Sign in to follow this  
bushlurker

Bush's "Strange New Worlds"

BushTrekLogo2_SNW_256_zps41b323e3.jpg

A series (probably) of basic synthetic planetary surface terrains, loosely based on worlds depicted in Star Trek - The Original Series (for now), and primarily designed as simple playgrounds for the Star Trek: Road To The Stars Mod, by Abs.

picturemap_taurus_ii_ca_small_zps95fe5f8a.jpg

First terrain in the series is a loose depiction of Taurus II, as featured in the episode "The Galileo Seven".

Located deep in the heart of the interstellar electromagnetic phenomenon known as Murasaki 312, Taurus II is a nominally "M" class world, lit by a bright blue-white star.

Ionisation by exotic particles from the nearby Murasaki Effect colour the sky a lurid shade of green and, during the all-too frequent storms, colour the clouds an equally lurid shade of magenta/purple.

Cadets: remember your sunglasses!

ui_taurus_ii_ca_small_zpsb1a048be.jpg

Terrain Details

• 10.2km x 10.2km - 5 meter ground resolution
  • 0.5m/pixel hi-res satellite layer (takes a few moments to load, patience please)
  • Many unconvincing polystyrene rocks (Series 1 budgetary constraints)
  • Complete absence of vegetation (see above)
  • Low-budget lighting (see above)
  • Rock, sand & sky colours sampled from original episode scenes

Disclaimer

Since Arma 3 is still in Beta, our knowledge of it is limited, and tools to match are still but a hope on the horizon, there's a few flaws and omissions with this terrain, for now...

I haven't implemented the potentially funky new "satellite normals layer" tech on this terrain as yet... Thanks to a bit of Boldly Going by the Mighty Mikero, we do have that nominal capability now, but implementing it often seems to cause conflicts with ground surfaces in a way we don't fully understand, as yet...

Also, there seems to be a wierdness - mentioned by others elsewhere - regarding the satellite texture on the Editor and In-Game maps... This seems to "scramble" annoyingly as you zoom further out, while working normally at closer zooms... Dammit Jim, it's some sort of land grid thing I haven't quite puzzled out yet!

But since it was the only real flaw in the terrain I've decided to let it pass for now in this Beta 0.5 version at least...

The Usual Suspects

I've been around so long, and learned so much, from so many kind and helpful people, that my full credits list on any project would be longer than the project description itself.

I stand, as do we all, on the shoulders of Giants...

However, the indigenous anthropoids directly involved in this particular away mission include...

• The Mighty Mikero - from The M Continuum.
  • JR Walker aka. Lt Cmdr Leveller.
  • Aaron Torpy from the L3DT Cluster.
  • Q - from The Q Continuum.

Download

Download from the Armaholic Page (thanks Foxhound! )

Server key & bisign files included (untested, but hopefully working OK)

Boldly Go.......

B

Edited by Bushlurker
  • Like 1

Simply wow, that's very impressive. Great stuff Bushlurker :)

Thanks for informing us about the release :cool:

Release frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

===================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

Take On Mars A3 style.

I have been following this project, when I say following, I mean checking your site occasionally for any updates, for the last, well quite a long time. These worlds have been a project of yours for some time, I think.

Now its here and it certainly does not disappoint, its great, just like the mars terrains. I hope you continue these terrains, a series of them would be really good, but anyway, thanks for releasing and sharing them, its very much appreciated.

LOL @ "Many unconvincing polystyrene rocks (Series 1 budgetary constraints)"

Oh yes, Bushlurker is back for A3! :)

EDIT: Alternate color for sky? Maybe a relatively normal texture/darkened with auroras or nebulars?

I love it. Simply amazing! If anyone knows the old Ground Control I almost feel like playing it with some APCs in High Command ;)

Yea sorry..while terrain is a mastepiece/clouded sky doesn't fits imho :/

This is absolutely awesome! Thank you so much for this! Going to try it asap.

Edit:

Looks like the landing party discovered something...unexpected...on that planet :D :D :D :D

unexpected.jpg

Edited by sxp2high

"Captain's Log, 2823.1. Our landing parties are on the surface of Taurus II, and we continue to hope. Instruments are only slowly returning to an operable condition as the ion storm slowly disperses. On the ship, we can only wait helplessly."

Damn nice work Bushlurker!

Top stuff as ever bush, many thanks!

AMAZING! I wish you could have seen the smile this put on my face, Bush! :D

If I wasn't at work, I'd be taking a few screenshots on this beauty right now! I promise a mission will be released on this island! :)

Abs

This is Commander Shepard and this is my favourite terrain.

Not sure why this reminds so much of the secondary missions in ME1,I could almost picture a Mako in there.

Hi, if the clouds were yellow instead pink and had some ground level dense fog... it will be the perfect enviroment for a 2000AD Comics mod, it seems to fit perfectly a Rogue Trooper, Judge Dreed and Stronium Dog mods among other marvels from 2000AD like the ABC Warriors and all that stuff; is one of the most beautyful terrains that i've seen on the ArmA series. Now it just need the dust to match the main texture colour. Great job. Let's C ya

RP_logo_small_zps4e00c8fc.jpg

RURA PENTHE

ui_rura_penthe_small_zpsb2fd94f4.jpg

This episode of our Ongoing Mission takes us all the way to the Beta Quadrant, to the Klingon penal colony asteroid/planetoid Rura Penthe.

Terrain Details

• 10.2km x 10.2km - 2.5 meter ground resolution
  • 0.5m/pixel hi-res satellite layer (takes a few moments to load, patience please)

Rura Penthe was a penal colony asteroid utilized by the Klingon Empire. Located in the Beta Penthe system, it was widely known as "the alien's graveyard," due to the fact that the life expectancy for a prisoner there was, at most, one year.

Prisoners at Rura Penthe were forced to conduct mining operations for the purpose of retrieving the vast deposits of dilithium which existed beneath the surface. The surface temperature of Rura Penthe was extremely low, the landscape dominated by bare rock and thick dirty "cometary" snow. Without proper clothing, warmth or food, no humanoid lifeform was able to survive for an extended period on the surface, so all of the mining and prison facilities were located underground. A magnetic shield encased the mining facility and a vast area surrounding it in order to prevent escape through beaming from the surface.

Disclaimer

Sadly, like the recent Taurus II terrain in the series, despite some high-intensity Dammit Jimming, I still haven't definitively nailed the "scrambled satellite image on the in-game map" issue - things look OK on closer zooms though.

Similarly, the "Outside Terrain" tech, familiar from Arma 2, while present in the code in Arma 3, seems to be currently causing crashes if enabled... So, once again, the borders of the map stretch unattractively. Stay away from the edge, for now... I'm sure the tech will sort itself out come final release, and all of these terrains will undergo a little facelift from their current beta 0.5 status.

Additional Information

In 2153, Starfleet captain Jonathan Archer was condemned to a life-sentence on Rura Penthe, for his role in assisting a group of refugees which had fled the Klingon protectorate of Raatooras. In addition, Archer's advocate, Kolos, was sentenced to a period of one year in the mines, for his accusation of dishonorable conduct on the part of the magistrate. Although Archer was eventually rescued by his crew, Kolos elected to stay, feeling that he could not restore honor to the Klingon justice system living as a fugitive. (Enterprise S02 E19: Judgement)

In 2293, Starfleet officers James T. Kirk and Leonard McCoy were sentenced to life on Rura Penthe, after being found guilty of the assassination of Chancellor Gorkon. In an effort to ensure the deaths of the two officers, it was arranged for Martia, a Chameloid prisoner, to help them escape, providing motive for the Klingon forces on the surface to kill the two of them. Martia's plot was eventually uncovered, however, and Kirk and McCoy were rescued by Captain Spock and the crew of the USS Enterprise, after having been led beyond the magnetic shield by Martia. (Star Trek VI - The Undiscovered Country)

Cast & Crew

• Captain James T Abs
  • Science Officer J R Walker - Landscape Holography
  • Lt Cmdr Mikero - Tactical & Weapons Systems

Download

Armaholic Download

(.bisign & serverkey files included)

Gentlemen, once again I invite you to... Boldly Go...

B

Edited by Bushlurker

This is absolutely awesome! Thank you so much for this! Going to try it asap.

Edit:

Looks like the landing party discovered something...unexpected...on that planet :D :D :D :D

http://arma3.cc/unexpected.jpg

Maybe we could see some stargate maps as well rather than just star trek?