Sign in to follow this  
sakura_chan

ArmA 2 C-130J and MV-22 Redux

As part of the Community Upgrade Project as well as a stand alone mod, I am fixing up the ArmA2 C-130J and the MV-22. Both of these models were very rough, but its easier to fix than to make a whole new model.

Features

----------

C-130J Super Hurcules

-------

-"unmirrored" the model. It now has unique left and right textures and geometry, enables correct liveries and camo patterns.

-reworked materials

-upgraded cockpit lighting

-arma 3 lights and collision lights

-includes layered .psd files and blank grey textures for easy repainting

-fixed 'wheels poking through the body'

-animated control sticks

-all new hud

c13001.jpg

c13002.jpg

c13003.jpg

c13004.jpg

c13005.jpg

MV-22 Osprey

---------------

-new cockpit glass material

-smoother body materials, originally it looked very harsh and scratched up

-slightly upgraded cockpit

-improved hover-mode maneuvering - A2 version was practically unusable. I would like the AI to be able to land it.

-includes layered .psd files and blank grey textures for easy repainting

-animated control sticks

-all new hud

-arma 3 lights and collision lights

I just started on the mv22, not much done to the textures yet

mv2201.jpg

mv2202.jpg

I plan on USMC, USAF, NATO and possibly more liveries. I would like to make the C-130J-30 at some point as well, and also versions with refueling drogues. As these are modified BIS models with modified BIS textures, everyone will be free to edit and modify it without permission.

Awesome to see these becoming part of the community upgrade project! Can't wait to get back in the Osprey's pilot seat again!

By improved hover control over the MV-22's hover abilities, wasn't the Arma 2 version the way it was because it was realistic? Wouldn't it make sense to keep the vehicle realistic?

Edited by ProGamer

These would be very nice additions to the Arma 3 world.

Thanks for your hard work!

7GVWWwBl.jpg

I still don't get how they managed to get this far and only hint at a transport plane with a wreck :/

Please ensure that the eject point is in a position so that the aircraft doesn't run over paratroopers when they eject. For me that's the most important function of the C-130J, so if that doesn't work correctly then it's a complete loss.

Excellent I'm looking forward to using these and in the future reworking them into a little side project :) any chance you could do the static version too?

I really could do with that and have been unable to find in which PBO it resides

Looks good but do the doors open on either aircraft?

Sweet! You should also try smoothing and remastering the textures to be at ArmA 3 quality. :)

Now THAT is an update! LOVE the cockpit lighting and how you added backlighting to all of the laser etchings, and its nice to finally see Arma 3's new lights used in a cockpit, to see how it looks with the specular and normal maps still present unlike Arma 2's. Can't wait to see the HUD and the Osprey upgraded inside.

Though shouldn't the interior light be more of a greenish blue?

http://asset0.cbsistatic.com/cnwk.1d/i/ne/p/2007/C130_007_550x367.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8364/8360235676_e5dea4c248_o.jpg

Edited by NodUnit

I'm in love now..slowly but surely this is becoming the game I love again..thanks Sakura_chan

Will your Addon have the angel of death flare system?

Edited by fullerpj

Though shouldn't the interior light be more of a greenish blue?

yes, but I've always loved the sinister red lighting of older C-130s and AC-130s. I might change it back.

Anyways, all the suggestions have been noted, and I will make sure it is fully walkable, jumpable, openable, and usable.

Sakura chan, Do you plan to modify the FLIR turret of the V-22 so we can have a PIP screen with the info of the turret and the copilot can control it with optics, thermal, NV, etc....?

• Like 1

yes, but I've always loved the sinister red lighting of older C-130s and AC-130s. I might change it back.

Anyways, all the suggestions have been noted, and I will make sure it is fully walkable, jumpable, openable, and usable.

Keep things open in the sense that if someone does crack the walkable moving vehicles issue, that it can be applied to your vehicles. You could have your sinister red and modern blue variants of the C-130 so then everyone's happy.

---------- Post added at 08:21 ---------- Previous post was at 08:21 ----------

Also do you plan to have the real life armed version of the MV-22 in addition to the unarmed variant? They recently got 360 degree mini guns mounted on the bottom and also have machine guns on the sides and on the rear that are manned by soldiers. The armed version is called the CV-22. More info on the weapon systems here: http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/video-bae-wins-cv-22-gun-contract-220905/ and another source: http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/baes-turret-to-trial-in-cv-22s-04618/

And what about the cockpit being interactive in light of Franze teaching us how he did it here: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?170122-Key-Interaction-Cockpit-Interaction-Tutorial&p=2578669#post2578669

Will the MV-22's "hell hole" be usable?

Edited by ProGamer

If you're feeling adventurous, perhaps add a small feature where the lighting can be changed from green to red or vice versa through a small hotkey on the keyboard or option in the action menu, or even an interactive switch on the dashboard?

I like the idea of the pilot able to turn the light from red to green for halo jumping. Sakura_chan check yours pms

Great work Sakura :ok:

and i agree in A2 the MV22 was so slow in hover mode , irl its much more faster and agile like any army helicopter

The armed version is called the CV-22.

Not exactly.

CV-22 is the USAF's variant of the V-22 tailored for special forces missions and was purchased as a replacement for their aging fleet of MH-53 Pavelows. It has extra fuel tanks and a great deal of extra sensor equipment. The MV-22 is the USMC's variant which was purchased to replace the CH-46E Sea Knight as a general utility aircraft. It does not have the CV-22's special equipment.

Installing an IDWS does not change the name of the aircraft: An MV-22 will not suddenly become a CV-22 when they slap a minigun on it, or vice versa.

That said I am super excited to see the Osprey returning, I've always had a soft spot for tilt-rotors.

The IDWS system would be a hassle to integrate. there was a mod for A2 that added it though, so I may look into porting that. The system itself has never been used in combat IRL (that I'm aware of), apparently the Osprey doesn't get too close to combat and the system was deemed a waste of carrying capacity. it was useful as a spotter platform though. I know everyone wants a 'rivet' level flight sim, but ArmA is just is the wrong place for that. For a plane, its performance and handling characteristics are controlled by only 4 lines of code. My aim is simply to provide a high quality, USABLE port, without a bunch of superfluous features that are largely unused and really only delay the release.

Excellent port. Hoping to see more A2CO content brought to another level.