Sign in to follow this  
UKSF

UKSF - Brecon Beacons (Beta 0.1)

dxq5.png

I am happy to announce the beta version of our mod teams first island. It is a topographical depiction of the Brecon Beacons mountains in South Wales, United Kingdom. The Brecon Beacons are used by the British army to ruck in extreme conditions, harsh terrain and crushing elevations. More interestingly the mountains are used by the Special Air Service for the endurance test in their selection, known as the fan dance the 24 km ruck is one of the toughest and most dangerous selection courses in the world. More men have died doing the fan dance than any other western tier one selection.

The map is made as a simulation of the typical topography of the area. It is not a 1:1 copy nor is it an attempt to replicate infrastructure, British army training facilities or specific geography/landmarks. The map could easily be used to simulate Scottish Highlands, North American Mountains or Eastern European Mountains.

The map contains roughly 10 peaks and sports woodland, valleys, lakes, snowy ridges and shruby valleys.

The map has 2 facilities connected by a road both of which contain watermarks for our unit, some custom objects will be required to use the map and that is what is taking most of our time at the moment.

The map's topography is done by myself but everything beyond that other some creative assistance is done by Whitefang ([uKSF] Maier)

Help modeling building would be appreciated. Thanks for any feedpack. Screenshots and beta version available for download here

zl2w.png

ihju.png

4l5e.png

nt1m.png

bz7.png

luuz.png

sp81.png

8td.png

ji50.png

The map has the airfield placed down but still requires a full base to put in, there are however 2 empty spaces which can be used for a "makeshift" base in the in-game editor. I am aware by arma standards this is a simple and perhaps ugly map, but it does a respectable job depicting the geography it is based on and after playing arma for years and years I'd like to think some folks out there would agree this was not a waste of my time.

Other than a fixed base, there is an clear issue with the texture generated for this map. It is in grid squares and can clearly be seen close up. I would like to see both these issues fixed soon but the object placement of the base and the enhancement of the forests and mountains with rocks and boulders takes priority over an aesthetic blemish that can be overlooked if your enjoying the big picture and are not too bothered by a detail close up (like me...).

Feedback really appreciated, thanks for reading I hope you enjoy taking a peak.

• Like 1

oh my god my dream is there a link kind sir or hasn't this been released yet, this looks very nice, me and me and the 2 other guys wanted something like this for training

Edited by Tom.Tucka

oh my god my dream is there a link kind sir or hasn't this been released yet, this looks very nice i do a uksf campaign for my clan (16AA) and me and the 2 other guys wanted something like this for training, you are probably my most favorite person on the planet

http://uploading.com/files/get2/8fm91mea/1?

---------- Post added at 21:56 ---------- Previous post was at 21:55 ----------

very much in beta, it is named "FISHMAP" at the moment and as stated in the post is pretty much buildingless (pretty much), but you can have some fun with the topography.

Ooo and if you want to stop by, say hello, give feedback or offer advise/requests you can feel free to do so on our teamspeak :"uk-sf.com" is the teamspeak ip.

Edited by UKSF

Would like to see this on Armaholic for downloading, don't like the site your using there, but really would like to see this terrain.:)

I would like to see it too but I hope not you are thinking i am going to install some crapware infested download excellerator, cause i wont :)

The OP needs to upload this elsewhere or tell us how we can download this without the exe file.

I would like to see it too but I hope not you are thinking i am going to install some crapware infested download excellerator, cause i wont :)

The OP needs to upload this elsewhere or tell us how we can download this without the exe file.

Very true..;)

Release frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

** does this require CO or just OA?

Thanks for clearing that up!

===================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account (The_Fish) on Armaholic.

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

** Note: since this is a project on which more people are working we will contact you in the future to discuss how you want this to be setup on Armaholic.

Edited by Guest

Great to see this terrain, thanks for sharing it. Also thanks to foxhound for having it on armaholic.

:)

Ah one of my favourite parts in the UK :) I'll be sure to recreate my DofE expedition route :P Thanks for the release and I look forward to more updates! ^^

I am aware by arma standards this is a simple and perhaps ugly map, but it does a respectable job depicting the geography it is based on and after playing arma for years and years I'd like to think some folks out there would agree this was not a waste of my time

Depicting of real geography isn't simple or ugly so I like this map.

Looks very promising!

Did you sculpt the heightmap yourself? The hills look very natural!

Well done so far!!

B

Did this ever get finnished? or even ported to arma 3? good work

46 minutes ago, rickzone said:

Did this ever get finnished? or even ported to arma 3? good work

As per the forum rules, digging up old threads is not allowed. This thread was last updated in 2013 - Closing