Sign in to follow this  
Nakkis

Ai shooting range?

yes... AI shooting range... did you get the idea?

Own soldiers (those who you give orders/commands) shooting range --> very very bad... why?

Enemy soldier shooting range --> better than own soldiers...

I play with visibility 2000-2500 and geometry performance 2500 and I can see enemy from far away and when I get enough close so I can shoot, my own soldiers cant see/shoot them, but the enemy can see/shoot me. WHY?

Play resistance single player map when the russian attacks with boat etc etc... You can fire the russian from the hill but you own soldiers wont fire. Even if I order them to get good positions still they dont fire.

Yes, every commands like open fire, engage etc etc etc have ordered to do but still nothing. BUT! the russian can fire me and my soldiers from down the beach... play that map so you can see and understand whats my point...

so someone explain this...

More a general Resistance topic than a troubleshooting one smile.gif

(Doubt, that it is Resistance related)

if they didn't changed it for Resistance, there are fix engagement distances for different units.

Rifle: 200m

MG: 450 or 500m

Sniper: same as MG, afair

So if its a fixed distance per weapon, how come if you shoot from over 200m with a rifle, the enemy scan shoot back.

But your AI/Team, wont fire back?confused.gif

If it is a fixed distance, then the enemy and AI should open fire at aproximatley the same time. But i can assure you that this is not the case.

The best thing would be is to have the AI see as far as you set your ViewDistance and start engaging at their discrection.(not necesairly shooting from 1000m but sneaking up etc.)

Although this might take up too much CPU time?

If u want to know exactly how the AI engages you would have to get word from BIS.... but that might be a spoiler.

One thing that bothers me slightly is that I see and can identify targets when looking at the monitor but I can not tell my guys to engage them until I am extremely close or until a team-member sees the target for himself (this is usually too late).

I'll try turning on auto report and then maybe I will report targets to my team? Doubt I'll be able to give an engage soldier order from more than 200m.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote ([sWAF]Lunatic @ July 05 2002,16:49)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">So if its a fixed distance per weapon, how come if you shoot from over 200m with a rifle, the enemy scan shoot back.

But your AI/Team, wont fire back?confused.gif

If it is a fixed distance, then the enemy and AI should open fire at aproximatley the same time. But i can assure you that this is not the case.<span id='postcolor'>

All I can say is that Suma said something like this once, however, I can't find the according thread despite the almost fixed search engine wink.gif

here is a idea. the Military is traned for spoting things that dont right or should be there. the civ arnt really trained for combate they are just rebels and that would make it hard for them to spot a person in camo at long rangers where on the other hand the trained military wouldnt have as hard as a time. some people are good at spoting this difference in partterens of colors and shapes where others arnt. so dont think its always because of the rang but posibility of simulation of the eyes of the AI not being very well trained for this

I think they just added more experienced AI enemys than in the Campaigns before...!

Try with the Editor, higher skill will make AI engage at higher distance, and much faster and coordinatet.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">here is a idea. the Military is traned for spoting things that dont right or should be there. the civ arnt really trained for combate they are just rebels and that would make it hard for them to spot a person in camo at long rangers where on the other hand the trained military wouldnt have as hard as a time. some people are good at spoting this difference in partterens of colors and shapes where others arnt. so dont think its always because of the rang but posibility of simulation of the eyes of the AI not being very well trained for this<span id='postcolor'>

I agree with this, however, if i fire at a target, and you were a soldier under my command, i would expect you to fire at the target aswell, especially if there are numerous targets. So whilst it stands to reason that the resistance would be less experienced, ask yourself would i shoot when my commander does.........errrrrrr Yes.

if i couldnt see the target i would most likly wouldnt shoot. even in MP if some one sees me and shoots at me if i do not find where the shots are coming from or who is shoot i usly dont bother returning fire untell i find them or see them. but thats just me

I agree with the 200m/500m setting for the different AIs.

I think it works like this:

They are engaging, because these are the combatranges for the different rifles.

Why are the enemys shooting at you from more than 200m?

At first: They only start shooting, if they recognize you. If you're carefull they wont notice you before you're really close (remember to order "go prown" for your team). But if you make the fault, to show the enemy were you are with shooting at him, this happens:

------------------

-enemy soldiers search for cover

-they start to scan horizon for the sniper (you)

-soldier of the enemy squad reports your position or the officer himself sees you first with his binoculars

distance 201-500:

-officer orders all longrange weapons to shoot at you: Sniper, MG

-and orders the rest of his squad to advance to your position until distance ist less than 200m, while the long range weapons keep you low.

distance 0-200:

-officer orders his entire squad to shoot at the reportet enemy

------------

Im sure the only soldiers firing their weapons at you, when you are trying to kill(snipe) them without your squad (>200), are the MGs/Sniper of the squads you are shooting at. while they are shooting and you are busy, you didn't really recognize that all the other enemys with assaultrifles advanced, until they reached 200m and then opend fire, too.

This means for the Player: Work w i t h your AI squad! You are "Officer", and you have to play as one in resistance for victory. You can't you just run around with a group following you, hoping they know what to do without orders.

Like in reallife:

Its no good idea to show the enemy your position, when you are not ready to attack.

When only you, your sniper, and your machinegunner are able to shoot at a large ammount of enemys, and the rest of the squad (7-9 guys?) are not able to hit them because >200m away, you are not ready to engage.

Before the attack, make sure that all of your men are in position and able to fire at the enemys.

If something happens, that you don't have the time to make all this things sure you're ambushed, have failed your mission and possible your squad will be eliminated.

how to tell all this your AI teammates:

-order to "hold fire"

-when approaching the target area order "danger" and "keep low"

-as soon as you see enemys (even really far away) order your team to "hold"

-advance as a scout and and make sure to learn as much as possible about the enemy in the targetarea

-with this knowledge search for a good position near your scouting position, fitting for the attack of your team. (distance to enemys <200m!wink.gif

-if its an "easy to use" position, get in the middle of the  natural cover, and order your team :  "formation: line", "return to formation"

-if its a "difficult to use" position place all youre men with ordering them by mouse to all the different covers in the are you've choosen. important is that most of your team has a line of sight to the targets.

-be sure to watch how you're men approach you, and in the moment the enemy possibly could spot them order "go prown" for the remaining way to the attack position

-when all of them are in postion, order "look at direction" enemys

-get your binoculars and start with rightclicks to "report" your team all enemys you can see. every single soldier/tank if possible.

(this way you make sure youre squad knows the same enemy targets that you know, beacuse they only "know" enemys that are reportet over radio. thats why they allways say "enemy,soldier,100m" even if they were surprised and killed him in a second.)

Another good thing about your reports: If your AIs know enemy officers, mgs, snipers these are their primary targets, even if there are 30 other enemys.

- action:

first order only your sniper to attack someone important, repeat, until the enemys are alerted (they go prown search for the sniper ect)

this is the time to order all of your squad "weapons free"

- if possible continue your work with the binocular, to report new targets. if they are in range and a AI has nothing to shoot at it will open fire on the new target.

- after most of the enemys are mowed down, order "hold fire" if you have to watch your ammo.

- ether wait till the fleeing enemys return, or advance to the target area, ready to engage enemy survivers.

Noone can tell me that he really can h i t every running enemy soldier 200m or more away with an M16 or AK47/74. Yes it's possible in ofp, but its ineffective compared to doing the same at <200m.

But I still dont like it when enemy can kill me and my soldiers with ak from further distance... Have you tested that mission what I talked about?

yes when the enemy come closer that 200m they will start shooting but the killing range with those weapons is much bigger than 200m because I can kill enemy very easy when range is over 200m so why the AI shooting range isnt 250 or 300m?

I cant stand how the enemy can snipe you with one shot from a AK at a range of over 200m. The accuracy of weapons really needs to be changed becuase this would be a miricle in real life

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (madmike @ July 07 2002,20:22)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I cant stand how the enemy can snipe  you with one shot from a AK at a range of over 200m. The accuracy of weapons really needs to be changed becuase this would be a miricle in real life<span id='postcolor'>

Maybe you should disable SuperAI? With SuperAI you can see such miracles. smile.gif

Without it they wont kill you with the first shot, but some of their bullets sooner or later have to hit if you don't disangage, because otherwise they wont shot at you.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (madmike @ July 07 2002,21:22)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I cant stand how the enemy can snipe  you with one shot from a AK at a range of over 200m. The accuracy of weapons really needs to be changed becuase this would be a miricle in real life<span id='postcolor'>

No they dont, its not the weapons anyway because they are accurate in real life to 300-400m or so, i have been sniped with a bizon or AKSU many times at 200m and it get on my nerves mad.gif , i know its highly trained Spetz that use these, but the weapons effective range is about 200-250m, but the accuracy of the soldiers is too good, headshots at 200m with an SMG pee me off no end, but dont blame it on the weapons, its the AI

Are you really sure AI shot its first bullet and hit your head??There must have been some shots before, that didn't hit you, or SuperAI was enabled.

Who says the AI aimed for your head? What if it aimed for your torso and the weapon spread the bullets?

Nope one shot, one splattered face, superAi was not on, i think its just fluke most of the time, but you get used to it and shoot them in their face before they do, unless you dont see them because they shhot you through hangers or 6 lots of shrubbs and bushes smile.gif

I dont have super AI enabled.

I cant be walking along a open part of countryside and the next thing is one shot in the head and I wait to see the camera zoom in on what killed me and its a russian soldier a long way away. They dont fire for ages but they seem to just aim and then fire one shot and Im dead. They must have steady arms to aim with iron sights at a head over 200m away and hit it whilst standing up.

yep the super AI is not enabled...

Is there some file what you can edit to change that range thing?

Sounds not good. Perhaps im playing to carefully to never get in such a situation, but if it's really like this: walking/1shot/dead/enemyrealfaraway and it happens to often...

I think this has to be corrected, too.

One last thought: Perhaps you use inoffical adddons, and one of them creates this effect? Make a last try, move them all to a backupdirectory an try this "walking over open field" thing again, a last time. Maybe it helps.

It said in the readme of resistance that in the campaign your soldiers get better the more they fight more experienced like....

so if you keep them alive they get better and better...

I managed to keep 12 men alive throughout most of the campaign smile.gif and everyman apart from my 2 medics had RPG Launchers

my medics had sniper rifels smile.gif

Doing it again for the third time just seeing alll different ways to do the campaign it's good

I don't like the 200 meter thing. I mean, it's a RIFLE. It can shoot accurately pretty far. SMGs hitting beyond 100 meters, THAT is not right, but people with rifles not shooting until they are within 200 meters...

I can kill a standing/walking guy at 400 with a m16/ak74 easily, and half a magazine and I can kill a running one. I know the civilians arn't that well trained, but US Marines are trained to hit at 500 meters out with their rifles. So how come the people in the game never shoot? The army can't be THAT bad. tounge.gif

tounge.gif

And i've read the Army is only trained to hit at ca. 100m. And there are only Army troops in OFP... *g*

I think they didn't want to make OFP a rambo like game. Sure you can shot and hit at 500m, but at a shotingrange your enemy doesn't shot back, or will be alerted after your first shot.

If you would make it like this (iron sight&500m) on a battlefield with more then 10 enemys in front of you...

In the end you are low on ammo and the surviving enemys

(i dont think you've got many: 4 mags, 0,5 mag/runningman = 8 deads under best circumstences.),

will now were you are and start hunting you.