rve_black_400pxkestm.png

After some overwhelming feedback I turned this into a full addon. This includes a roadmap, milestones, and a changelog.

What does this mod aim for?

This mod tries to refine, optimize and perfect the vehicle physics due to totally remade config values, parameters and code.

Does this mod conflict with any other mod?
As far as I know not. This mod only overrides the vanilla A3 vehicles without changing any of its usability or function.
It could happen that this mod interfers with AGM. But I have not tested it.

Changelog:

Roadmap & To-Do List

- who knows what else I can add?

Source files:
Please contact me if you wish insight into the source-files!

Latest Version: 3.4.1
Download:

Vanilla:
NO LONGER  PROVIDED

Apex:
NO LONGER  PROVIDED

Armaholic page:
http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=23560

Special Thanks to:
-Bohemia for using PhysX
-Sakura_Chan for his Primer thread ( http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?149027-Primer-for-new-vehicle-simulation )
-da12thmonkey and Blu3sman for their tips and explanations
-Foxhound for uploading this mod on Armaholic and keeping it updated. You rock!
-Everyone who tests this mod and gives feedback

Credits:
-Bohemia Interactive: They own all of the stuff I have retweaked or reworked for this mod!
-Lappihuan: He's my personal scripting god. whatever needed to be done, he knows how.
-bigmumu: Some textures I sued are from him. And I will certainly use more!
-super-truite: Thanks for letting me use and retweak your fuel can script!

This mod is licensed under Arma Public License Share Alike (APL-SA)
http://www.bistudio.com/community/licenses/arma-public-license-share-alike
APL-SA.png

Old Post:

I wasn't very impressed when I first drove the Offroad. The gearbox and engine weren't matched, the gearbox changed too fast and too arbitrary. The suspension was too smooth and too soft. I was pretty unhappy with that.
Then I saw Sakura_chan's post here where he'd explain some of the new configs and took a look into the wiki as well.
So, what I did in the end was:

Ripped out the engine and gearbox code. After that, I grabbed an old engine and gearbox calculator I had from modding for Race07. I did some research and checked some engine files and power charts and came up with engine parameters totally made up from scratch, matching more or less modern torque and hp curves. BI only allows 8 values at the moment, so it wasn't possible for me to create a good working diesel engine. (PLEASE BIS, ALLOW MORE VALUES!!!!!)

clipboard057bu8k.jpg

clipboard02absic.jpg

At this point, I really had a hard time finding a good engine curve, so the acceleration is smooth, and not extremly abrupt.

Then I took an old excel sheet I had around for calculating the gearbox. I chose standard 255 wheel height to calculate the 5-speed gearbox and played around a bit to find the matching setup.
clipboard06pluek.jpg

After I matched the gearbox with all its other configs, I tried myself on the suspension, and here I must say:
Well done BI. I never had so much fun playing around with values. It is possible to create a really hard and stiff suspension for tarmac, as well as a very soft one for offroad and rockcrawling action.
You can see as well effects on your overall handling. You can make a car oversteer in every corner with the right settings, or understeer if you go to fast into a corner (which is the setting I chose, since it is more realistic)
I evenutally found the best values fitting for me. It is a rather stiff one. This made the car well on tarmac, but very good to drive on gravel roads as well.

In the end I came to the tires. After some experimenting with the values for slip and friction I finally got hands on a better solution as BI standard.
You have very good grip at low speed, and you faster you get, the lesser grip you have.
I am still not happy with those numbers, but this is not an ended project.

In the end, here is a small video I just recorded.

And here are the files, so you cast test it yout by yourself.
NO LONGER  PROVIDED

Just unpack it in your Arma3 folder.
You will find it under "Empty -> Cars -> Offroad Reworked"

Please give me any feedback. What you like, what you don't like.
Do you have a suggestion? Go for it!

All in all:
It was great fun to play with all those values. I have to say thanks to Sakura_Chan whose post about the new vehicle config gave me the idea to rework the offroad.
Then I have to say thanks to BIS as well, who did a great job on programming the car physics. They work very well, and if you know how to use them you can really make realistic cars.
Thanks guys!

ps: If you want those generators and sheets, just write it down here. Will upload them afterwards.

• Like 4

Looks good. Will you also rework the Hatchbacks, quadbikes, etc?

BTW, should we maybe make a ticket for an improved Offroad then?

Maybe yes, maybe no. Those two things depend on how big the feedback is. Personally I feel that some of the vehicles like the Hunter are pretty good.

But if I will make all of them or leave this here as a proof of concept? I don't know.

Let's see how many people like those changes, and how the feedback is.

Edited by RedPhoenix

Amazing Work. What they have done with the vehicles imo is shockingly bad in todays standards (just look at the GTA games), engine sounds do need mods like this and i will be following this one closely.

Another one is the Physics to the vehicles... I've gone offroading in games and in real life, and the offroading just feels weak..

Anyway well done!

I wasn't very impressed when I first drove the Offroad. The gearbox and engine weren't matched, the gearbox changed too fast and too arbitrary. The suspension was too smooth and too soft. I was pretty unhappy with that.

Then I saw Sakura_chan's post here where he'd explain some of the new configs and took a look into the wiki as well.

So, what I did in the end was:

Ripped out the engine and gearbox code. After that, I grabbed an old engine and gearbox calculator I had from modding for Race07. I did some research and checked some engine files and power charts and came up with engine parameters totally made up from scratch, matching more or less modern torque and hp curves. BI only allows 8 values at the moment, so it wasn't possible for me to create a good working diesel engine. (PLEASE BIS, ALLOW MORE VALUES!!!!!)

http://abload.de/img/clipboard057bu8k.jpg

http://abload.de/img/clipboard02absic.jpg

At this point, I really had a hard time finding a good engine curve, so the acceleration is smooth, and not extremly abrupt.

Then I took an old excel sheet I had around for calculating the gearbox. I chose standard 255 wheel height to calculate the 5-speed gearbox and played around a bit to find the matching setup.

http://abload.de/img/clipboard06pluek.jpg

After I matched the gearbox with all its other configs, I tried myself on the suspension, and here I must say:

Well done BI. I never had so much fun playing around with values. It is possible to create a really hard and stiff suspension for tarmac, as well as a very soft one for offroad and rockcrawling action.

You can see as well effects on your overall handling. You can make a car oversteer in every corner with the right settings, or understeer if you go to fast into a corner (which is the setting I chose, since it is more realistic)

I evenutally found the best values fitting for me. It is a rather stiff one. This made the car well on tarmac, but very good to drive on gravel roads as well.

In the end I came to the tires. After some experimenting with the values for slip and friction I finally got hands on a better solution as BI standard.

You have very good grip at low speed, and you faster you get, the lesser grip you have.

I am still not happy with those numbers, but this is not an ended project.

In the end, here is a small video I just recorded.

And here are the files, so you cast test it yout by yourself.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/84370332/%40Offroad.rar

Just unpack it in your Arma3 folder.

You will find it under "Cars" named as "Offroad Reworked"

Please give me any feedback. What you like, what you don't like.

Do you have a suggestion? Go for it!

All in all:

It was great fun to play with all those values. I have to say thanks to Sakura_Chan whose post about the new vehicle config gave me the idea to rework the offroad.

Then I have to say thanks to BIS as well, who did a great job on programming the car physics. They work very well, and if you know how to use them you can really make realistic cars.

Thanks guys!

ps: If you want those generators and sheets, just write it down here. Will upload them afterwards.

The gear head in me just did a little happy dance.

Its this level of detail and passion for the hobby that gets me all gushy! Great work, man. Inspired.

Oh, very good. Driving the Offroad with this has a great feel, and my slide-out-of-control-crashes are more like what I expect! Transitions between surfaces seem more meaningful and the truck bounces convincingly on rough ground.

Please post your sheets & tools!

Thanks for the comments so far.

I am considering doing a tutorial run on the normal Hatchback, where I will post further explanations about the configs.

If you guys want that...

Redphoenix the tanks and basically all tracked vehicles are in dire need due to turning on the dime.Looks way off when you are fighting as infantry side by side with a tank and its moving around and basically spinning at whim. or flying downhill and does instant 180.

Redphoenix the tanks and basically all tracked vehicles are in dire need due to turning on the dime.Looks way off when you are fighting as infantry side by side with a tank and its moving around and basically spinning at whim. or flying downhill and does instant 180.

I think I will take a look on that tomorrow. But the main issue with flying tanks is, that their weight is not correct and/or to low.

But I think I can make something nice with the suspension configs.

---------- Post added at 01:01 ---------- Previous post was at 23:09 ----------

I just made a quick scope through the Slammer config. tell me what you think. Don't now if its better now, or worse.

Only thing I had to rethink was a new gearbox, because the vanilla one was 4-speed, real one is 5-speed.

But in general, the overall gravity may be too weak as well....

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/84370332/%40Slammer.rar

This is really cool. I was actually able to drive the offroad with the keyboard and not hit anything. Kudos!

Great work,starting to feel like tons of heavy tank now.Can you remove the sliding when turning at speed or rather tone it down a good amount?Makes it hard to turn at speed as when you release the turn the tank keeps turning for awhile making it hard to maneuver it.

Yup, I can do that. But I have to find the golden mid between unmovable and movable without starting a tank-dance...

Will try some values later.

Just both configs. Please update the new version and give me your feedback.

I am thinking about refining all vehicles which would take a lot of time, but I think it could be worth it.

I really appreciate your words and comments.

Offroad:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/84370332/%40Offroad.rar

Slammer

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/84370332/%40Slammer.rar

Oh, and thanks to da12thMonkey who gave me info about some parameters.

Edited by RedPhoenix
added info of double post

double post, sorry...

Edited by RedPhoenix
double post...

IMO the Slammer got just too heavy, maybe the turning ratio is fine, but the speed is slugish right now; I was piloting in a leveled road, pressing shift for turbo, and it kept 25 km/h in a concret road... the Slammer is based on the Israeli Merkava, and I´ve heard he´s quite fast (I should get at least 70 km/h on that said road)

But the offroad seamed as stable as it should get, both reworked vehicles are nice, I would just suggest more frontal speed to the Slammer!

Keep up the good work, RedPhoenix =)

Really? Last time I tested it made perfect 64kph (which is factory standard). Will check that now.

And I cannot change the vehicles total mass, that would need me to open the p3ds, which is impossible for me.

Edit: Please download the file again, The Slammer ran perfectly fine here.

I removed the own class and therefore updated all classes. Other armored vehicles based on the Slammer will use now the same config.

More ore less, its now fully updated.

Cheers.

Edited by RedPhoenix

Really? Last time I tested it made perfect 64kph (which is factory standard). Will check that now.

And I cannot change the vehicles total mass, that would need me to open the p3ds, which is impossible for me.

Sorry Red, you´ve misunderstood: when I said heavy, I was meaning low speed/agility, not that you´ve actually changed the vehicle mass ;D

I´ll test it more, maybe it was just that mission (and it was a spawnned tank, through MCC)

{After testing it on the Altis desert} Oh I see, it has a sloooow acceleration (almost 30 sec to reach 50 kph, and one whole minute to 60 kph, which was the top speed I could get) well, gotta get used to it ;)

Edited by Corporal_Lib[BR]

It shouldn't make problems using those addons. But try it out, maybe it was something else I am not aware off.

But nevertheless, I halved the force which defines how fast the tank can turn on a point. That should make it easier to handle the tank. I personally would like to see some kind of function here, where the feast you go, the lesser force is used to turn.

I am currently working on the Hatchback, but the normal version.

Finished already the engine, based on the Honda Civic 1.8 which produces around 140hp and 170Nm.

My values:

hatchbackkwlxc.jpg

Original engine

2050705.005.mini6lbzzfn.jpg

Great improvements!

Regarding the offroad: One thing I noticed is that it's hard to get from 1st gear when starting uphill, from standing still. It just won't get to second gear! But that's a problem that's been present before.. Would be nice you could fix it though!

And it seems to me that the rpm register being used is a bit narrow. Would it be possible to make it so that when using full throttle (SHIFT+W) it will use higher revs?

Great improvements!

Thanks!

Regarding the offroad: One thing I noticed is that it's hard to get from 1st gear when starting uphill, from standing still. It just won't get to second gear! But that's a problem that's been present before.. Would be nice you could fix it though!

I tried really hard fixing this, or at least getting a way around, but this is prevented by the rather sluggish implemention of an automatic gearbox. This up and down-shifting is the reason why all automatic gearboxes are offering a manual 1st, 2nd or 3rd gear. In Drive-mode the gearbox cannot decide whether it wants to go 2nd or 3rd gear uphill. It would be shifting from 2nd gear up because the engine has enough power to pull it, but the car would slow down in 3rd. That would make the gearbox shifting down again.

This creates this back and forth shifting. As long as BI doesn't implements a manual or semi-manual way of shifting, this problem will be present.

I could give the car more power, but that's an obsolete way of solving this problem.

And it seems to me that the rpm register being used is a bit narrow. Would it be possible to make it so that when using full throttle (SHIFT+W) it will use higher revs?

I've redone the gearbox and engine. It uses now more of the RPM band (the engine will work from 2000-3500 rpm).

I wouldn't normally drive this way but LOL THIS IS ARMA! (where fuel costs around 25$/€/Greekish Money per litre)

Re-download the file and give me your feedback.

;2494797']IMO the Slammer got just too heavy' date=' maybe the turning ratio is fine, but the speed is slugish right now; I was piloting in a leveled road, pressing shift for turbo, and it kept 25 km/h in a concret road... the Slammer is based on the Israeli Merkava, and I´ve heard he´s quite fast (I should get at least 70 km/h on that said road)

But the offroad seamed as stable as it should get, both reworked vehicles are nice, I would just suggest more frontal speed to the Slammer!

Keep up the good work, RedPhoenix =)[/quote']

Technically, yes, the Merk - and other tanks can go a decent clip. For example, on a test track they had a M1 up to 80MPH*. But there is a problem (Well, two). The biggie is ride limit. On smooth pavement, faster speeds are not an issue. Once you are off it though, suspension bounce becomes a issue fast. After a point, the bounce will prevent the driver - and rerst of the crew - to actually fight the tank. If you are too busy bouncing off of stuff, you can't do anything - and there is no seatbelts. Acceleration and Top Speed, The M1 is probably one of the best. The T90 because of its lower weight is neck and neck. But once you get of the pavement, top speed doesn't mean anything. Its all about suspension travel. Offroad, the merk is actually significantly faster because the suspension bounce is much better: one of the best in the world. By and large, most countries will but governors on the mortors to keep speed down, in the US its 45kph, which is higher I am told that most others. But again, its all about the ride limit. At what point are you capable of drive before the speed shakes you apart.

The second thing is your track. The faster you go, the more likely it is to fall apart on you. In this, Russian steel tracks have an advantage, there is a large rod that goes the entire length mating the blocks together. It also lasts longest. However, its much heavier, and limits its speed. Western track is typically lighter: mix of rubber pads and steel blocks. With a end connector on each side held on by friction, and a centre connector in the middle bolted on, it has the flexibility to run faster. But to a point: It will eventually fall apart. Usually about 60KPH. The Merk, for all its a western tank, actually uses the Sov/Russian pattern all steel: they do last a lot longer that the rubber block hybrid the west uses.

That M1 mentioned above? For that test, the connectors was welded on into one large mass, and after 20 miles or so, the track was on the verge of self destruction.

On point: Tried the new class files, and they feel pretty darn good. Gonna drive around some more, and give you some feedback RP, but so far I am liking it a lot. :)

Now the new files are overriding the normal Offroads. Should have stated that, sorry.

Edited by RedPhoenix