Sign in to follow this  
ange1u5

[MP/RC] - The Great Altis Highway Race

race1a_zps704e2b4f.jpg

The Great Altis Highway Race - Kavala to Molos v1.5 - By Angel

Welcome to the Great Altis Highway Race. In this mission you have but one objective: Starting just south of the major city of Kavala, you will race along the main highway road of Altis all the way to the small town of Molos in the far north-east of the country - a distance of almost 32km! - using the fastest cars in Arma 3, the Civilian Hatchback Sport. First one there wins!

This is a Multiplayer mission only! There are no AI to race against, so you need at least one other person in order play. You can race with up to 13 other players plus 4 civilian observer slots for anyone wishing to document a race from above. There are no rules beyond getting to the end of the race, so its up to you to decide how you want to do it!

Features:

* - Choose what kind of weather and time of the day you wish to race in. Do you dare race at night in the fog? (Default is Clear)

* - Several Checkpoints will be along the route where players may respawn (once passed) and get new cars if they trash their last one!

* - Players can repair their car if they damage it. And trust me you will damage it! However your top speed is affected by the damage and you may not be able to go as fast as you could before. A finite supply of new cars can be obtained at any Checkpoint to restore your maximum speed of 326km/h!

* - Civilian traffic can be expected along the highway, possibly around that next corner... (can be disabled)

* - Players locked to first person whilst driving (can be disabled).

* - OPFOR Helicopters: Want to spice the mission up? In the setup parameters, why don't you enable these OPFOR controlled AH-9 helicopters. They don't like racers and will attempt to chase and destroy any they see! (disabled by default)

Hopes for the Future:

It is my hope I can make multiple versions of the course within the same mission. If I can pull this off, you can expect to see several choices of course along the Highway to race upon, giving the mission alot of extra replayability!

I'm always willing to hear of any suggestions you may have, so don't hesitate to leave a comment or start a discussion! =)

Please also help keep the mission stable and report any bugs, glitches or problems to me!

Many thanks and I hope you all enjoy the mission =)

Additional Credits:

Lala: Author of the Repair script as well as being a huge help with the coding in general, allowing me to put out features I've wanted for a while but didn't know how to do!

Kylania: Author of the checkpoint respawn script.

Other Scripts used:

Random Weather v0.9 Script by Meatball

Player Markers v2.6 Script by aeroson

Download Links:

Steam Workshop

Armaholic Mirror

Dropbox

Videos:

(captured in v1.3 of the mission)

(captured in v1.3 of the mission)

Screenshots:

Screenshot 1

Screenshot 2

Screenshot 3

Screenshot 4

Screenshot 5

Screenshot 6

Screenshot 7

Edited by ange1u5
Version Update

My group have had a great deal of fun with this race. We played it extensively and helped ange1u5 test it. I'd recommend no less than 3 players, though that said just solo driving is fun too. It worked fine both hosting on a player's machine or on my dedicated server.

I'm getting an error about a bad link to a static object. I can load the mission locally, but it won't run on a dedicated server.

Would be good to have an AI version (where the AI are not aware of any other vehicle - so they don't slow down or swerve) of this. Possible?

Not possible, AI wasn't designed to race in A3 :P

Anyway, mission updated to v1.4, change notes below:

[NEW]: Added two startup parameters when you first host the mission (Select Parameter at the top right in lobby):

Set Weather (random weather script by Meatball): Select from clear, overcast, rain, fog or random - Default setting is Random!

Set Time: Set what time of the day you wish to race in - Default setting 10am.

[NEW]: Barriers put in place at a couple of sharp turns where players would tend to go off course without realising. Instead of just sailing through, you will instead likely end up crashing and exploding at high speed =D

[REMOVED]: Changing to night time via the laptop at the start of the race. Redundant with the new startup parameter.

[FIXED]: Respawn system finally working again as intended. You will once again respawn at the appropriate checkpoint as each player passes it.

Edited by ange1u5

New version release:

v1.5 Changelog

New Features:

* - OPFOR controlled AH-9 attack helicopters have been added in! Though this feature is disabled by default (see parameters), I felt some extra incentive to drive fast would help spice the mission up a bit. They are spawned around the course and will attack and chase any racer they see. There's only four of them, so don't worry about being swarmed by them. Remember at top speeds your car can easily outrun the AH-9.

* - Parameter added to enable/disable the OPFOR controlled AH-9 attack helicopters. (Disabled by default)

* - Parameter added to enable/disable all civilian traffic (Enabled by default)

* - Parameter added which locks the player to first person only in a vehicle (Enabled by default)

* - New repair script added.

* - Parameter added which modifies the repair variable to your car. Each variable will affect the maximum top speed of your car should you damage and then have to repair it.

Other changes:

* - Player Limit increased from 10 to 14 race slots.

* - Additional starting weather parameters, changed Fog and split it into Light, Moderate or Dense Fog. Good luck racing in dense fog =D

* - Default starting weather changed from Random to Clear. Though i'd prefer to keep it on random, some people may not be prepared for dense fog racing on their first time =D

* - All lights that spawn for night time racing have been reworked. Checkpoints should look alot prettier and far better lit now, orange glow from warning flags is better and several red lights added to various barriers or other obsticles you need to avoid.

* - Additional barriers added at various points along the course to help keep the player on track (or crash and die horribly).

* - A pair of asthetic A-164 Wipeouts will fly over and around Kavala during the start of the race. (note they will not engage the OPFOR helos if you enable them)

* - Opening text and briefing texts have been rewritten to reflect recent changes.

Fixes:

* - Civilian traffic should (hopefully) work properly. Sometimes the triggers would not fire and the traffic would simply sit there creating annoying obsticles. Please let me know if this still happens.

* - Civilian traffic will now turn their lights on at night.

* - Initial spawn loadout when you first join the game. Sometimes would not spawn properly and prevented you from repairing your car until you respawned.

Edited by ange1u5