DarkDruid

UAVs: Feedback and wishes

With this in mind, can I kill an enemy who is currently connected to a UAV and use the terminal to control an enemy drone?

No, you can't do it. You are able to use only terminal of your side.

That UAV is still connected to a Terminal in inventory of your previous unit. If you find your body and take its UAV Terminal, you can control that UAV. There can be only one Terminal connected at once and because that UAV is still connected to some Terminal, you are not able to connect it.

Okay, makes sense. But sometimes the "old uav terminal" as well as the body is removed from the game by respawn-save-loadout functions. Is it possible to re-apply the "new uav terminal" to the UAV module again?

Legislator;2560109']Okay' date=' makes sense. But sometimes the "old uav terminal" as well as the body is removed from the game by respawn-save-loadout functions. Is it possible to re-apply the "new uav terminal" to the UAV module again?[/quote']

It depends on that function. If the body is deleted (= connected terminal doesn't exist anymore), then you are able to connect that UAV again. If the body is only hidden (= the terminal item still exists), then you can't connect that UAV. It is usual to delete death bodies, because hidden bodies have negative impact on performance. But final solution is on author of that function.

I would like to have the possibility to disable Thermal Vision on UGV/UAV (with disableTIEquipment command) and keep only Night Vision.

At the moment disableTIEquipment command disables Thermal Vision AND Night Vision on UGVs/UAVs (Darter, GreyHawk, Static Autonomous MG/GL, Stomper UGV, etc).

I think this can help maintain the UAVs/UGVs in a PVP mission without breaking the gameplay because of the 'God Mode' provided by Thermal Vision.

Other point:

I created a Stomper UGV during night time and I couldn't find any way to shut off the lights. There is no combat mode I can set for the Stomper (like Stealth Mode for infantry) so they can turn off the lights.

Edited by d3nn16

I would REALLY like to be able to use the Turret on the Greyhawk. Right now the stupid AI keeps flying in circles and wont stay still to lase a target from the turret. Damn thing starts doing figure 8's.

I created a Stomper UGV during night time and I couldn't find any way to shut off the lights.

This is really annoying having an "unmanned" vehicle which refuses to turn off either lights or engine. Makes stealth impossible.

setBehaviour doesn't change anything and setHit doesn't destroy the lights on the UGV either.

Please fix it.

I would REALLY like to be able to use the Turret on the Greyhawk. Right now the stupid AI keeps flying in circles and wont stay still to lase a target from the turret. Damn thing starts doing figure 8's.

Yes! Please! This!

I would like to see a more survivable UAV - a stealthy UCAV like the X45c, X47B, NeuroN, Filur or Taranis

(new images today: http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,21412.msg211400.html?PHPSESSID=fr9avu3ukv4859nk4tsbaligp6#new)

with two bombs like the GBU31. At the moment I use the GBU31 from the great F18 attached to the Swedish Forces Pack UCAV

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Uwm8AEpNkms/Uld1dNDC8OI/AAAAAAAAS44/8CRA7NN9pXI/s1600/arma3_swedish_forces_mod_ucav23.jpg .

As the UAV´s leave the altitude of 2000 m when they attack they are easily killed. It would be great to have a stealthy UAV or at least let them stick to the defined height.

It would be great to have a bigger Bomb than the 500lb´s we had for so long. Why not make an air bursting bomb increasing the damage radius and avoiding the problem of rendering a crater at the same time?

I would also like to see other unmanned classes for ship, diver and mine detection on or below the water level:

Blackfish unmanned surface vehicle

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2017655/Blackfish-The-robotic-jet-ski-underwater-patrolling-harbours-terrorists.html

Autonomous underwater vehicles like the Scion´s patrolling underwater robot published in Michael Welham´s book Combat Frogmen that could slowly patrol or sit silently on a "landing gear" on the bottom of the sea and when a target was detected by sonar attack divers, submarines or ships driven by waterjet up to 50kn and ramming into the target. It would be great to use the heat haze effect we have in Arma 3 for a waterjet.

Those two new unmanned classes would enable a new field of addons for the armaverse

Edited by wolf359

Did anything get worked on? I noticed the camera now sorta stabilizes (still bouncy and jittery though) and "locks" when you aim at something and stop moving the view around.

Did anything get worked on? I noticed the camera now sorta stabilizes (still bouncy and jittery though) and "locks" when you aim at something and stop moving the view around.

Yes, we are working on UAVs. Some features/bugs were picked up from this discussion, some are based on your feedback on Feedback Tracker. Anyway, this is not the final state. We are still working on UAVs and some other changes should be presented soon.

All changes are mentioned in development branch changelog: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?149636-Development-Branch-Changelog

Changes related to UAVs made in January and February (picked up from that above mentioned changelog):

• Darter doesn't have FAKs anymore (http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=13089)
  • Fixed: UGV_01 has different texture for body and turret
  • Fixed: UGV will not progress to next waypoint when controlling turret
  • Fixed: Commanding is not accessible in direct control of UAV
  • Fixed: Radio is not accessible in direct control of UAV
  • Fixed: [uAV] Being renegade after crashing Greyhawk
  • New parameter killFriendlyExpCoef set. Player shouldn't be killed by friendly units after destruction of one UAV when controlling it.
  • FIX: Darter has been adjusted to withstand assembly even inside houses
  • Airplane does not takeOff just because player took control (UAV)
  • RscAVCamera is able to display UAV camera feed
  • Added possibility for only one PiP in UAV view (primary from gunner position)
  • Darter is able to rotate better on spot (configured backRotorForceCoef)
  • AV Camera - Can't be invoked after releasing AV controls as a gunner

Will we ever see at least different UAV's for the three main factions? Like a Predator for Bluefor and a worse GlobalHawk for the AAF. At the moment I dont know whether an UAV in the air is friendly or not.

The rotation speed of the darter could become even more faster, radiocontrolled quadrocopters are very agile aircrafts.

What I also would like to see is a scouting underwater drone. Just a small submarine with a camera would be nice, like some kind of research submarine.

But all in all I really like the current state of the autonomous vehicles.

One last thing: The autostabilisation of the turret of the UAV's works fine - until you move your mouse. Even a small movement of your mouse will stop the stabilisation until you stop moving, which can be difficult to use.

Fixed wing UAVs are nearly useless for their intended real life purpose - to loiter above an area and fire missiles at them.

Since only the pilot has control of ATGMs and he must strafe at a target to take it out.

I made a ticket about it a long time ago (http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=12865), assigned 6 months ago and hasn't changed..

Oh yeah, it should not be that hard to make a laser guided missile that follows the crosshair of the gunner - because something like that already exists with the tow-like titan-launcher mode.

I don't know what the dev's are doing, but this seems to be extremely easy to fix.

I was having a quick play with UAVs this morning. I found that when I disconnected the terminal from the UGV I couldn't reconnect to it or any other UAV for my side. Not only that, but the UGV also started to attack me. I am on the stable branch 1.10. Is this a bug or is it just that they don't like me?

The Greyhawk and Kababil (Fixed wing UAS) drop to 50m before firing the missile. You guys (Devs) wouldn't even have to fix this if you gave the gunner control of the weapons systems, just like in the attack helicopters. And if for some reason (You really wouldn't) the pilot needed to fire, just have manual fire like in the attack helicopters. I've made a ticket on the first part, but this really wouldn't be a problem if you just gave the turret control of the weapons. The UAV would just fly where you told it, and the gunner would fire the missiles when it had a target. Simple.

^^ Exactly what I was thinking.

I'd also like to see the possibility of two operators. One flying, one managing the weapons and sensor.

The sensors are also hard to control (on al aircraft). Its like they geographically stabilise but as soon as you move the mouse it destabilises for a second.

(Off topic. I know)

[quote=DarkDruid;2633309

[*]Fixed: [uAV] Being renegade after crashing Greyhawk

Does this mean no more Skynetâ„¢?

Right now, it's possible to simply take over full control of any AV unless it's controlled by someone else. I'd like to see a possibility to allow restrictions on AVs via scripting: Ticket.

For example, it would be nice to restrict the player control to just the gunner position. Or make certain UAVs not accessible by all terminals (in Aram2, it was possible to link the UAV to an item that controlled it).

And my personal pet peeve is the fact that AV's will ALWAYS behave like normal soldiers and go into danger mode, attack on their own accord, etc... you can't place a darter somewhere, laser mark a target, then switch to another UAV and shoot a missile at the laser target because the darter has already moved on and tries to engage an enemy without weapons.

I got all excited when I read that they have made changes to the UAV's thining the greyhawk would finally be useful. But it seems they have ignored this ticket http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=12865

It is not ignored, it is just not done yet. Some changes related to this ticket are in our plans, but I can't be more specific right now.

Does this mean no more Skynetâ„¢?

Attacking of you by your own side (which includes even active UAVs which belong to your side) is based on very low rating score (can be checked via script command rating). If you destroy something which belongs to your side (a vehicle, an UAV, other soldier), you get negative rating points. We have lowered amount of negative points given to you for destruction of UAV/UGV, so you won't be attacked by your own side after one destroyed vehicle. But be aware, that there is difference between destruction of UAV by crashing it as a driver and shooting at your own UAV. You get far more negative points for destruction of your own UAV by shooting.

For example, it would be nice to restrict the player control to just the gunner position. Or make certain UAVs not accessible by all terminals (in Aram2, it was possible to link the UAV to an item that controlled it).

Something similar is already in our plans. :)

There is a new feature in UAV system - AV Camera. You are able to see visual transmission from your UAV/UGV without need of opened Terminal. You just need to set shortcut in controls (Configure > Controls > Keyboard > Common > AV Camera) and you should be able to use this new feature.

This feature is available only in dev branch so far and it is still WIP. We know about some issues (missing ability to lock turret) and we are working on it. Your feedback and bug reports related to AV Camera are welcome.

BiHzkSNCYAA2hE-.jpg

Could you put it in the action menu ( I mean addAction -> AV Camera) ?

There is a new feature in UAV system - AV Camera. You are able to see visual transmission from your UAV/UGV without need of opened Terminal. You just need to set shortcut in controls (Configure > Controls > Keyboard > Common > AV Camera) and you should be able to use this new feature.

This feature is available only in dev branch so far and it is still WIP. We know about some issues (missing ability to lock turret) and we are working on it. Your feedback and bug reports related to AV Camera are welcome.

Any way to enable\disable this display through a script?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BiHzkSNCYAA2hE-.jpg

Wow, that is pretty cool.