Sign in to follow this  
Robertqx

Make / Add local vegetation to your own Ghillie Suit? And cut grass / branches?

I think a neat feature to add would be the ability to add local grass / bushes / vegetation to your own ghillie suit. Real snipers do this and it may not be terribly difficult to implement. I think it would be awesome to set up in a cluster of bushes, for example, and be able to add twigs / grass to your ghillie suit to blend in more effectively.

Also, real snipers (or anyone) are able to cut grass / branches to clear line of sight to a target ... we should have the option of having a knife / implement to cut away vegetation to clear grass if necessary. Most likely not hard to implement and much more realistic.

Not sure how hard it would be to implement all of that. I think something that would be easy is to make some sort of function where you can "reach in front of you" and knock down some of the grass, rather than having to crawl around on it to get it to go down. I also notice that it doesn't stay down very long, either...maybe increase that amount of time.

The idea is stupid. There is no grass at the distance. And because even highres-textures get blurry at flater angles at greater ranges, the most "effective" thing to do would be to use a blurry suit with no sharp edges, where the colours are a bit darker then usual, cause the lighning at higher distances doesnt effect the ground in the same way as the 3d-objects.

While I don't think the idea is 'stupid', I think sometimes people get way too specific in their feature requests. This is the sort of thing you would maybe see in a game that was centred around being a sniper. The scope of the game is far too large to expand upon every facet of its gameplay.

It's true though that this feature would be pretty redundant, what with the way the engine handles grass and lighting, as wiresnsnakes noted above.

Where we are at it: I really would like a suit that gets blurry at high distances. If you cant make the distant environment detailed, make the 3d objects undetailed.

The game would still look outdated through scopes in comparsion, but the harsh contrasts between environment and units would be gone.

Gameplaywise that would be an emprovement at least. http://forums.bistudio.com/images/smilies/smile.png

Otherwise the previous poster is right, there are several things that are pretty important to fix and many things requested are secondary or even irrelevant.

The idea is stupid. There is no grass at the distance. And because even highres-textures get blurry at flater angles at greater ranges, the most "effective" thing to do would be to use a blurry suit with no sharp edges, where the colours are a bit darker then usual, cause the lighning at higher distances doesnt effect the ground in the same way as the 3d-objects.

You may want to check your spelling before you start with the "stupid" comments. For example, "affect" is the correct term to use in your sentence: "...cause (apostrophe) the lighning (spelling) at higher distances doesnt (apostrophe) effect (affect) the ground..."

Anyway, I think at the least the ability to remove foliage would be very helpful and not overly specific. This is a simulation game, right? You shouldn't have to move your position as a sniper because a few blades of grass or twigs are obstructing your view. Also, adding foliage to your ghillie suit would add to the realism and may help in closer distances regardless of what the engine does at longer distances.