Sign in to follow this  
kleutscher

2017 - Official Announcement!

Hey guys,

This is an official announcement for a new mod for ArmA 3 titled '2017'. It is a Post-Apocalyptic Extreme Survival Horror game and the main end-goal is that it will be a total-conversion-mod. This will mean we will virtually be replacing all assets in-game to our own custom content

First thing's first, we want to make this clear... IT WILL NOT BE DAYZ! Not one bit! It will not be tied to our DayZ 2017 counterpart in any way in that it won't play like the DayZ mod. We have designed the mod to be a unique experience from the beginning so we've built it from the ground up. All code is brand new and rigorously organised. This makes finding bugs/ issues really easy as we can identify where to look based on the issue. So error handling will not be a problem.

2017 is set in a future where the apocalypse has long since past. 2017 was the year the outbreak occurred and has engulfed the globe with an unknown infection. After many years of agony and scrambling for survival across the globe... no one knows what year it is or how long it has been... it doesn't even matter any more. Your role is to survive, from other survivors, the environment, the infected and even... yourself.

Let's talk about features.

• Brand new Health, Hunger and Thirst system - If you're well fed and hydrated you will 'slowly' gain back health if you've taken damage. Health, Hunger and Thirst are all monitored separately and are independent from each other.
  • New Infected - These are not Zombies, these are infected humans with some unknown mutagen... This will enable us to be more flexible with the kind of variety that can improve the 'Horror' element. This is reminiscent of 'Resident Evil' where humans can mutate into various things, but ours however will be more grounded in reality in that they will be mainly humanoid. This also enables more possibilities for us with each update to add to the horror. These new infected WILL be a challenge and come in all forms of intelligence and difficulty.
  • Customisation/ Re-worked Models - ArmA 3 has granted us the opportunity to create so much variety with the models we're bringing over into ArmA 3 (these will change in time so they will no longer resemble the models from DayZ 2017) These have been fully reworked to utilise the ArmA 3 engine, physics, animations and skeleton. We have have temporarily made use of the models from DayZ 2017 (modified Icewindo models) and separated different sections to provide various forms of attire. You can mix and match to achieve the hobo/ survivor look you like.
  • Singleplayer/ Co-op Missions - These will serve as the driving force explaining the narrative whose repercussions can be observed in the multiplayer mode. Each mission will be creative, unique and tell a different segment of the 2017 universe. Play alone or co-op with your friends, your choice. Co-op difficulty will be scaled based on player numbers and difficulty selection.
  • New Map - Takes place on Altis and It's HUGE (270km2) and will be 'Heavily' modified to portray a unique world rich with a story down every street. Each vehicle wreck and ruined building adds to the untold story... well, untold until the singleplayer/ co-op mission comes out explaining it ;) .
  • Illness - Well you can get sick... but we're making sure it's realistic and portrayed accurately in-game.
  • Real World Values - Hunger, Thirst, Health, Illnesses will all have a realistic time-frame. This will ensure that you spend more time playing the game and surviving rather than scavenging all the time like in another mod we wont mention for ArmA 2. It also grants more time to find food and water and various ways to treat yourself. This also opens the door to a new level of immersion never seen.
  • Survival - The game has been designed in a way to make you want to survive by working with other players (or alone) and avoiding the infected and other perilous dangers in a much more realistic manner. Hunting, Gathering, Foraging, Fishing, Crafting, Building, other bushcraft skills, EVERYTHING! You might even have to resort to Cannibalism. We want to cover the entire basis of survival. If you want to hide in the forest and survive on your own, you can play like that. If you want to be in the city and be social or fight off the hordes of infected, you can. The sky is the limit with the amount of survival elements we will be implementing.
  • Loot - You will be able to search everywhere in the world to find various items/ tools/ equipment/ weapons etc. at a very rare chance, since this IS based in the future. This will NOT be a main focus as we want to treat this as only an 'element' of the gameplay. We do not want to distract you from the survival horror aspect with the mundane task of loot farming.
  • Multiple Play Styles - The mod has been designed to accommodate a plethora of play styles whilst not ruining it for others. PvP or not, you won't be punished or encouraged to play PvP but you'll want to approach each situation with realistic expectations.
  • Psychology - We will be adding psychological elements to the gameplay. We will not go into too much detail because we want people to experience it first hand :D .

So that is the basic overview of what will be in the game and we still have many more things that we will elaborate on in the future. We are looking to start closed alpha testing soon followed by open beta testing the following month, and finally the big release shortly thereafter.

Twitter: www.twitter.com/2017mod

YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/2017mod

email: 2017mod@gmail.com

*Note - Website, Twitter, YouTube and email are still under construction so nothing has been posted/ uploaded etc. but will be soon :)

Team:

-Project Lead: Lee Elsom (Hellborn)

-Lead Developer: Deniz Zoeteman (gdscei)

-Lead Tester: Andrew Byerly (Knar)

-Developer: Luke Hinds (Shinkicker)

-Developer: Craig Vander Galien (Dynamic Zombie Sandbox)

-Developer: Philippe (Genkids)

-Developer: Jack Carlin (Jarrrk/RazorFlint)

-Developer: Frederik Burgsmüller (fred)

-Media: Karwin Leutscher (Media)

-Concept Artist: Jack Fieldhouse (Fieldmau5)

Test Team:

-Tester: Andrew Byerly (Knar)

-Tester: Mason McDaniel

-Tester: Jake Cooper

-Special thanks to Luke (Shinkicker) Hinds for creating the vision in which this game has evolved from and to everyone who is part of the team.

-Special thanks to Icewindo for helping with integrating the new infected model into ArmA 3 and The Post-Apocalyptic survivor models.

-Special thanks to NZXSHADOWS for helping with the ShadowVolume LOD for the new models and information regarding the 'Naming Properties' function.

-Thanks to Shamwill for helping with providing the guidelines for implementing weapons into ArmA 3.

-Thanks to Kiory with helping with fixing a lot of my issues regarding muzzle-flash on the weapons, proxies, reload animations etc. You are awesome.

Also, thanks to everyone I have missed incase I forgot anyone.

Kind Regards,

Lee Elsom (Hellborn)

Edited by Hellborn

I am Andrew AKA Knar, and I am the lead tester for 2017.

Within the following week or two we will be starting our closed alpha testing phase of the mod. Anyone interested in helping us test the mod can Private Message me with a bit about yourself, and your Skype username if you have one. I am looking for testers that can commit to helping us iron out any issues with the game, test every feature, and generally try to break the game so the developers can fix it.

I am really excited about this mod, and you all should be too :)

Threads merged.

Edited by MadDogX

Will we be able to create our own missions in the editor using props and units from the mod?

I really really hope so so we can have fun creating our own scenarios.

Regarding the issue of publishing missions I can understand that you may not want people doing this but as long as we don't publish and just fool around on editor and LAN that should be ok?

[EDIT] technically you should be able to as its a full conversion mod...?

Edited by tyl3r99
addition to post

Hey guys! Looking forward to a re-worked survival mod. I'd like to make 2 suggestions that I made for Day-Z but no one ever implemented it. Maybe it was too hard for them.

Please consider adding a (REALISTIC) skill system by way of pamphlets, books, guides etc hidden throughout the game world. Make these plentiful in variety but rare in duplication. That is the first part to my idea/system.

Second, is allow players to player interaction that allows players to trade/learn skills they have found from each other. Make it take a few hours of being in a certain proximity to that player until they can finally learn that skill. The most social and interactive of survivors will be some of the most skilled and knowledgeable because of the skills they gain from other humans, AS IS in real life. Not every person on this planet knows how to start and IV or effective first aid. I would say the MINORITY of people actually know how to fix and engine. Hell, most woman don't know how to change a tire.

It would be great if certain survivors spawn with different skill sets already known to add variety of who and what someone has been in their life prior to the incident.

I have always believed this was the number one anti "shoot on sight" mechanic for any of these style games. Let's at least discuss the possibilities, limitations of this as it would make the game a more social experience to be sure. Bandits who decide to be loners will suffer the consequences they would face in RL. No social interaction and learning opportunities other then the information/skills they find throughout the world.

Looking forward to it. Maybe I should check out the 2017 mod for Arma 2 aswell.

Hey guys! Looking forward to a re-worked survival mod. I'd like to make 2 suggestions that I made for Day-Z but no one ever implemented it. Maybe it was too hard for them.

Please consider adding a (REALISTIC) skill system by way of pamphlets, books, guides etc hidden throughout the game world. Make these plentiful in variety but rare in duplication. That is the first part to my idea/system.

Second, is allow players to player interaction that allows players to trade/learn skills they have found from each other. Make it take a few hours of being in a certain proximity to that player until they can finally learn that skill. The most social and interactive of survivors will be some of the most skilled and knowledgeable because of the skills they gain from other humans, AS IS in real life. Not every person on this planet knows how to start and IV or effective first aid. I would say the MINORITY of people actually know how to fix and engine. Hell, most woman don't know how to change a tire.

It would be great if certain survivors spawn with different skill sets already known to add variety of who and what someone has been in their life prior to the incident.

I have always believed this was the number one anti "shoot on sight" mechanic for any of these style games. Let's at least discuss the possibilities, limitations of this as it would make the game a more social experience to be sure. Bandits who decide to be loners will suffer the consequences they would face in RL. No social interaction and learning opportunities other then the information/skills they find throughout the world.

This is an awesome suggestion! We can't give too much away at this point however, we do have some measures in place where you will expect realistic consequences for actions :)

Hey guys cool looking mod, I'm not a zombie lover so much but I'm a big post apocalyptic world fan, hope this turns out. Not trolling here, this may have been mentioned already but I'm a graphic designer, and your current logo is Very much hinting at the DayZ logo, if I were you guys I would create a new more unique logo without a silhouette of a person in one of the letters. You would be much less likely to have people saying you're a copy mod if you have a more unique image/logo. Good luck with the mod!

Hey guys cool looking mod, I'm not a zombie lover so much but I'm a big post apocalyptic world fan, hope this turns out. Not trolling here, this may have been mentioned already but I'm a graphic designer, and your current logo is Very much hinting at the DayZ logo, if I were you guys I would create a new more unique logo without a silhouette of a person in one of the letters. You would be much less likely to have people saying you're a copy mod if you have a more unique image/logo. Good luck with the mod!

Awesome note! we wanted a logo that showed our roots being that we first worked on DayZ 2017 and it was more of a homage to how we started. However, if we are looking to make something completely unique we would have to make a logo that was something different also. Considering that you're a graphics desinger, i'd love to see if you could create something for us :) it'd be awesome if you did.

Thanks for the constructive observation!

Kind Regards,

Lee Elsom (Hellborn)

when can we see the video of the gameplay?

That should be pretty soon :) We're just getting started on Altis, when we've got something ready we'll release a video. No exact ETA though yet.

this is not dayz simple as that..

this shizzz is realistic ;)

I really hope to see a mod where items and assets scarcity is biggest pain then *Infected themselves.

The survival feeling thingy lies on the scarcity of resources imo.

Oh..i wouln't have use NVG at all in the items-spawn list for make this game mode interesting

I really hope to see a mod where items and assets scarcity is biggest pain then *Infected themselves.

The survival feeling thingy lies on the scarcity of resources imo.

Oh..i wouln't have use NVG at all in the items-spawn list for make this game mode interesting

We've already said: scavanging will not be the main focus of the mod.

We've already said: scavanging will not be the main focus of the mod.

I think what he's saying is the scarcity of items and weapons. IMO, the biggest problem with DayZ is I can die and 10 minutes later get the spawn I want, and get a M16/M4/AK with 2-3 mags. I have no need at this point to try and "survive" and it becomes purely PVP.

I think it would be interesting to find BULLETS single bullets, rather than magazines for a primary weapon that you can combine to make a magazine (5-10 rounds make a Enfield clip *example*), this way it would force people to make decisions on whether to engage people or not. Might be interesting to see people use the bullet system could turn into a type of currency.. (ill give you 10 bullets for a bunch of supplies) :p

This is going to be SPECTACULAR on Altis. Man, I was just running through one of the bigger towns at 4:30 AM, with a touch of fog and wind, and, boy howdy, it was CREEPY. And the streets are nice and claustrophobic, with a total Euro vibe. It's going to be like an Italian zombie movie! (Well, in Greece)... :cool: