Sign in to follow this  
scrapser

Latest Patch Gives CC:GM a Familiar Feel

My compliments to the folks working on the improvements. With the latest patch the CC strategy game is starting to feel like the original. The enemy carrier's behavior and the strength of its islands is keeping me very busy and thwarting my plans!

Thanks to you all.

I thought the "let the enemy carrier teleport away when it's been beaten up too badly" to be a steaming pile of excrement in the campaign game and didn't comment about it since that didn't happen in the non-campaign game.

I just played a non-campaign game with the latest patch (1_07_0025) and I'd like to know what idiot thought that it was a wonderful idea to bring that crap into the non-campaign games?

Please allow me to turn that bullshit off or I will never play this again.

I do NOT want effing enemy carrier re-spawn. EVER. Maybe someone else does so you can leave it as a default, but I had better be able to turn that crap off outside of the campaign game.

That is NOTHING like the original. NOTHING.

I thought the "let the enemy carrier teleport away when it's been beaten up too badly" to be a steaming pile of excrement in the campaign game and didn't comment about it since that didn't happen in the non-campaign game.

I just played a non-campaign game with the latest patch (1_07_0025) and I'd like to know what idiot thought that it was a wonderful idea to bring that crap into the non-campaign games?

Please allow me to turn that bullshit off or I will never play this again.

I do NOT want effing enemy carrier re-spawn. EVER. Maybe someone else does so you can leave it as a default, but I had better be able to turn that crap off outside of the campaign game.

That is NOTHING like the original. NOTHING.

Deadly Islands mod disables this function.

Deadly Islands mod disables this function.

And that's cool.

Like I wrote, I don't mind that the carrier re-spawn is the default behavior. Some people live to beat up the enemy carrier. I do mind that I can't turn it off.

Now, if the long-range telemetry pods from the original along with the ability for Mantas to land on friendly islands to re-fuel were introduced to the game, I might also live to beat up the enemy carrier.

But if you want scenarios to be harder, then it would make more sense (well, to me) for all the enemy held islands to switch over to become defense islands after the carrier is sunk versus re-spawning the silly thing. It's not like there is a carrier to supply any more in that case.

You could also argue that the island defenders could expand their reaction radii to encompass the entire island and to send all ground vehicles to any location where the island detects 4 walruses. Both against humans and the AI.

For me, the new CC:GM is focused on island taking. The enemy carrier has never posed a challenge when encountered. It is mainly an annoyance taking islands and interrupting the flow of my own strategy. The biggest challenge for me is enemy walruses equipped with missiles or flak cannons. They are real buggers to clear out.

I wish it were more easy to feel the choke off of resources due to the enemy carrier's successful activities. I clearly remember that being a big part of the original game. Once you were on the short end of the balance it was very difficult to recover and make a comeback.

For me, the new CC:GM is focused on island taking. The enemy carrier has never posed a challenge when encountered. It is mainly an annoyance taking islands and interrupting the flow of my own strategy. The biggest challenge for me is enemy walruses equipped with missiles or flak cannons. They are real buggers to clear out.

I wish it were more easy to feel the choke off of resources due to the enemy carrier's successful activities. I clearly remember that being a big part of the original game. Once you were on the short end of the balance it was very difficult to recover and make a comeback.

Well, part of that was due to the way resupply worked in the original.

In the original, you had to be within a near radius of a friendly island to get resupply. I believe (but could be wrong) that the friendly island had to be connected to the stockpile island to be a valid supply source for the carrier. The same constraint appeared to apply to the enemy carrier.

So you could draw the enemy carrier deep into your half of the island network, take over/destroy an island far away that breaks the supply chain, and starve the bastard. The enemy could also do that to you, but I don't think the AI back then was clever enough to plan for that. It did mean that you had to be careful when you attacked an island to ensure that you had sufficient resources to make it back to a supply island if the attack failed. Plus if you were short on supplies when you attacked, you really wanted to take over the island versus destroy the command center since that would allow you resupply immediately after takeover versus having to wait for the new command center to come on-line.

Or so I remember it. :)

Well, part of that was due to the way resupply worked in the original.

In the original, you had to be within a near radius of a friendly island to get resupply. I believe (but could be wrong) that the friendly island had to be connected to the stockpile island to be a valid supply source for the carrier. The same constraint appeared to apply to the enemy carrier.

So you could draw the enemy carrier deep into your half of the island network, take over/destroy an island far away that breaks the supply chain, and starve the bastard. The enemy could also do that to you, but I don't think the AI back then was clever enough to plan for that. It did mean that you had to be careful when you attacked an island to ensure that you had sufficient resources to make it back to a supply island if the attack failed. Plus if you were short on supplies when you attacked, you really wanted to take over the island versus destroy the command center since that would allow you resupply immediately after takeover versus having to wait for the new command center to come on-line.

Or so I remember it. :)

I will have to play the original again and check out the behavior. I have the Amiga version but not sure if that would be important.

I will have to play the original again and check out the behavior. I have the Amiga version but not sure if that would be important.

Several behaviours I remember from the previous game:

(1) Your home base / starting point island (Vulcan) had to be connected to your stockpile island (Otherwise the transfer of materials and items was not possible)

(2) You had to go back to the stockpile island to resupply

(3) Stockpile island could be re-assigned instantly but the game calculated / estimated how long it would take to transit materials from one island to the next - and it did that with everything (items sent from old stockpile to new stockpile, and newly constructed items sent to new stockpile and therefore items would arrive at different times increasing realism). If the old stockpile wasn't connected to the new stockpile, I believe it wouldn't transfer stockpiled items and those would be lost (but i could be wrong on that)

(4) It took a relatively short time for the Command Centre to build after placing down a builder pod.

Several behaviours I remember from the previous game:

(1) Your home base / starting point island (Vulcan) had to be connected to your stockpile island (Otherwise the transfer of materials and items was not possible)

(2) You had to go back to the stockpile island to resupply

(3) Stockpile island could be re-assigned instantly but the game calculated / estimated how long it would take to transit materials from one island to the next - and it did that with everything (items sent from old stockpile to new stockpile, and newly constructed items sent to new stockpile and therefore items would arrive at different times increasing realism). If the old stockpile wasn't connected to the new stockpile, I believe it wouldn't transfer stockpiled items and those would be lost (but i could be wrong on that)

(4) It took a relatively short time for the Command Centre to build after placing down a builder pod.

I think your memory is better than mine. All these points ring a bell.

While it didn't take long for a Command Center to be built, it did take a measurable amount of time. It also took a while for the other artifacts on the island to be built/rebuilt since tear-down started as soon as the old command center blew up. (Which was really neat, since you could watch all that happening from a parked walrus on the island.)

---------- Post added at 09:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:48 PM ----------

Oh, and I haven't played CC:GM since my post on the 20th of last month. Nor will I until the next patch is pushed onto Steam.

[/color]Oh, and I haven't played CC:GM since my post on the 20th of last month. Nor will I until the next patch is pushed onto Steam.

And here we are at almost in September and I haven't played CC:GM since March all due to the last beta patch with the respawning carrier.

Good job. I used to play it all the time and thought it was fun.

And here we are at almost in September and I haven't played CC:GM since March all due to the last beta patch with the respawning carrier.

Good job. I used to play it all the time and thought it was fun.

Deadly Islands mod removes the game's respawning carrier as it has its own respawn system which you can opt out of if you don't like it.

HI All,

I have been trying to download the "Carrier_Command_Patch_1_07_0025_Beta_SDK.zip" patch but getting a 404 not found error.

does anyone here knows or can send me the link to get the 1.07.0025 patch so I can update to deadly Island release 1.23...

thanks,

Dan

Edited by dccarrier14

Deadly Islands mod removes the game's respawning carrier as it has its own respawn system which you can opt out of if you don't like it.

Yeah, I tried that mod but wasn't happy with the results. (Which is not meant as a slam on the mod designer! A *lot* of work went into it and it delivers what it promises.) I guess that I could shuffle back and forth between islands until I'm able to afford better weapons to take on the deadly islands. Doing that isn't very fun and it eats the small amount of gaming time that I have.

I haven't played CC:GM in months. I used to have a lot of fun playing it, but not any more. I don't even think about playing it, so double-thumbs-up BI; you pissed off a customer that used to really enjoy the game. Of course, I've already paid for it so there's no economic advantage for them to make me happy but I wonder who the hell asked for them to add that?

Rhetorical question. I'll probably delete the link to here in my browser and ignore the game in my steam library.

Good luck for the rest of you. If you are enjoying the game the way it is now, good for you. (no sarcasm)