Sign in to follow this  
roguetrooper

More control over tank turret please.

A player commander of a tank with AI-gunner and AI-driver should have more control over the turret. Often the AI-gunner moves the turret in a stupid, unpredictable and uncontrollable way. When you roll over a hill and you know there is a target behind, you want the turret already being turned to the front (which is practically impossible or a matter of great luck). Or when you move through a town... it's impossible to keep the gun directed forward. The whole tank gets stuck (house corners, street lamps etc) because the AI-gunner feels the need to turn around in a random way.

If you can command the crew (F1, F2 etc.,) the you can select the gunner and use alt and give the watch there command.

The showcase does not give you control of the crew and I don't know how you would do it otherwise.

Been like this since Arma 1 and it is annoying. It makes you just ditch the damn AI crew and go solo, driving and gunning your self. In Operation Flashpoint it worked perfectly. The AI gunner pretty much kept the turret pointing in the direction of travel, unless you had a target "locked". If you started to reverse he would point the turret backwards after about 50-100m. Then if you stated to go forward, he would again point the gun forward after a certain distance traveled.

I doubt it will be fixed anytime soon.

They should go back and look at how tanks where used with AI in the original Operation Flashpoint. There was so much that was better. Such as, you used to be able to just left click to lock(assign) a target and right click to fire, instead of this command fire rubbish they added in the first Arma. Where you have to press a key to and click the mouse to fire...etc

Edited by -=seany=-

Been like this since Arma 1 and it is annoying. It makes you just ditch the damn AI crew and go solo, driving and gunning your self. In Operation Flashpoint it worked perfectly. The AI gunner pretty much kept the turret pointing in the direction of travel, unless you had a target "locked". If you started to reverse he would point the turret backwards after about 50-100m. Then if you stated to go forward, he would again point the gun forward after a certain distance traveled.

I doubt it will be fixed anytime soon.

They should go back and look at how tanks where used with AI in the original Operation Flashpoint. There was so much that was better. Such as, you used to be able to just left click to lock(assign) a target and right click to fire, instead of this command fire rubbish they added in the first Arma. Where you have to press a key to and click the mouse to fire...etc

At least give us the option for this ..... me wants !

Not that it excuses the problem, but you can also just move the the gunner seat and still give the driver commands.

BIS just may make an AI gunner to keep the cannon aligned to the front of the tank unless it's fixed to a target. This uncontrolled and random paddling is still very annoying (and most likely quite unrealistic).

<Offtopic>

and we nees nees the old drive slow command- its removet. ^^

It's there - try pressing Ctrl+W. Works for me.

</Offtopic>

Edited by DarkWanderer

BIS just may make an AI gunner to keep the cannon aligned to the front of the tank unless it's fixed to a target. This uncontrolled and random paddling is still very annoying (and most likely quite unrealistic).

Technically they do move the turret when moving so the gunner can scan the area for targets, but in built up areas the AI should be smart enough to not do so. Also could do with making it a bit easier to tell them to face front or just make that default behaviour with scanning as the option instead.

its so frustrating. all the armas are so half assed compared to operation flashpoint. in OFP there were tank interiors and you could exit the optics which would keep the turret pointed in the same direction as the hull. in arma 2 not only is it completely impossible to keep the turret from moving constantly, but there are no interiors whatsoever. i have around 2000 hours in arma2/oa and i still say overall the game fucking sucks. in the pmc campaign for operation arrowhead it begins with you driving down a road in zargabad. on the opposite side of the road is a takistani army t-72 driving towards you in traffic. every time i have ever tried to play the ai tank gunner will turn the turret to the side for no reason, the turret collides with the car you are riding in and cannot exit which causes it to explode and kill you. awesome. paid 10 dollars for it and you cant even get past the very first "cutscene" in the game. how did they not see this before releasing the game? are they incompetent or do they simply not care? this isnt a 1 in a million bug it happens EVERY SINGLE TIME. no problem you say, load up the editor and create your own mission that isnt broken and lo and behold- every time you drive through a city the ai swings the turret so wildly that it literally catches on the sides of buildings and lampposts which throws the tank around and sometimes killing friendly troops. bohemia interactive has zero respect for their customers and thinks theyre all morons who can be scammed. ever since arma 1 came out in 2006 people have been asking for this to be fixed. here we are almost 10 years and 3 games later and they still cant even respond.

Personally I'd like to exchange Carts and Zeus for proper tank controls (AI turret/cannon issues and AI driver issues with player commander).

Personally I'd like to exchange Carts and Zeus for proper tank controls (AI turret/cannon issues and AI driver issues with player commander).

Me too! :D

But the "Watch There" command, AI select (F*) + Alt + left click on ground point, target, or building (as mentioned in second post), really helps keep the AI gunner from rotating the turret excessively.

But remember. A3 is an "infantry-focused" game, said BI devs.

WTF???!!! :mad:

Edited by OMAC