that you have to increase the area size in "GOM_CC.sqf" (default is 150m) to fit the size of your Course.

Special Targets:

You can choose which individual targets will be ignored by the randomization:

Example A:

You place 2 targets behind each other to simulate a "hostage held at gunpoint" situation.

To prevent the randomizing function from making both of them valid/invalid targets simply put: this setVariable ["GOM_CC_special", [true,"SHOOT"], false];

into the init field of the hostage-taker target, and put: this setVariable ["GOM_CC_special", [true,"NOSHOOT"], false];

into the init field of the hostage target.

Now they will be ignored by the randomizing function.

Example B:

You place a target behind a desk and want it to pop up if the player is within a certain range, to give him a good surprise.

Since all targets are standing upright once the course starts (can be changed with a parameter in "GOM_CC.sqf") you can make individual targets pop up with:

this setVariable ["GOM_CC_special", [true,"POPDIST:",5], false];

Just place above line in the targets init field and it will pop up.

Special parameters:

"SHOOT" = Targets will always be valid

"NOSHOOT" = Targets will always be invalid

"POPDIST:" = Determines how close the player has to be until the target will pop up

"POPDUR:" = Determines the duration how long the target will stay up until it's going down, when going down it's no longer a valid target and will lead to a missed shot when fired upon.

"SMOKEDIST:" = Determines how close the player has to be until the target will deploy a random colored smoke grenade

"SMOKEDUR:" = Determines how long the smoke grenade will emit smoke until it gets deleted (to prevent too much smoke in enclosed areas)

"CHEMDIST:" = Determines how close the player has to be until the target will deploy a random colored chemlight

"CHEMDUR:" = Determines how long the chemlight will emit light until it gets deleted

Usage of special Parameters:

You need to use at least the DIST parameters, example:

Example:

this setVariable ["GOM_CC_special", [true,"POPDIST:",10,"POPDUR:",4], false];

This example will make the target pop up when the player is within 10 metres, and it will stay up for 4 seconds before going down again.

It's possible to combine all Parameters except "SHOOT" and "NOSHOOT", they can't be combined with each other for obvious reasons.

Update:

Added custom textures for targets

Added altitude check so targets won't trigger if you're on a different floor (for combat courses in multi floor buildings)

Fixed a few minor errors

DOWNLOAD:

Enjoy!

Edited by Grumpy Old Man
  • Like 1

Release frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

Reaally like this script and i can see some fun stuff happening within our gu with it.

I tried it on our dedi server tonight, but i kept spawning in (as range master) only to be stripped naked after my course run. Weird!

i was chosen as the contender when i was hoping the three others would be able to get a go. I did the course. Hit the tArgets, but got a score of nil, and failed. Then the course reset, i lost the ability to use my scroll menu because i was stripped naked.

Also, is there a way to have the course setup in two lanes as part of a timed race event. This is how i built my course for my training map ( then i saw this and thought this is what i need). I also have a sniper range. Any plans to make something for that type of thing aswell.

Glad you guys like it, and thanks for the frontpage Foxhound!

I'm currently working on some stuff, don't want to give away too much but it includes multiple courses available at the same time, reaction shooting tests etc.

Unfortunately MP coding is still a mystery to me, if anyone wants to give me a push in the right direction I'd gladly appreciate it.

The demo mission was made with SP in mind, since there's only one competitor slot.

I'd be happy to test this out with you if you like?? I'm not a whizz at scripting by any means. But I can certainly test to see how it works on various courses for you with our GU if you get the MP stuff done.

Sure, will take some intense reading on my side first, the only thing I know about MP scripting is that most SP stuff won't work because of locality issues, but that's it, heh.

Updated version frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

Wicked GOM! Gunna mess about with this later.

Also, I've designed a series of short courses, but they are near enterable buildings, but they lock due to course size, i assume reducing the default will unlock the doors?

What doors are you talking about?

The script only closes doors so you have to open them again for every round, they shouldn't get locked ever.

Or are you using multiple instances of this script? That's not working in the current version, will get fixed together with MP compatibility. So you can have multiple rangemasters supervising multiple courses at the same time.

I'll explain better! Sorry for the confusion.

I only used it on one course I made at the time. But I went to go into a building that was near the course, bare in mind this was the first time I tried it thinking I could use it in MP, so it might have bugged out somehow in this case. Making it not possible to open the doors. DK atm. But I'm patient enough for the MP release anyway.

Great work Grumpy, loving the script.

One thing however, on your test mission I can never complete it as it always says I have missed 1 target. I think it is the very last one by the sandbags, it is always there but never pops up. Anyone else get this?

Going to try it on my own Killhouse so will see how it goes.

Again, great work though.

Hey script is all good but i cannot get it properly working on the server as it doesnt count properly the taarget that i shot ... for some reason and sometimes those task thingys dialog doesnt pop up firstime and they disapear sometiems randomly after 2 second run can u pelase help implement his ? on server

Edited by songer

@SpookyGnu:

MP version should be done until weekend, gonna test it first of course. The current version is more a proof of concept, SP should work fine though.

@Dai-San:

I had this too, but only on the second or third round, it always popped up in the first round, gonna investigate that. From what I've seen ricochets can hit other nearby targets, especially when using anything bigger than a 9mm, but the target mentioned is popped down and behind sandbags so that can't be the case.

@songer:

MP version is in the works.

Hi Grumpy,

I fixed this by reducing the pop up distance for the last target. It was set to 12 I think so I assume it was popping up while I was taking care of the guy's by the truck and had already popped back down before I got there. I reduced it down and now it pops up every time as I'm going through the maze.

One other quick point, I have noticed that I was getting a complete sometimes with weird stats such as 27 valid targets 26 hits etc, I traced this to shooting a target from behind. ie the first building after the start, if you look in the window you can shoot straight through to the target at the other window fine, but you can also see the guy to the left from behind, if you take a guess and just shoot him this causes the weird end stats. Just something to note.

Still a great script though mate, we're having a blast with some internal competition, can't wait for the dual lane stuff etc.

That's probably caused by ricochets, so you basically hit 2 targets with one bullet.

Just finished making the script to work when running on multiple courses at the same time, still got some stuff to iron out and add more features, smokes and chemlights are being launched instead of just being spawned etc.

Gonna do some more intensive testing, MP doesn't seem to give too many issues atm ;)

MP doesn't seem to give too many issues atm ;)

You don't know how much I really wanna see this thing in my FOB. I've got some funky stuff going on already and this will bring it a level higher. Really appreciate your effort on this script dude!

Hello Grumpy thanks for this great Combat range love it, but how can I add this script to multiple ranges in my map and have them activate separately from each other.

So does this now work on multiplayer ?

It does not work in multiplayer at the moment. Just tested it out on my dedicated server. Its not giving correct score, always says 0% hit. Rangemasters last name is return as "nul". Targets that you set a custom popdistance do not pop up the second round.

is there any hope of this being made to work for MP, or does someone else know how to make it work in MP.

Please Multiplayer!!!! Can someone change the Code?...its a great script...but we need it for Multiplayer!