Sign in to follow this  
kleutscher

2017 - Official Announcement!

YOFVTSe.png

jXAgOXB.png

AEq5Mti.png - 1CFCTig.png - COCdPCD.jpg

This is an official announcement for a new mod for ArmA 3 titled '2017'. It is a Post-Apocalyptic Extreme Survival Horror game and the main end-goal is that it will be a total-conversion-mod. This will mean we will virtually be replacing all assets in-game to our own custom content

It will not be tied to our DayZ 2017 counterpart in any way in that it won't play like the DayZ mod. We have designed the mod to be a unique experience from the beginning so we've built it from the ground up. All code is brand new and rigorously organised. This makes finding bugs/ issues really easy as we can identify where to look based on the issue. So error handling will not be a problem.

2017 is set in a future where the apocalypse has long since past. 2017 was the year the outbreak occurred and has engulfed the globe with an unknown infection. After many years of agony and scrambling for survival across the globe... no one knows what year it is or how long it has been... it doesn't even matter any more. Your role is to survive, from other survivors, the environment, the infected and even... yourself.

a59dGPK.png zOShGSK.png K9mCdUk.png

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let's talk about features.

• Brand new Health, Hunger and Thirst system - If you're well fed and hydrated you will 'slowly' gain back health if you've taken damage. Health, Hunger and Thirst are all monitored separately and are independent from each other.
  • New Infected - These are not Zombies, these are infected humans with some unknown mutagen... This will enable us to be more flexible with the kind of variety that can improve the 'Horror' element. This is reminiscent of 'Resident Evil' where humans can mutate into various things, but ours however will be more grounded in reality in that they will be mainly humanoid. This also enables more possibilities for us with each update to add to the horror. These new infected WILL be a challenge and come in all forms of intelligence and difficulty.
  • Customisation/ Re-worked Models - ArmA 3 has granted us the opportunity to create so much variety with the models we're bringing over into ArmA 3 (these will change in time so they will no longer resemble the models from DayZ 2017) These have been fully reworked to utilise the ArmA 3 engine, physics, animations and skeleton. We have have temporarily made use of the models from DayZ 2017 (modified Icewindo models) and separated different sections to provide various forms of attire. You can mix and match to achieve the hobo/ survivor look you like.
  • Singleplayer/ Co-op Missions - These will serve as the driving force explaining the narrative whose repercussions can be observed in the multiplayer mode. Each mission will be creative, unique and tell a different segment of the 2017 universe. Play alone or co-op with your friends, your choice. Co-op difficulty will be scaled based on player numbers and difficulty selection.
  • New Map - Takes place on Altis and It's HUGE (270km2) and will be 'Heavily' modified to portray a unique world rich with a story down every street. Each vehicle wreck and ruined building adds to the untold story... well, untold until the singleplayer/ co-op mission comes out explaining it ;) .
  • Illness - Well you can get sick... but we're making sure it's realistic and portrayed accurately in-game.
  • Real World Values - Hunger, Thirst, Health, Illnesses will all have a realistic time-frame. This will ensure that you spend more time playing the game and surviving rather than scavenging all the time like in another mod we wont mention for ArmA 2. It also grants more time to find food and water and various ways to treat yourself. This also opens the door to a new level of immersion never seen.
  • Survival - The game has been designed in a way to make you want to survive by working with other players (or alone) and avoiding the infected and other perilous dangers in a much more realistic manner. Hunting, Gathering, Foraging, Fishing, Crafting, Building, other bushcraft skills, EVERYTHING! You might even have to resort to Cannibalism. We want to cover the entire basis of survival. If you want to hide in the forest and survive on your own, you can play like that. If you want to be in the city and be social or fight off the hordes of infected, you can. The sky is the limit with the amount of survival elements we will be implementing.
  • Loot - You will be able to search everywhere in the world to find various items/ tools/ equipment/ weapons etc. at a very rare chance, since this IS based in the future. This will NOT be a main focus as we want to treat this as only an 'element' of the gameplay. We do not want to distract you from the survival horror aspect with the mundane task of loot farming.
  • Multiple Play Styles - The mod has been designed to accommodate a plethora of play styles whilst not ruining it for others. PvP or not, you won't be punished or encouraged to play PvP but you'll want to approach each situation with realistic expectations.
  • Psychology - We will be adding psychological elements to the gameplay. We will not go into too much detail because we want people to experience it first hand :D .

So that is the basic overview of what will be in the game and we still have many more things that we will elaborate on in the future. We are looking to start closed alpha testing soon followed by open beta testing the following month, and finally the big release shortly thereafter.

Twitter: www.twitter.com/2017mod

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/2017mod

YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/2017mod

email: 2017mod@gmail.com

Team:

- Project Lead: Lee Elsom (Hellborn)

- Lead Sound Designer: Alan Kidd (HoundLog)

- Lead Developer: Deniz Zoeteman (gdscei)

- Artistic Lead: Luke Hinds (Shinkicker)

- Lead Tester: Tyler

- Developer: Philippe (Genkids)

- Developer: Sacha Ligthert (ligthert)

- Developer: Totoshe

- Concept Artist: Vitor Ferreira

- Media: Karwin Leutscher (kleutscher)

- Sound Designer: Swann Menage

- Map Designer: Tim Barros (Illuminist)

- 3D Modelling: Daniel (goutofashion)

- Texture Artist: Joon Keat (Doctor_Dentist)

- Animation: Jonathan Babcock

-Special thanks to Luke (Shinkicker) Hinds for creating the vision in which this game has evolved from and to everyone who is part of the team.

-Special thanks to Icewindo for helping with integrating the new infected model into ArmA 3 and The Post-Apocalyptic survivor models.

-Special thanks to NZXSHADOWS for helping with the ShadowVolume LOD for the new models and information regarding the 'Naming Properties' function.

-Thanks to Shamwill for helping with providing the guidelines for implementing weapons into ArmA 3.

-Thanks to Kiory with helping with fixing a lot of my issues regarding muzzle-flash on the weapons, proxies, reload animations etc. You are awesome.

Also, thanks to everyone I have missed incase I forgot anyone.

Kind Regards,

Lee Elsom (Hellborn)

April devblog: (for the older devblogs visit our youtube channel!)

Edited by kleutscher
updated post

is this yet another dayZ mod-mod/clone or will there be some interesting coop/sp missions too? still waiting for a replacement for chernarus apocalypse. it's unmatched to this day when it comes to real zombie gameplay.

Yeah, though the rolling Hills of Altis don't seem to frightening too me ^^. That Graveyard from the "LiveStream" could be suitable though.

Isn't there a mod for the DayZ mod called 2017 aswell? I swear i saw those models before!

is this yet another dayZ mod-mod/clone or will there be some interesting coop/sp missions too? still waiting for a replacement for chernarus apocalypse. it's unmatched to this day when it comes to real zombie gameplay.

No, it is not "yet another" DayZ mod. It was a well established DayZ mod from months ago that had a decent following.

I never thought I'd find myself playing any zombie gametype in Arma 3 but this 2017 looks really good. Graphically anyways. Or are those photos doctored in photoshop to look more cinematic?

this is like the charons undead mod, looks awesome...

i created tons and tons of missions using them.

brilliant **cking work..

Question: will the zombies have any animation to them or will they run like the Dynamic Zombie Sandbox?

keep us informed!

Looks really nice but the remind me a little bit of the Call of Bullshit Zombies ;)

is this yet another dayZ mod-mod/clone .

And Dayz was what... not another zombie mod?

I am not a big fan of DayZ, but, I could imagine some SP missions/campaign on Altis where you are on the vacation and suddenly the zombie epidemic starts to spread and you need to survive and find your way out....something like that, could be fun. :)

And Dayz was what... not another zombie mod?

wow. people get kinda sensitive when it comes to their zombies it seems. i was just curious, if we can expect something more objective/story/coop based like chernarus apocalypse, or something like Pauliess described, or "just" the dayZ concept of open world MMO scavenging. let's be honest that dayZ 2017 thing was a mod for the dayZ mod. nothing wrong with that. just saying.

i have nothing against zombies at all. i was hookied on dayZ for a while myself. i just still prefer chernarus apocalypse because for me personally the whole aimlessly scavenging thing gets old pretty fast.

Isn't there a mod for the DayZ mod called 2017 aswell? I swear i saw those models before!

yea i think these are the post apocalyptic units made by icewindo. they are used by one or more dayz mod - mods.

So long as the zombies don't move like garbage bags blowing in the wind (DayZ!) I'm totally down with this.

wow. people get kinda sensitive when it comes to their zombies it seems.

It's a lifestyle :cool:, don't worry man, I knew what you meant haha

wow. people get kinda sensitive when it comes to their zombies it seems. i was just curious, if we can expect something more objective/story/coop based like chernarus apocalypse, or something like Pauliess described, or "just" the dayZ concept of open world MMO scavenging. let's be honest that dayZ 2017 thing was a mod for the dayZ mod. nothing wrong with that. just saying.

i have nothing against zombies at all. i was hookied on dayZ for a while myself. i just still prefer chernarus apocalypse because for me personally the whole aimlessly scavenging thing gets old pretty fast.

yea i think these are the post apocalyptic units made by icewindo. they are used by one or more dayz mod - mods.

i'll get one of the devs to this thread and let him make a opening post with info etc and explain some things. Not gonna go in details think its better if one of the devs explains the mod.

basic: it will be a Mp survival infected game but not the same thing as dayz. i know many people compare zombie games with DayZ but dayz isnt the first zombie game.

The focus will be more on the survival part like in dayz 2017 mod using several kind of mechanisms to achieve this. Core is ofcourse the same as dayz and other zombie games, eat drink loot etc.

The devs started working on this mod for Arma3 so they can build it from scratch instead of changing a existing mod wich can be really messy and hard to get things working properly.

Starting from scratch gives the advantage of exactly knowing how everything works. Arma3 also has way more possibilities then arma2.

The screenshots are ingame i used splendid camera to achieve a nicer look. some colorcorrection went into the day screenshot.

Think its better if one of the devs explains the rest :).

Zombie AI is in collaboration with Craig from zombie sandbox mod.

Hey, I am the lead developer of the mod, I will try and answer some of your guys' questions. I'm in a bit of a rush though.

No, it will not be a DayZ clone. 2017 will be a unique experience. I can't say too much though ;)

Yeah, though the rolling Hills of Altis don't seem to frightening too me ^^. That Graveyard from the "LiveStream" could be suitable though.

Yup there is! Although we are taking some elements from that mod, it may not be directly related. And those models are indeed from our DayZ mod.

this is like the charons undead mod, looks awesome...

i created tons and tons of missions using them.

brilliant **cking work..

Question: will the zombies have any animation to them or will they run like the Dynamic Zombie Sandbox?

keep us informed!

In full release definetely, in earlier builds, maybe.

No, it will not be a DayZ clone. 2017 will be a unique experience. I can't say too much though ;)

This is good to hear, I am in the same boat as BadBenson. The pointless wandering and scavenging just isn't fun or appealing to me. Story-driven SP / MP coop missions following a plot much like Chernarus Apocalypse (released in a series) are much more appealing to me.

I'm down for some zombie coop missions type, but scavenge for stuff like DayZ no. To me DayZ was more about the bandits slaughtering off survivors than actual zombies since they seem like a side thing to me.

Anyways, will there also be mutants from STALKER like the bloodsucker from Namalsk Crisis addon in ARMA 2? I love those guys :P . Zombies don't scare me, they're just brain dead guys charging you and you shoot them up, but when there's a mutant mixed in the middle, it would be even more interesting :P .

this is my new reason i love arma 3... infected on altis... missions and story lines going to be awesome, im already planning a series :P

another important question :/

in undead mod for arma 2, you simply placed modules bish bash bosh.. will this be similar and not lines and lines of script.sqf's

hopefully its really simple

Edited by tyl3r99

I'm down for some zombie coop missions type, but scavenge for stuff like DayZ no. To me DayZ was more about the bandits slaughtering off survivors than actual zombies since they seem like a side thing to me.

Well day z wasn't about killing survivors but the player base made it about it so i dont think that bit changes. Anyway if there will be some kind of story line except the regular zombie game story line: "everyone is dead stay alive" will be good if a propper story line is made Where instead of only staying alive you have to find a cure aswell dunno.

Hey Guys,

I am the project lead for the 2017 mod for ArmA3. Alot of these suggestions that you guys are putting forward are things we have already considered to make the game more engaging and fresh. We want to move away from DayZ and from our ArmA2 counterpart DayZ 2017. We've been working really hard these couple of months and have started developement from scratch and the only assets we moved over are the one we have just for DayZ 2017 and not DayZ.

Extensive work have been done on the models that were in 2017 for ArmA2 and are now fully customisable like inter-changing different portions of clothing. We wont be using the term 'zombie' and are sticking to the term 'infected' and yes, we will be incorporating different 'types' of infected. I am currently fine tuning a new infected model that is designed to scare you sh*tless! (will need a bit more work) and we have quite a few more features that we're adding to make this a completely unique experience.

The development team is working hard to providing players with something different and terrifying. Please continue to keep an open mind as we will try our hardest to create something great and memorable :)

Kind Regards,

Lee Elsom (Hellborn)

P.S. we ARE going for something with more of a narrative to make the game a little more three-dimensional - so this will be both a single-player and multi-player mod where the story of single player missions will be reflected in the multiplayer world. (i.e. we explain in different areas why that area has decayed etc and exactly how it ended up like that.)

- There IS going to be loot/ and SOME scavenging (it is set in the near future after all) like any game but it's not going to be the main focus of gameplay. so it is more of an element than a focus.

Edited by Hellborn

thank you for the information :) this sounds really really promising.

regarding initializing the mod itself i.e. the mod to work in the editor. will there be simple modules so for example,

infected init module placed on the map...

will there be any spawn modules or spawn types? like areas etc?

or will it be scripting everything?

thank you for taking the time to read this

Hey Guys,

I am the project lead for the 2017 mod for ArmA3. Alot of these suggestions that you guys are putting forward are things we have already considered to make the game more engaging and fresh. We want to move away from DayZ and from our ArmA2 counterpart DayZ 2017. We've been working really hard these couple of months and have started developement from scratch and the only assets we moved over are the one we have just for DayZ 2017 and not DayZ.

Extensive work have been done on the models that were in 2017 for ArmA2 and are now fully customisable like inter-changing different portions of clothing. We wont be using the term 'zombie' and are sticking to the term 'infected' and yes, we will be incorporating different 'types' of infected. I am currently fine tuning a new infected model that is designed to scare you sh*tless! (will need a bit more work) and we have quite a few more features that we're adding to make this a completely unique experience.

The development team is working hard to providing players with something different and terrifying. Please continue to keep an open mind as we will try our hardest to create something great and memorable :)

Kind Regards,

Lee Elsom (Hellborn)

P.S. we ARE going for something with more of a narrative to make the game a little more three-dimensional - so this will be both a single-player and multi-player mod where the story of single player missions will be reflected in the multiplayer world. (i.e. we explain in different areas why that area has decayed etc and exactly how it ended up like that.)

- There IS going to be loot/ and SOME scavenging (it is set in the near future after all) like any game but it's not going to be the main focus of gameplay. so it is more of an element than a focus.

thank you for the information :) this sounds really really promising.

regarding initializing the mod itself i.e. the mod to work in the editor. will there be simple modules so for example,

infected init module placed on the map...

will there be any spawn modules or spawn types? like areas etc?

or will it be scripting everything?

thank you for taking the time to read this

It's gonna be scripted, but initializing loot spawn/creature spawn, will have seperate SQF files so I can create easy modules for the Editor to do things you ask for.

We're not sure if we're open to making missions for the mod yet; at least, we're not going to focus on it too much in our early releases, since we want the game itself to be good first. So it might take a bit more time than the release date for the mod itself for the modules you ask for to be readily available, but since everything is in seperate files, it should be easy enough for yourself to do it, if you can't wait.