.kju

Community Upgrade Project

I want to showcase some of the things that I have been working on for CUP.

As you know, CUP is not about doing straight ports, but upgrading the Arma 2 content to Arma 3 standards, including things like PhysX for vehicles, proper lights, position lights, variable muzzle flashes, etc.

As an example, here's the commander of the M1 Abrams, with his hands on the gun handle:

UIUAnSZs.jpg

Brass ejection on all guns, variable muzzle flashes, gun smoke (Chinook, AAVP7A1, AH-64D):

ukDKF7ms.jpg M2InTD7s.jpg 3nI7Vzjs.jpg

Headlights, position lights, tail lights, brake lights, reverse lights and volumetric light cones (AAVP7A1, AH-64D Apache, and SUV):

2JZpbkvs.jpg0XP7hrUs.jpg 35kcBG1s.jpg cdN3EzIs.jpg

Exhausts, dust (AAVP7A1):

aG4ufg3s.jpg pvIRGNKs.jpg

Edited by Varanon
Sigh... they are called BRAKE lights, not BREAK lights

Some improvements on some models: Variable loadout of AH-64D:

B3Npf0xs.jpg ICW2TEbs.jpg vNb1Adws.jpg M2JfQmIs.jpg 4gudGfys.jpg

Rocket pods with ammo disappearing:

rRaKwYqs.jpg

More can be found on my Steam profile's screenshot page

Fantastic work there Varanon! The devil is in the details in any addon, great to have all these important upgrades. Keep at it! :)

There are finally releases incoming with top notch work by members of the CUP team.

We are still very much looking for dedicated people to help port vehicles and infantry

(configs, models, rvmat) or contributions of already ported work. :bounce3:

Motivated people to help with organization, communication and promotion are also most welcome. :)

Be aware every little assistance will help - you don't have to invest much time into this initiative.

Edited by .kju [PvPscene]

I know you guys had bee doing some decoding stuff but I forget, how many addons are being released? Before you guys said you were doing like 1 thing per addon but did it get changed?

Like is it packs, one big,addon, etc etc ?

@ MikeTim

Technically most assets can be packed as standalone addon. However some have a dependency to base_configs.

cant remember if this has been asked yet...

is CUP a mod alone or does it contribute in different areas? if that makes sense i.e. AIA terrain, AIA vehicle pack?, etc

The CUP project's aim is to alleviate the requirement for compatibility mods, and to give all mission makers/modders all the assets and many features from Arma 1 and 2 with all of the Arma 3 functionality and improvements fully implemented.

There are many modders of varied focus working on the project, and this can even simply be a matter of advising, or providing source files.

In many cases, the A1/A2 content being forwarded into A3 by CUP is vastly superior to the default content. One example would be the A1 buildings that M1lkm8n did for SMD Sahrani, there are not only many new enterable buildings with features like animated doors, shutters, and shattering glass; but also many previously enterable buildings have been given these features. So, you end up with vastly improved play environment... noticing a broken window, or open (or closed) door or shutter on a building could mean the difference between life or death. Another fine example of this would be Fabiano's stunning lighting and environment improvements. I'm not fully familiar with all the who's and how's and what's... but there's a really passionate crew working on improving every aspect of the A1/A2 stuff and getting it fully functioning in A3 for ALL to enjoy and take advantage of.

As you might be able to tell by the duration between the last bump, we could use some assistance in the promotions area, and could ALWAYS use more folks working or contributing, it's a VERY ambitious project to say the least.

I've discussed it briefly with kju, and we both think it is a fairly good idea to integrate the project with my Armaversity project. What I will do is tailor the tutorials for completing @CUP work using the Public Data Release files. This will provide anyone interested in joining a good guide to get started!

I'm trying to triage now in order to determine how best to consolidate the effort, so hopefully I'll have a plan, and then a few tutorials aimed at modding for CUP by the end of the this week or next.

A few updates from me: Been working on updating some of the older models (M1 and Chinook), and working on new stuff (BTR-90 and BTR-90 HQ):

(Click the pictures for larger versions)

Updated light cones on the M1

ALQAa2jl.jpg

Chinook update with sling loading capacity:

PvkBgmRl.jpg

BTR-90:

JIybG5Kl.jpg uLX0Jrvl.jpg

BTR-90 turret mounted searchlights:

Q8GhLt2l.jpg

PIP periscopes inside the BTR-90:

w3KBRmEl.jpg

BTR-90 HQ with extended antenna:

VWETqd1l.jpg

Edited by Varanon

Awesome job! I'm looking forward to it...

I suppose that at some point or the other Arma 2 units will be ported as well. Will the Russian faction units will have Russian voices?

Yeah, we'll also convert the voices at one point

I'm pleased to say that I think I've come up with a plan for how to best move forward personally.

I will essentially continue all the SMD work forward under the CUP prefix. There is no point in doing 80 percent of the same work 1st for the sole interest of Sahrani, when doing the same work for CUP benefits more people, and can be more easily applied to more terrains.

I have begun writing some tutorials on the work that I am doing (both the process of forwarding A1/A2 buildings and misc objects to A3, and building interiors for previously unenterable buildings) and have gotten confirmation from some other members they will document their processes and I will then create additional tutorials for the various focus'. I have worked with all the various assets to one degree or another in Arma 2, but am not fluent in A3 modding yet in any area other than the buildings/objects.

IF we get more people working on buildings, then I can focus on making customized versions of all the A1/A2 terrains as M1lkm8n did for SMD Sahrani. With the number of buildings that should swap directly into other terrains, I think it would be better to focus on the buildings if we do not get any assistance making more, but I'm hoping that with the tutorials and a little more promotion... more folks will want to join the effort.

Big, community projects like these are VERY difficult to keep together and see through to the end, and I'm ready for the long haul personally. But the more the community does to help it along and encourage it, the better... The more folks who take the dive into modding THE BETTER!

This is a very unique opportunity to learn from some of the most knowledgeable and experienced modders in Arma. I've always found folks willing to help and share, but in this case, there is additional motivation for the guys "in the know" to help new guys along so that they can help bear the burden... this is a COLOSSAL undertaking.

It has every opportunity to bring forth features, content, functions, and landscapes that no other mod, or even Bohemia themselves could produce in an equal timespan.

THIS, truly is one of those "I'm going to do everything" mods that everyone immediately dismisses and derides... only this one is happening, for real, for fun, for the love of the game and franchise, and it's being done by, and contributed to by, some of the best, most talented folks around...

GET ON THE HYPE TRAIN PEOPLE!!!

UBUcfDal.jpg

Here's an update from me for now.

I have three weapons left (one SCAR, the Stinger and the SMAW), then I will have converted all of the weapons from Arma 2, Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead, Arma 2: British Armed Forces and Arma 2: Private Military Company. In the meantime, Kllrt has converted most of the Arma 2: Army of the Czech Republic DLC. That then completes the first stage of weapon porting. This first stage consisted of porting the weapons, making them compatible to Arma 3, separate out the attachments, etc. We have not yet added things like fire selector switches, custom animations, or 3D scopes, that will come later. Right now, however, you can recreate every thing configuration of weapon in Arma 2 and its DLC's, plus of course new ones (like an AKM with Kobra Sight). Some of the weapons have been modified, or new variants added. For example, there are now extra versions of the Mk16 and M17 that haven't been in the original game; for the Mk16, for example, there are four short barrel versions (plain, with fore grip, with surefire flashlight foregrip, with EGLM) and the same versions for standard barrel. There is now also a Mk16 DMR variant with an 18" barrel and bipod that never was in Arma 2.

Weapons and Launchers are no copies of Arma 3 variants. The NLAW for example is a completely stand-alone config class, not just another model of the PCML.Most weapons have silencers, and whereever possible the weapons have all weapon slots, even if no silencer was added for the weapon.

So, here are a few pictures. Click them for larger versions.

RwRU2mYl.jpg

(Yeah, they are all full. From right to left, ammo crates from BAF, USMC, US ARMY, Russa and Takistan. In the background, NAPA, Guerillas, ACR, Germany)

nPsCzdnl.jpg

Real Brits use an L85A2

7pAAsxll.jpg

Real Americans use M4's and M16's

aBqm6U2l.jpg

MAAWS and M16. Where applicable, the launcher's scope can be removed.

qRcYgv1l.jpg

Real Guerrillas use AK's. And PKM's. And SVD's

g2Am27il.jpg

Proper way to fight infidels

dgKxIyml.jpg

The new Mk16 Mod 0 SV marksman variant

(Part Two)

8m8QlEnl.jpg

GL Sights flip up when used, and have proper zeroing from 50 to 400 meters.

Vwzhb6kl.jpg

Mk16 Mod 0 (shown here with FHQ Acessories. All CUP Weapons use ASDG Joint Rails for attachments

SVw9fkCl.jpg

M110 now with silencer

FYC4aKBl.jpg

Glock 17 pistol. I separated the flashlight module out and made it an attachment.

LQ0plJHl.jpg

PKM, a real man's machine gun

Are all ironsights the same as in A2?

Specifically curious about the RPG-7 myself, as it seems to never really be done properly.

That´s a Titanic job Alwarren! Thanks a lot for the detailed work, CUP is indeed the greatest initiative for this community!

cheers!