Sign in to follow this  
cimalex

[SP/@] Strela! (RWO)

Hi gents,

here's my latest contribution to RWO missions::)

DIH Africa Guerra do Ultra Mar - by CimaleX v. 1.00

SA-7 Strela! - Operation Rio Cacheu, a PAIGC guerrilla mission in Guinea Bissau, September 1973.

The plan is rather articulated and hazardous, PAIGC gerrillas have to infiltrate into portugese controlled territory in the area of Farim, along the Rio Cacheu with two squads of five men each, onboard two Zodiac rafts.

After an intensive training by soviet and chinese advisors, the PAIGC group task is to infiltrate the area of Farim and strike the main portugese FOB that controls the rural area plantations road.

Their duty is to carry ten men deep inside enemy territory, avoid detection and strike the portugese camp, where they keep an infantry garrison and almost two-three Alouette helicopters.

These helicopters as well as G-91 fast jets are a real nightmare for PAIGC units in this area and in whole Guinea Bissau in general, because they are a constant and deadly nightmare for guerrilla cadres and supply camps, that have to be moved constantly.

They have been trained intensively by soviet friends in the use of SA-7 anti aircraft missiles (MANPADs), the group will bring with them one-two launchers and two missiles, while two of those men will carry on shoulder a disassembled mortar, needed to strike the portugese FOB and its helipad.

The patrol task of well trained PAIGC men is aimed to:

Make contact with the population (most important) to show guerrilla presence and gain intelligence.

Retain initiative against portugese forces.

Make ambushes on road convoys.

Kill colonialist soldiers - Keep in mind that a portugese patrol might shadow our insurgent groups for several hours/days before attacking.

Wait for air strikes where appropriate, and ambush helicopters/aeroplanes with our new SA-7 SAMs.

Strela_overviewPicture02_zpsd970e4f1.jpg

File available at thsi link:

http://www10.zippyshare.com/v/1070740/file.html

(DIH_Strela.7z)

Addons required:

ArmA2 OA - vers.1.62

DIH - Guerra du Ultramar mod.

@CBA

Issues: mission is long and rather difficult, requires adequate planning, frequent savegames, follow strictly (like in the reality) the briefing and orders received.

Enjoy!:bounce3:

By CimaleX

this is strange:

how long it takes for the convoy to arrive after the jeep? i was waiting very long but it didn't come.

Very strange, it arrives after 1 or 2 minutes, try to restart the mission again.

But if someone of your chaps will start firing, the convoy escape away or stop.

This is one of the characteristic of the mission, try to think it in the real life...

Enjoy

Just started mission.

Had no problem with Convoy except that I fired too early and destroyed the jeep.............big big mistake.

Will try to finish it today.

If you fire the jeep the survivors call in for accurate mortar firing (thanks to their radio) and might be no escape for you and your chaps...

As I wrote in the readme file, you have to comply strictly (as it was in the real life for african marxists gerrillas) with HQ orders and briefing plan.

Remember you have no support and no radio to call HQ or other.

Just a bunch of comrades waiting for you in a far safe sanctuary at the end of the mission.

Remember do not waist Strelas (you have just two of them, one with you and the other with your n°2) and keep alive your n°6 that have a portable mortar on shoulders, when at Firing Pos.1 (or 2) you have the possibility to engage enemy targets with it.

dont know whats wrong but the convoy doesn't come. i'll try to disable all other mods.

EDIT:

ok, it works now! looks very interesting!

Edited by spotter001

Convoy comes shortly after the Jeep. DONT DESTROY THAT JEEP! Big big mistake:(

@cimalex

I don't know how to assemble the Mortar.

I can order my F6 man to drop it on the ground. I can pick it up, but I don't know how to assemble this.

BIS teaches this someplace? I have no idea how.

Thanks

I simply did this simple trick:

Place yourself and comrade n°6 close the Attack position 1 or 2 (with n°6 alive), then an assembled mortar will appear automatically (I simulat the disasembly operation in that place with a simple mote to Pos. script).

Then move yourself inside the mortar as gunner and use "computer mortar manager" or something like this, a map will appear with the possibility to send coordinates and mortars salvo pressing coords first, then press Fire...

There's also a box with 82mm mortars round but I am not able to reload the mortar once I finish the 8 or so shots.

Simply aim well at the desired coordinates, then once out of mortar ammos attack the outopost with your men.

At this point the survivors of squad B will join you and your chaps in the seize of the outpost.

Primary target of the outpost are the choppers line, with its repair/refuel facilities.

I will later learn how to manage and carry the mortars...

Enjoy

dont know whats wrong but the convoy doesn't come. i'll try to disable all other mods.

EDIT:

ok, it works now! looks very interesting!

What mods did you use? The convoy doesn't come for me as well...

^^ well, i normally use 20+ mods, including full ACE2 pack. i didn't have the nerve to pinpoint which one caused the problem so i disabled all the mods (except those required).

The convoy then showed up, however, i couldn't find a spare missile for the Strela....i checked all squad members but no one had any? Real shame, i really wanted to down that annoying Cesna:D

I run only JSRS and blast core and still don't get any convoy... Can't it be these?

Did you guys get the Jeep? First the jeep will come speeding down. About a minute or two after that, you get two trucks and a bus.

Be sure you've got your sachel placed then blast the first or second truck...........

and did u manage to find a spare missile for Strela? i cant find it, squad member no.2 doesn't have it.

Hi gents,

I added a spare Strela missile to my n°2 (check well the DIH_weapons.sqs script inside the mission) so once player missile is fired, there's stilln°2, check better please.

Once the jeep is passed unschated (if you destroy it a dense arty barrage will hit your positions killing most part of team mates and maybe yourself) and if anyone will open fire (you have to set your chaps with order "don't fire" otherwise the convoy will warn an ambush and stop, or run away) a convoy (two military trucks and a bus) will come to the road; place a satchel charge, stop one of them then start opening fire to the survivors.

Next target is reaching Strike position n°1 or n°2, get a mortar (a script file will place a mortar if comrade n°6 will come close that position alive) then opening fire to the outpost, in order to achieve the task, destroy the chopper line facility first, in the immediate vicinity of the FOB.

Once you did that, escape from that hell, but in the meanwhile try to shoot down almost one of the aircraft and choppers (Alouette, Cessna185 and G-91R) that will come to the scene.

Also team Bravo (the other 5 chaps in the second Zodiac) have a Strela launcher, but no spare missiles, so it's up you you making good use of those two SA-7.

Enjoy!

Ok finally completed the mission! Great job Cimalex, it was a good ride.

First of all, I suggest to add to the mission briefing that the objective is specifically to destroy the helicopter depot. Currently the only indication for that is a temporary 'hint' that goes away after a while and is easily missed.

Several guys at the base where stuck in their animations even after the battle started, some of those couldn't be killed no matter how any bullets they took. Also some guys were performing their animations in wrong places, like "repairing" animation with nothing I front of them.

Could use one more Strela. I shot down a helicopter and the scout aircraft, and had nothing to face that Mig 19 lookalike.

However, great atmosphere, great research, fun mission, highly recommended.

P.s it appears that JSRS bugs the ambush! Only when I removed it I managed to get the "place a satchel on the road" message and the convoy to come. First time I see JSRS breaking a mission...

Edited by Variable

Hi Variable,

glad you completed the mision successfully and with some fun.

Next mission will be Operation Mar Verde 1970, a night mision by portugese forces into Conakry Guinea.

When I will release it, I will also make some updates as you suggested in your last post, as well as new mortar managment, now that I learnt how to manage it...

And no more stupid useless animations.

Cheers

hi, i enjoyed the mission, real atmospheric, but i couldnt finish it, i tried it with ACE 2 and everything was great, even with convoy, but when i deployed mortar and got in as gunner i couldnt fire north or north-west/east, i only can fire south, i dont know why, i tried to drag it too but when i open artillery computer it just dont want to fire at FOB. But i really enjoyed the beginning, aproaching by the boat and that african music, the weather is great(by the way could you tell me the beginning song name?:)).

Songs from Blackhawkdown theme.

Abou thet mortar fire computer you have to change fire settings in order to shoot at greater distance.

Convoy might be destroyed by satchel charge placed on the main road and rpg fire.

Thanks for positive feedback.