Sign in to follow this  
Stagler

[SP] Battlefields (@Delta Hawk USMM)

ndd8UFd.jpg

* Version: v1.1*

- updated 22/10/13

I have re-imagined this OFP classic to the Gulf War Era for people to enjoy this mod upon its release. The SP mission Battlefields sees US mechanised forces seizing an oil field from Takistani forces then resisting a large armoured counter attack.

The mission utilises Delta Hawk's US Military Mod.

Filedropper Download Link v1.1 - updated 22/10/13

Armaholic Download Link v1.0

Original mission converted to ARMA 2 engine by W0lle and the CWR2 Team.

Any bugs or anything post in here.

As always, enjoy lads.

Edited by colonel stagler

My god, Colonel, but your fast! This MOD just went up on Armaholic today!

And SP! Wow, nice.

I am surprised ! :bounce3: A wonderful mission, without large errors ;)

I am surprised ! :bounce3: A wonderful mission, without large errors ;)

Cheers Luki :)

I think this mission is quite a bit too hard. Assaulting with not a platoon, as stated in the mission text, but with just half a dozen soldiers and one bradley (I doubt this is even a squad) against such a strong enemy force would be dangerously arrogant and prone to failure. And the inevitable happened (over and over in every playthrough), my fireteam got shot to pieces at first contact, and the bradley didn't survive long either because of so many rpg soldiers. Even if the player stays back in order to survive, it is still a very tedious proceeding to fight with ironsighted rifle and one AT4 against AI with FALs (aka the pauper's sniper rifle) and several BTRs in totally open terrain. If you grab opfor weapons asap, you can make this challenge.

At the moment, this is a strong anti-war statement, a graphic example what happens if you put your very life in the hands of incompetent superiors. But to improve playing fun, a slightly more realistic setting would be very welcome (remember that in reality, the whole coalition had extremely low casualties, not counting accidents, the one SCUD incident, gulf syndrom cases and suicides). What about two bradleys and several fireteams, with the bradleys staying out of range of the rpgs so they stay alive to give their inf proper fire support? I know the ACOG wasn't invented yet in 1991, the concept of a DM wasn't used yet, and of the DMR-suiting rifles, the SR-25 saw first use with the seals in Somalia '93, so it probably would be unrealistic to wish for something with a scope. But if the player had a machine gun instead of the M16+AT4, he would already stand a better change against the BTRs (can shoot the wheels). A helicopter or some other air support would not be unrealistic either, at least to deal with the counterattack.

BTW, I have to inform you that some addon changing AI behaviour seem to stall the mission, units are not moving properly. I still have to find out exactly which, I suspect it's TWPCAS.

I think this mission is quite a bit too hard.

I have seen your critique of other missions in other threads, and quite frankly, really really approve of your comments. You seem to be full of knowledge.

I'm almost afraid to ask you to do the same with my missions, but I do need this kind of feed back and wish other players would do this more often because mission makers need it.

Would you ever consider being a beta tester? I sure as heck could use your input before I upload my missions.

Please consider playing my missions.........and commenting.........but don't kill me ;)

Haw haw haw haw.

b02f9f2cb776d6a34effafb9ff00bfdd.jpeg

I don't think you have very good situational awareness Brainbug, especially of the A10 and of the other Bradley and infantry in your scout troop that attacks alongside of you. I was fine.

If the other mods are giving you problems. That's your problem.

Ya know it gives me that warm and fuzzy feeling in my chest when I see my work included in missions. It's almost like seeing my children grow up and go to school *tear*

Looking forward to trying it!

I'm 100 percent sure I would have noticed "the other bradleys and the A10" if there were any. But you are right, there might have been some addons running that interfered, I'll check again.

EDIT: Played it again, no addons (except the 80s&90s units of course). One of the three bradleys ate an rpg early on (about 30 sec after we disembarked), the second helped a bit but then got lost, as well as the third, but I found that one together with the A10 as wrecks near the tank army that is massed in the north, which does not move. my men however got the command "attack that t55" and went in and got slaughtered (of course).

I also got a bunch of unusual script errors in game, something is very wrong here. I want to know if this is the mission or the addon or my game that is messed up somehow.

EDIT#2: I have received those script errors even without your mission and without Delta's addon, so the fault must be on my end. I'm in the process of reinstalling CO, will try again when done.

EDIT#3: OK, nevermind, I found out that the script errors are rooted within the latest beta patch, and I had the parameter -showscripterrors activated, so that case is closed.

But the mission still plays the same, with the usual slight differences. When I see some enemies and start to fire at them, my group just keeps running until they are dead, the nco usually gets shot first with one or two comrades beside him, then the rest will move on far into the enemy territory (which is of course not cleared at all) and get shot eventually, while I am still a few hundred meters back, pinned down and trying to get a proper rilfe and rpgs to do something against the btrs. The bradleys are not a great help, they either stay back or get shot or both.

Well maybe I'm just a bad player, but I find this one of the hardest missions I ever played. Col Stagler, would you mind uploading a movie how you play this, maybe I can see there how the bradleys and the a10 help you, they don't help me. Or I can at least watch and learn how to play.

But regardless how bad I play (so that only I survive and no one else on my side), I still find it "interesting" that the promised armor attack never rolls in, the tanks keep sitting far in the north in the staging area, even if I attack them and then retreat to get more rpgs. They can't be lured out there. Eventually if I have killed everything and exploded all tanks, the mission will not end. Pardon me, but I just cannot explain this behaviour with just bad situational awareness on my side.

Edited by Brainbug

I have seen your critique of other missions in other threads, and quite frankly, really really approve of your comments. You seem to be full of knowledge.

Keep in mind that I mean this generally speaking. I did not mean specifically for this mission.

Last thing I want to do, is to piss off the colonel.:o

coward^^

BTW, I have played this AGAIN, now with TPWCAS, and the AI reacted better, so I managed to keep a few of my team alive. The Bradley that we disembarked from drove around and killed a bunch of enemies, but then exploded after an rpg hit. The one on the right flank never moved from its initial position, the one on the left disappeared somewhere out of sight, never saw it again. This time I could not even find a wreck of the A10. And again the enemy tanks were waiting in the valley and not moving out, after I killed them all (and all tanks exploded properly), the mission did not end, instead my team just ran on until we were all out of the AO and got killed by the "you went too far" script.

So with TWPCAS, I wouldn't say anymore that it is "too hard", but it still does not work as intended. Am I really the only one where the enemy tanks don't attack?

Edited by Brainbug

A10 only comes if all bradleys are destroyed, immobilised, or weapons are destroyed.

I have updated the mission and put a M47 Dragon and several reloads in the back of the Bradley to make it easier if you want to take that to destroy tanks and other enemy vehicles if the Bradleys decide to get lost. I don't know why the enemies didn't show up they did when I tested it just then. The code is copied directly from W0lles version of this mission for CWR2.

Here is new version :)

v1.1 SG Battlefields

Filedropper Download Link v1.1

thanks, but that doesn't tackle the main issue. I found out what it is: The units are not acting properly, it's not only the enemy tank army, but also the friendly assets as well. I opened the mission in the editor and placed a civilian in chopper and set him as player, so I could watch as neutral observer from above what happened. And actually, not much happened: The bradleys drove into position on the ridge (where the "unload" point is), but did NOT unload the infantry (I only learned that there was meant to be more infantry after I saw it in the editor!), and the squad in the middle (where the player was not anymore because I placed it as civilian) did not disembark either. I noticed that when I damaged a bradley so that everyone had to bail out, they started to move along their waypoints. And I found the A10, it was still in the exact place where it was placed in the editor, i.e. somewhere quite far in the south, and in a remarkable supernatural phenomenon that cannot explained by the laws of physics: it had exactly ZERO airspeed despite its engines running at full throttle.

I vaguely remember to have read something about a "doStop" error that broke missions, I have no idea about that, but could that be the reason? I'm using beta patch 103718 (purportedly the last one before the "undefined variable" script errors start), however, tried the same without beta, same result, so I assume it does not depend on the game version.

Looking forward to playing this!

Colonel, and chance for a CWR2 coop version of this mission? Seems fitting!

I will take another look when i get home tonight. The a10 is meant to be like that its on enable simulation false until the conditions are met for its intervention. I.e the bradleys are knocked our. As for the infantry unloading i have a suspcion that its the unload waypoint not being transport unload, it doesn't always work.

Cheers mate for sharing. Quality! Any chance that you will be shifting your talents to Arma 3 soon?

As for the infantry unloading i have a suspcion that its the unload waypoint not being transport unload, it doesn't always work.

Unload disembarks soldiers that are in the same group as the vehicle they're in.

Transport unload disembarks soldiers who are in a different group from the vehicle they're in.

Hope that helps?

Hi think that those tanks on the north do not move properly for an issue related to Bis desert terrain (a sort of a grey area on the map), some time go I also made a mission using OA desert and the troops or vehicles that were too far from the oil filed did not move, the same for helicopters.

The same thingh\issue could affect AI Bradly IFVs or troops as well as the A10 if they go in that "grey area" of the map.

Try to place those northern Opfor tanks closer and things might be better.

Carry on your great work buddy !

Unload disembarks soldiers that are in the same group as the vehicle they're in.

Transport unload disembarks soldiers who are in a different group from the vehicle they're in.

Hope that helps?

No no, my thoughts were correct. I just checked in the editor then. The move orders are Transport Unload not Unload. I genuinely don't know why yours isn't working Brainbug. The A10 is meant to be static until it is allowed to move when/if the Bradleys are knocked out. The enemy forces are meant to counterattack after you have taken the oilfield, so they don't move until that objective is completed.

Nevertheless I did find a problem with the end trigger though, which I have fixed in this latest (hopefully) version.

v1.2 SG Battlefields

Filedropper v1.2 Link

Have fun.

Edited by colonel stagler

I genuinely don't know why yours isn't working Brainbug.
Me neither. But I even reinstalled the whole game, played with and without addons, with and without beta, whatelse can I do? Would be helpful if a few other people would say something about that (either "it doesn't work for me either" or "no problem here").

But of course, if there WAS more infantry to the left and right of me and also three instead of one Bradley fighting along, then the odds would be very different, the player wouldn't be exposed to such tough crossfire etc.

Hey colonel_stagler,

looks like the filedropper links to the latest versions are dead. Do you still like to have some feedback? If so, please re-upload the mission.

It's a good Addon.

Edited by ryo