Sign in to follow this  
JughedJones

Getting Started

I have no idea what's going on here.

I launched my probes, completed the first two achievements, and I can't figure out how to unlock any more lander components.

I understand the tech tree slides over, but I don't know what to research in order to unlock new stuff, or even what I'm supposed to do.

If there's a walk through to get me going, I couldn't find it. Please help, because I'd like to enjoy this game.

Thank you.

Hi, if you look to the left hand side of the tech tree, there is a list of items. Select the item you want to get and it highlights corresponding technologies required for the item to be unlocked.

Next, if you are looking for more missions, open the global objectives screen and mouse over one of them. To the right of the tooltip you will see which instruments are required for the specific objective.

Hope that helps!

hi

i have the same problem...

i finished the 2 terrain mapping missions

now it always says that i need new technologie

i saw that i e.g need the environmental analysis staion for the first climate misson...

i already researched some stuff in tech tree but nothing seems to be unlocked...

also if i mouseover the environmental analysis station it dont show anything that have to be researched for it...

2014_01_29_00002.jpg

Hello Atom-Atomic! If you want to know what technologies are required to research an item just click on the selected item in the left side menu and then slide (or use arrows on both sides) to move in tech tree from left to right. Required technologies will be highlighted. ;-)

hi

i always tried to klick at the arrow at the side (what didn't work) but i never had the idea to slide the tech tree...

i think they schould add a slide bar at the bottom of the tech tree..

ty for your help^^

In general, to get started is to do allot of cheap quick missions with probes.

This will earn you allot of extra cash.

All you need, is a power-source, a wide- or telecam, and the probe itself.

These are your starting rescoures anyway, so why not make the most out of them...no research needed at this point.

Each probe will cost you 52k, but the profits will be much greater.

I landed these exploration-probes on every location on Mars, and on Deimos...one mission-area can have 3-4 or even 5 spots to land one.

The probes will explore the area for you, just by landing and being there.

A camera isn't really needed, but without one, your vehicle can't launch, so go for that cheap stock cam.

Your goal must be to do every mission as cheap as possible.

If you build an expensive rover early at start, you'll run out of budget pretty soon.

So try to do the simple missions with simple vehicles >> probes.

When you've covered all these first missions, your map (the big one in the control room) will tell you that additional research is needed, before you can do more advanced missions.

Next (cheap) step will be, to go do environmental analisys in each area.

This can also be done with probes, but you'll need to research EAS first (don't go for the passive version, as it's allot more expensive).

Build a new probe, with power-source, cam, EAS, and the probe skeleton itself.

Each mission-area has 1 or more spots that require an EAS scan...to find them, click the mission-markers, and view mission-details.

Most if not all missions also have photo-tasks, but these can be done by rovers or landers, at a later stage (by going to the Mis-tab, and assigning any nearby open missions to that vehicle).

Point is that you'll get the big profit from doing an EAS scan (300k)....not to shabby, for a probe that has cost 77k (excl. research-costs).

Deimos can be tricky, though, due to it's low gravity force.

It can take quite a while for your probe to actually land and go stationary.

Next step will be to do photo-missions.

For these, you will need to research either landers, or rovers, as you need to have a way to move the camera's around.

But again, always try to go for the cheapest possible solution.

Just wanted to say this thread helped me a lot. I recently stumbled across this game, and have completely fallen in love with it, so the steep initial learning curve didn't so much frustrate me as drive me to keep trying to figure out how to get things done! (And eventually come hang out here and flip through things, and join the community) :)

Just wanted to say this thread helped me a lot. I recently stumbled across this game, and have completely fallen in love with it, so the steep initial learning curve didn't so much frustrate me as drive me to keep trying to figure out how to get things done! (And eventually come hang out here and flip through things, and join the community) :)

Glad to hear you like it and thank you for the support! :)

I'm a returner. I left TOM a years ago and now the new tech tree is a little bit difficult to me. These infos from this topic helped me a lot. Thanks! But there is a few more questions.

1. After the probes, I try to develop rovers, because landers always miss the target and I can move with rovers. So I have no too much money left (maybe for two missions), so I find a good mission (investment is 1400$ and I could earn 2500$) I launched the mission and could do every tasks (EAS), except the photos. I was going around the rocks and try take pictures (and I could a lot), but not all. And then I realized, the red rectangles said: COLOR and I have no color camera. Is it possible, game allow me to launch a rover without enough equipment to finish the (main) mission?

2. When mission said: PROBE, what I need from tech tree? I found two interesting spot (scoop and drill), but I don't remember well what I need for probe.

3. If I developed rovers and advanced tools for examine, I lost the easy and simple missions? So now I lost the easy, cheap missions, so I couldn't rise more money (eg. for develop a color camera)?

Hi Bardosy,

1) The missions will not let you launch a vehicle that cannot complete all MAJOR targets, so it is possible that the photo target was only minor.

2) There are 2 probes in the game - the initial vehicle (obnly one slot for an instrument and a camera) and the instrument 'soil probe'. The soil probe is to be mounted on a robotic arm to analyze soil. It is the precursor to the scoop, essentially.

3) No missions should be disappearing unless you've completed them. This means if you research advanced rovers, you should still have missions for the basic probe vehicle unless you've completed them.

Thank you Dram, very much!

1., Unfortunately the major task is not completed, because of photo missions, so I cannot grab the big money and the mission is currently deficit. What does the COLOR and FAR scribe is meaning in the corner of photo rectangles? Eg: FAR mean I have to go more far to take picture, or I'm too far to take picture?

2. Thanks. So I have to develop scoop to missions with task 'probe'.

3. Thanks! Probably I just finished all the easy missions... ;)

No problem, glad to help :)

1. Unfortunately the major task is not completed, because of photo missions, so I cannot grab the big money and the mission is currently deficit. What does the COLOR and FAR scribe is meaning in the corner of photo rectangles? Eg: FAR mean I have to go more far to take picture, or I'm too far to take picture?

COLOR means you need to use a color camera to take the picture. FAR means you are too far away from the targets and either need to move closer, or zoom in (if the camera can zoom).

2. Thanks. So I have to develop scoop to missions with task 'probe'.

You can do that, but you're better off researching the soil probe instrument (it is before the scoop, so it is easier to get).

Quick one from me:

Starting from scratch after coming back. 7/10 done on atmosphere learning the climate ect on the first one, however I have no place left to send the probes, at least no grey circular areas, not sure what to do next......

Quick one from me:

Starting from scratch after coming back. 7/10 done on atmosphere learning the climate ect on the first one, however I have no place left to send the probes, at least no grey circular areas, not sure what to do next......

Have you checked Deimos? You can launch probes at it.

Yeah Deimos is all done and its optional obj as well