Sign in to follow this  
dale0404

A storm is coming (Arma 3 Zeus DLC)

Above the desks of the devs and the CEO hangs a neon sign that is flashing the words 'wider audience' and 'casual gameplay'.

I was hopin SOON there the new Visitor but naaaah

but i think and hope this will be fun

Edited by Coward_Heart
just because

Forgive me, but I still don't really understand what this Zeus DLC actually is. Is it just a 3d editor or an actual MP game mode where everyone can spawn tank AI wherever they want and shoot lightning bolts at me?

It's an extensible MP framework, which enables (at least) one player to assume the role of a Game Master (AKA 'Zeus'). GMs can create and edit entities (vehicles, units) and logic (objectives, waypoints) on-the-fly.

On top of this framework, the DLC itself comes with some dedicated scenarios, where Zeus/players have some specific non-adversarial goals (like a simple sector control or deathmatch).

Zeus multiplayer also works with custom player-created scenarios, which is where we think its true potential lies. You can take any scenario and build upon it, or simply curate it as an admin.

We hope to flesh out the concept, and answer some of your questions on our Livestream, Saturday February 15, at 17:00 UTC.

Best,

RiE

Obviously we will have to wait and see what features and facilities are included. I wonder if it will allow two players to go head to head after designing their own armies (maybe a third referee to change the landscape and send in weather), or even in SP/MP whether it is possible to craft evolving missions and scenarios which can be saved and replayed again, almost like mission creation. We'll know (more) in an hour or so.

I personally would also like to see some content added, but I am greedy like that.

cj

Does anyone else notice that this appears to be the first time in the whole series that BI has offered "official" TDM?

For me it sounds like a user-friendly rip-off of MCC Sandbox.

I doubt it's bigger than new gamemodes or a Coop Campaign (remember Twitter?). But lets see how it turns out.

Will there be the option to let a semi-AI control/be Zeus? Or is this planned in the future? I think this would be totally awesome. The highest dynamic ever seen.

Because as for now, I for example see no big fun in being Zeus. It would only pay out for big comunitys with a lot of players - the way MCC is used to create dynamic missions.

Zeus multiplayer also works with custom player-created scenarios, which is where we think its true potential lies.

Best,

RiE

Will there also be a way to disable Zeus from being used in custom missions by mission makers? If I create/design a mission to be played in a certain way and with the content I added, what would be the point if anyone can Zeusify it on the go?

Will it add a 3D editor at the actual one ? Or it's only a MP gamemode ?

It's an extensible MP framework, which enables (at least) one player to assume the role of a Game Master (AKA 'Zeus'). GMs can create and edit entities (vehicles, units) and logic (objectives, waypoints) on-the-fly.

On top of this framework, the DLC itself comes with some dedicated scenarios, where Zeus/players have some specific non-adversarial goals (like a simple sector control or deathmatch).

Zeus multiplayer also works with custom player-created scenarios, which is where we think its true potential lies. You can take any scenario and build upon it, or simply curate it as an admin.

We hope to flesh out the concept, and answer some of your questions on our Livestream, Saturday February 15, at 17:00 UTC.

Best,

RiE

Seems really interesting. If there is PvP, it begs the question whether or not there is 3rd person "wall hacks" enabled by default and if the Game Master can surround a player with objects that they can't get around for trolling purposes (or spawn an enemy squadron right on top of me). I was really hoping that this would be a true PvP mode that Arma desperately needs, such as what Tactical Battlefield is doing (Please tell me that there will be Standardization of PvP in this Zeus DLC so we don't have to find a hardcore King of the Hill server):

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?169645-Tactical-Battlefield-A-PvP-Modification

Will there also be a way to disable Zeus from being used in custom missions by mission makers? If I create/design a mission to be played in a certain way and with the content I added, what would be the point if anyone can Zeusify it on the go?

Think of it more as something you have to add to your mission to enable - it's not a default mechanic, but a module you'd drop down in the editor if you want to introduce the functionality.

Best,

RiE

Edited by RoyaltyinExile
Added Ref Quote for clairty

Will there be the option to let a semi-AI control/be Zeus? Or is this planned in the future? I think this would be totally awesome. The highest dynamic ever seen.

It's called scripting ;)

Arma desperately needs, such as what Tactical Battlefield is doing

Arma is much more wide and open game played by majority of different communities, play styles,

it doesn't needs tactical battlefield esque direction because you like it.

OT: I was expecting Defend the flag type of scenario, but you brought up something much more

awesome!Good work, I'm liking the trailer!

I'm putting this mode shoulder to shoulder to VTS mod.

Arma is much more wide and open game played by majority of different communities, play styles,

it doesn't needs tactical battlefield esque direction because you like it.

The fact that there is no "Tactical Battlefield esque direction" at all in Arma makes play styles not as wide and open as you just said, doesn't it? Your statement is completely contradictory. DOH!

And yes, it DOES need that direction - because it's the only game mode that hardly anyone plays BECAUSE of the lack of direction.

There is a reason that PvP is a joke in the Arma series: No standardization.

Above the desks of the devs and the CEO hangs a neon sign that is flashing the words 'wider audience' and 'casual gameplay'.

A game mode which allows on the fly battlefield management which ultimately can lead to much more dynamic MP game play sessions strikes you as casual :confused:

Creative game masters will be able to adapt scenarios based on the skill of the participating players and mission progression.

BTW , The music track playing in the background is nice :cool:

if you conduct enough electricty through a wire "anything thats conducts electricity/unless its a supercondutor". it will start to heat up and if you continue to apply more & more electricity to it, in the end it will start to melt. this due to resistance in the metal. want to learn more about it ,read about Joule heating.

So yes its possible to destroy a tank with lightning. it just needs to be insanly high amount of Energy(Watts) involved here.

now ofcource you could say. No man made or "Earth" made lightning has en energy to do this is another thing.

i bet Zeus could do that.. hes a god after all.

and dont use Youtube videos as proof. thats just BS if you know some physics ;)

it doesnt matter if its realistic to destroy a tank with lighting or not: this is arma and it does not fit in arma to send lighting to someone and it is not realistic to use lighting against someone. hell this is arma its a milsim not a RTS game with laser guns and weather weapons or a warcraft RTS game but arma 3 was from first time a fail in terms of realism

Think of it more as something you have to add to your mission to enable - it's not a default mechanic, but a module you'd drop down in the editor if you want to introduce the functionality.

Best,

RiE

Ahh I see, well thats good then, cheers. :)

it doesnt matter if its realistic to destroy a tank with lighting or not: this is arma and it does not fit in arma to send lighting to someone and it is not realistic to use lighting against someone. hell this is arma its a milsim not a RTS game with laser guns and weather weapons or a warcraft RTS game but arma 3 was from first time a fail in terms of realism

ArmA is a versatile sandbox game, you can invent whatever game mode you want. Live with it.

Your war, your rules, don't use it then.

The game mode/dlc is called Zeus. Lightning was seen as one of Zeus's weapons. The whole destruction by lighting bolt is most likely a nod at that and is not the central point of this DLC. Don't over analyze things.

A game mode which allows on the fly battlefield management which ultimately can lead to much more dynamic MP game play sessions strikes you as casual :confused:

Creative game masters will be able to adapt scenarios based on the skill of the participating players and mission progression.

BTW , The music track playing in the background is nice :cool:

With casual I meant more the option to dumb down a mission, even if thats not intended. I am jumping the gun abit I admit, because we have not even tried Zeus out yet. It is a bit my fear though, that arma is being changed to please the masses, not rational thinking of me I know. My motto is more like 'if it is to hard for you then get better at it', Zeus as it appears gives the option to make things easier on the go and theoretically make it into a run&gun fest if the game master wants to. I am probably being paranoid about it :)

Trailer looks pretty amazing. Have been playing missions created with VTS and MCC since Arma 2 and look forward to trying Zeus. Hope that it will be mod friendly, especially with third party terrain.

With casual I meant more the option to dumb down a mission, even if thats not intended. I am jumping the gun abit I admit, because we have not even tried Zeus out yet. It is a bit my fear though, that arma is being changed to please the masses, not rational thinking of me I know. My motto is more like 'if it is to hard for you then get better at it', Zeus as it appears gives the option to make things easier on the go and theoretically make it into a run&gun fest if the game master wants to. I am probably being paranoid about it :)

Just to make myself clear as well, when I said ability to adapt the scenario to the players skills, I was primarily thinking of adding extra threats based on how fast the players eliminated preexisting ones and directing them in a more focused manner during co-op missions :D