Sign in to follow this  
Tontow

CC V. 1.07 : Modding how to?

OK, so we finally get to change and add items and weapons with this last patch. This is good.

They gave us an example, But....

Once again we are left with a shear lack of documentation on what is what. IE: Here is your cake, good luck trying to find out how to eat it because we sure don't have the time to tell you how or even what kind of cake it is to start with.

Thus once again leaving the (sadly) almost non-existent mod community scratching there head with one hand while (at the same time) trying to pull said head out of there rear with the other.

Could we please get someone to go through the wiki or even make a separate tutorial on what is what when moding carrier command? Especially with the new stuff that was released in 1.07.

It is a joke that we as modders have to study the code for hours on end to even begin to understand where to start to change a single thing, but alas, the community appears to be too small to warrant any documentation of that level.

Side note to Devs: I still have faith in your ability to make this game into everything that was promised and more, but this cake is a lie policy has got to stop. (The cake is there, but it is a metal cake, and you can't have it or even eat it.) I believe in you guys and that you have it in you to do so much better.

OK, so we finally get to change and add items and weapons with this last patch. This is good.

They gave us an example, But....

Once again we are left with a shear lack of documentation on what is what. IE: Here is your cake, good luck trying to find out how to eat it because we sure don't have the time to tell you how or even what kind of cake it is to start with.

Thus once again leaving the (sadly) almost non-existent mod community scratching there head with one hand while (at the same time) trying to pull said head out of there rear with the other.

Could we please get someone to go through the wiki or even make a separate tutorial on what is what when moding carrier command? Especially with the new stuff that was released in 1.07.

It is a joke that we as modders have to study the code for hours on end to even begin to understand where to start to change a single thing, but alas, the community appears to be too small to warrant any documentation of that level.

Side note to Devs: I still have faith in your ability to make this game into everything that was promised and more, but this cake is a lie policy has got to stop. (The cake is there, but it is a metal cake, and you can't have it or even eat it.) I believe in you guys and that you have it in you to do so much better.

I'm glad to hear you have faith in the developers that so far have failed to fix certain bugs in their own game, compared to modders like Species and others who fixed these bugs in the game in a very short time (such as the instant jumping of the carrier direction from manual control to autopilot for example).

As you can probably tell, my faith is draining away :annoy:

Thanks. The carrier rotation fix was discovered by gnrl_grad who kindly worked with me to improve it and make it suitable for both our mods. It's not a perfect solution, it's more of a workaround than a fix, but better than none. Ideally they would just fix it properly.

As much as I looked forward to this game, and my enthusiasm for what was supposed to happen with it, after dealing with the harsh reality of Carrier Command - it amazes me that individuals such as yourselves, in a community (as small and disappearing as it is) can have such a bearing on a single program developed by so many professional people, and deliver genuine improvements.

Looking at everything that went wrong with this game is nearly heartbreaking. It could have been so good.

Instead - we have a mediocre plopmush of good bits and bad bits. It should of course have been all good bits! But no, of course we needed FPS sections to "engage and imaginate" and an unkillable enemy carrier to "drive forward a believable story".

A sorry mess indeed.

OK, back on topic: Can we get someone to explain what each bit is and how to use it?

A list of function calls to the main .exe would be a nice start. (The stuff we can't edit like adding a text to the middle of the screen or telling the game to spawn item at x,y,z location)

An explanation to all the new mod stuff that comes with 1.07

An in-depth explanation of workbench (A step by step tutorial on how to create a working island with all the bells and whistles and an explanation on what all the bells and whistles do)

I'm still trying to get Unpack_CGM to unpack the game files so I can attempt modding. I keep getting a "Bad Args" error

I'm still trying to get Unpack_CGM to unpack the game files so I can attempt modding. I keep getting a "Bad Args" error

Could you post a screenshot of your error?

What Windows do your use? Admin mode?

Steam or normal version?

Please give us a few more informations.

For me, it's working without any hassle (Win7 64bit, admin mode, normal version, patch 1.70025). Just doubbleclick, black window opens, many hundred rows fly by, everything ok.

If I recall, there are 2 programs used to unpack the game. One was from the developers (see the news forum) and the other was made by a user. I forget where the user made one was...