Sign in to follow this  
maturin

Practical jokes... with lasers

Here's a bit of levity for you guys.

Take control of a Darter and fly it around a Blufor base with some infantry patrols on it. If you want to try it for yourself, shine the laser at some random troops, and don't read below.

The AI will actually react uncomfortably to the laser now! They sort of twitch and flex their spines, fidgeting oddly when you paint them with it. Sometimes they will even start like frightened animals, making impossible sliding leaps away from the (invisible) red dot on the ground.

And it turns out they were right to be worried, because in the middle of my immature teasing, an ATGM came slamming down out of the sky and blew my tormentees to kingdom come. It has been gleefully fired by a brainless UAV circling around, half a map away. Turns out they don't care what you point it at, and whether you want them to fire or not.

It always worked like that actually. :)

You can give waypoints to the greyhawk and set his rules of engagement.

If you don't give him any instructions once you lase a target with either a man-portable laser designator or use the one built in the camera of the greyhawk/darter he will engage automatically the target with his ATGMs.

From what i recall anyway his missiles aren't really that effective against infantry, but cut through armor like a hot knife through butter.

p.s. i don't think infantrymen are supposed to react to the laser, maybe it's a bug you should report in the feed tracker ;)

OR it could be one of those non-lethal crowd control weapons & BI is experimenting with it.

but its probably a bug.

Testing...

Friendlies "see" the laser as a target, and keep aiming at it. The whole squad, funny.

Enemies look at it but do nothing.

It always worked like that actually. :)

You can give waypoints to the greyhawk and set his rules of engagement.

If you don't give him any instructions once you lase a target with either a man-portable laser designator or use the one built in the camera of the greyhawk/darter he will engage automatically the target with his ATGMs.

From what i recall anyway his missiles aren't really that effective against infantry, but cut through armor like a hot knife through butter.

p.s. i don't think infantrymen are supposed to react to the laser, maybe it's a bug you should report in the feed tracker ;)

I think it's actual behavior because why stay around a laser when a missle could possibly be on its way?

The weirdest thing is that you can shunt units aside with it, as if the engine thinks that the laser and a friendly unit shouldn't occupy the same position.