RyanBurnsRed

Breaking Even - Neutralize Guards

No matter what I do I always fail this task. I assign Number 2 and Number 3 to attack the guards, and when I get the okay to do it I tell only those two to open fire.

They both take more than 1 shot to kill them, and right after they [the enemies] go down I fail the task. What am I doing wrong?

I watch videos of other people doing the same thing but they pass it instead.

Did you fire too? You were not allowed to shoot guards yourself.

Maybe you should equip AIs with better weapons like Mk18

Did you fire too? You were not allowed to shoot guards yourself.

Maybe you should equip AIs with better weapons like Mk18

No I didn't fire too because I only have a holo sight, and from my distance I can't even see the targets with it.

I don't know how to equip my squad before starting the mission.

Select 'Team' and then choose the squad members you want to rearm with [inventory] at the briefing menu.

Any weapon will do but you need to make sure they have at least an RCO, MRCO or ARCO at least. They won't be able to shoot at the guard tower if you equip them with ACOs (or basically any sight that has less than 300m ranging).

6/10 times the AI wouldn't open fire or even acknowledge the targets for me.

In the end I discarded the attempt of making this task, and just bore with the counter fire after you fail it.

What annoys me much more is that you can't use the static MGs after you dis- and reassembled them. It's a static MG, you can't lock that. Still killed the secondary target you get without leaving the base, but only after a lot of frustrated trying to place the static MG on top of the guard tower.

Please, BI. Why do you place these guns and then not allow us to use them? How does this break the mission?

Also, the AI could not get on top of the tower. After an hour of trying and many re-loads, I lugged the gun up there myself only to find I could not get in as gunner. The AI meanwhile was stuck on the rocks surrounding the base, spinning in circles, unable to move. I am not sure how to reproduce this, or if it even is reproducible.

But generally, this mission shows some design flaws, as well as exposes problems with the AI. Once you want them to get into a building, place a gun on a specific location on the floor, in a certain story and facing a certain direction you are out of luck. Pity.

Thanks for the replies. I just gave up on it and decided to carry on with the mission, but knowing that I can choose my squad's loadout is useful info. Thanks =)

Before the mission stars you`ll get the team ab on the briefing screen. Go to that screen and search for your marksman`s gear. After that you can move his scope from his inventory to yours. When done you should try taking out the guards by yourself (they`re on the small, left tower).

only thing you need to do is assign part of the team on a tagret and the other half on the other. they'll shoot at the same time, and even if the targets wont come down at the same time the mission will be acknowledged. Assigning two different targets to your squad is probably the only requirement for succeding the task.

• Like 1

Yep, assign half of the team to engage one target, and the rest to the other target.

You might want to do the scouting missions before this one to get some good gear and do it during daytime (doing other main missions first or vice versa). I took Mk18 + Suppressor + Sniper Optical Sight. Zero in at 300m and hit the guard on higher position. Then the one on lower position. Works every time. You could also take .50 sniper rifle that you can get from one of the scouting missions, although you might need to be faster because you cannot fit it with a suppressor.

I don't know where some of you guys came up with that you should not fire your weapon, because you can and should, instead of relying on AI.

I don't know where some of you guys came up with that you should not fire your weapon, because you can and should, instead of relying on AI.

If you fire, the "Await Orders" task will fail, and you will get an angry radio comm from Slingshot, something like, "I told you to not give away your position." The only way I could get the Await Orders and Neutralize Guards tasks to pass was to assign targets to squad, order them to fire, and not firing myself.

589f7d390808957.jpg

Now that's just plain silly, considering LMG bullet-spam you're supposed to call will give away your position rather well.

Yep. I guess BI wanted to really teach players to assign targets. I had to replay that bit in confusion several times to get all tasks to complete. But I think that some of your squad members have silenced weapons by default? Not sure on that, but I remember the two targets going down very quickly, and with not much gunfire, on at least a few of my retries of that section.

If you fire, the "Await Orders" task will fail, and you will get an angry radio comm from Slingshot, something like, "I told you to not give away your position." The only way I could get the Await Orders and Neutralize Guards tasks to pass was to assign targets to squad, order them to fire, and not firing myself.

http://thumbnails109.imagebam.com/39081/589f7d390808957.jpg

Objective only fails if you miss too many shots or take too long between targets. If you do it like I said it works just fine, hence sniper scope for easier headshots.

Yep, you are correct. When I played mission, I was using MK 200 LMG, so lots of shots went off when I fired, and that must have failed the "Neutralize Guards" task. On a replay, I had my squad take out one sentry, and I took out the other with one sniper shot, and both tasks completed:

You have to wait until Slingshot's entire message to open fire is complete before shooting, or else the "Await Orders" task will fail. Sometimes I ordered my squad to fire before he was finished speaking, resulting in task failure.

Wow, he took him out with one shot. Good job AI :D.

because each and every time i shot my weapon and killed one of the targets i'd fail for no reason at all...

The aforementioned solutions do not work; for me at least. Just when a squadmate-AI fires the first shot (or when I do it by myself), you hear Slingshot's rant about staying undetected and all that stuff. It is not about hitting and missing or the time gap between neutralizing the second target and the first one, it is after the first damn shot. Did recent updates change something, or is it ASR AI mod that messes things up?

The aforementioned solutions do not work; for me at least. Just when a squadmate-AI fires the first shot (or when I do it by myself), you hear Slingshot's rant about staying undetected and all that stuff. It is not about hitting and missing or the time gap between neutralizing the second target and the first one, it is after the first damn shot. Did recent updates change something, or is it ASR AI mod that messes things up?

It's ASR. The objective still completes fine with the latest updates, so try running the mission without it.

Also one of the conditions for failing the objective (apart from firing too early before Slingshot finishes his message) is if the tower guards open fire. ASR probably makes the guards too responsive and causes them to shoot in your direction even though they'll miss.

Sorry to necro.

Trying to do this mission again here in 2018 and after 50 - 100 attempts i just can't get it.

Back in 2016/17 it just seemed to be a case of simply assigning target A to a couple of members and B to a couple of other members and then selecting open fire once Slingshot finishes his 'Light them up' line.

Both targets would drop simultaneously as if scripted or something and bob's yer uncle.

Now multiple shots are fired and my team never seem to be able to hit both guys at the same time.

I suspect that over the years some patch or addition might have broken this mission.

Anyone that has had past success able to have a go at this and report back?

If you could have 2-3 tries to prove repeat-ability that would be appreciated.

Back in 2016 everything i read above matches how it once worked for me.

On 11/19/2018 at 8:39 PM, Virtual Insanity said:

Anyone that has had past success able to have a go at this and report back?

Hi,

I was able to run the objective successfully just yesterday (October 5 2020). Albeit, it took me several retries. I do not know what script is behind the objective, but from my attempts, it looked liked it's just a matter of killing both soldiers at the same time. After some tries, my men finally managed to hit them simultaneously.

BTW, I strongly suggest playing the Scouting mission beforehand and getting the necessary equipment (scopes).

I don't have a marksman at all, all the equipment I have access to is cr*p, no long range anything, how the hell am I supposed to do this mission when after 20 seconds it repeatedly fails, especially because the orders I give aren't acknowledged meaning repeated failure because my AI team mates have the skill of a static rock at best. Best magnification I have is 2x which is next to useless.

Just remembered, I also have binoculars, but when I try to use them they go to Kerry's chest with no visibility of anything at all, do I need to reinstall as the game is behaving extremely badly at best?

On 10/30/2020 at 7:00 PM, DrakonixS said:

I don't have a marksman at all, all the equipment I have access to is cr*p, no long range anything, how the hell am I supposed to do this mission when after 20 seconds it repeatedly fails, especially because the orders I give aren't acknowledged meaning repeated failure because my AI team mates have the skill of a static rock at best. Best magnification I have is 2x which is next to useless.

Just remembered, I also have binoculars, but when I try to use them they go to Kerry's chest with no visibility of anything at all, do I need to reinstall as the game is behaving extremely badly at best?

Hi, have you even glanced through this one page thread? It's recommended to do scouting missions prior doing the mission in order to acquire specialized gear. Alternatively, squad and team leaders have ARCO/MRCO/RCO 4x scopes. 6.5mm MX/MX SW/MXM rifles combined with 4x optic should do the job but as mentioned above, you should get a 7.62mm Mk18 marksman rifle, a proper marksman scope and possibly a 7.62mm suppressor for optimal outcome.