Sign in to follow this  
iconoclastdx

How does one find/browse all of the sounds in ARMA?

Sorry. I know this must have has been answered but I am having trouble finding it. I am NOT interested in adding custom sounds to my missions. I just was to play the stock sounds with "say" or "playsound". However I'm not sure how to find the sound or reference them in the command. Must you declare stock sounds in CfgSound? Thanks again.

Unpbo the addons.

For example in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Arma 3\Addons

Look for the pbo called sounds_f.pbo and un-pbo it.

I did that and placed the unpbo folder in D:\ so my link to a medic shout is :- D:\sounds_f\a3\sounds_f\characters\human-sfx\Person0\P0_moan_19_words.wss

all playsound3d needs is the "a3\sounds_f\characters\human-sfx\Person0\P0_moan_19_words.wss"

Hope that helps

Could always look into the cfg viewer.

can you listen to them from the config viewer ?

No. It was only a suggestion.

Regards,

Iceman77

you can script it, but like iceman said, no from the config itself (although that would be a nice improvement)

personally i used this when wanted to hear the spoken words and phrases (although some are dependent on variables and don't play, or last i ran it...look up BIKB & kbTell in the A3 Wiki for more about the conversation system). can't find my working code for playback (again, BIKB, and im not about to post any of that!) so theres roughly this:

_cfg = configfile >> "RadioProtocolENG" >> "Words" >> "Normal";
for "_i" from 0 to (count _cfg)-1 do
{
_word = configName(_cfg select _i);
player say _word;
hintSilent _word;
sleep 3;
};

...and patience : )

you can script it, but like iceman said, no from the config itself (although that would be a nice improvement)

personally i used this when wanted to hear the spoken words and phrases (although some are dependent on variables and don't play, or last i ran it...look up BIKB & kbTell in the A3 Wiki for more about the conversation system). can't find my working code for playback (again, BIKB, and im not about to post any of that!) so theres roughly this:

{
player say _word;
hintSilent _word;
sleep 3;
};

I totally just stole this snippet :o. Thanks for sharing, this could be very useful.

Yer nice snipet.

Alot neater than unpboing all the addons like I did :)

Thanks for the suggestions. I understand that i need to unpack the .pbo(s) to listen to the files outside of ARMA (though I have no idea what format they are in but I'll figure that out later). However, if I'm reading this correctly, to use a stock sounds in a my mission I must extract the sound from the pbo, put the sound file in my mission folder and declare it in the description??? Or can any of these steps be omitted?? Thanks again!

I'm surprised at how little SFXs are available in A3 compared to previous games.

{
player say _word;
hintSilent _word;
sleep 3;
};

Don't stop there. Now you can build a Dialog with a list box and populate it with all the sounds. Then when you select it, it will play the sample?

Thanks for the suggestions. I understand that i need to unpack the .pbo(s) to listen to the files outside of ARMA (though I have no idea what format they are in but I'll figure that out later). However, if I'm reading this correctly, to use a stock sounds in a my mission I must extract the sound from the pbo, put the sound file in my mission folder and declare it in the description??? Or can any of these steps be omitted?? Thanks again!

no copy necessary (frowned upon). just use the name thats in the config. most of the commands support it, like 'say'. extracting the pbo is just for easy browsing what the game otherwise lists internally. you could define the sounds in description.ext (read every page on the wiki you can, will help)

Ed, if i find some time, sure

I'm surprised at how little SFXs are available in A3 compared to previous games.

In theory, you could copy them out of the previous versions and use them in your mission.

no copy necessary (frowned upon). just use the name thats in the config. most of the commands support it, like 'say'. extracting the pbo is just for easy browsing what the game otherwise lists internally. you could define the sounds in description.ext (read every page on the wiki you can, will help)

Well I found the sounds I was looking for but I'm not sure how to call them since I couldn't find them in the config viewer (I assumed you meant the config viewer) and the vast majority of the sounds there dont even have a "name=" line anyway. So I think I'm just going to add the stock sounds back into my mission as custom sounds since I can find info on how to do that.