Sign in to follow this  
maddogx

Altis - Info & Discussion

Please use this thread for any discussion about the soon-to-be-released island of Altis. I will endeavor to keep this post up to date with any official info that comes out.

FAQ

When will Altis become available?

Altis is available right now on the dev branch.

How will Altis affect performance compared to Stratis?

As is the case with all larger islands, Altis comes with a framerate hit compared to Stratis.

Your view distance probably plays the biggest role here. Even if you are able to run Stratis with 12k view distance, Altis will probably kill your framerate at this setting due to the significantly higher number of everything.

Reducing your draw distance is the obvious solution.

How big will the download be?

~2.5GB, perhaps more if you're switching from the main build.

Edited by MadDogX

From the closed thread:

The way I saw it, the old/historical capital is bigger than the current capital next to the air field and harbor.
mm:ss?

[Talking about this

.]

Try 36:40 or 37:15 onwards. It's not as dense as other cities, but it covers a huge area.

Actually, it is pretty dense for the Armaverse and f-ing massive.

Edited by zimms

I love it from what we've seen. Huge props to the devs, even though something new to ArmA like (Ant)arctic warfare would have been cool, Altis is IMO the most beautiful map I've seen so far. Maybe that will vary once we get our own view on it, but huge props to the devs!

I love the fact that you have so much variation. Mountains, flat land, cities, salt lagoon.

I´m just hoping we see an airport up in the mountains, on of those airports that pinches your stomach a little bit.

Try 36:40 or 37:15 onwards. It's not as dense as other cities, but it covers a huge area.

Thanks. Looks like there's no bigger cities, i.e. with bigger (office) buildings and office towers... but many of those small greek houses we already know from Stratis. But we will see.

I´m just hoping we see an airport up in the mountains, on of those airports that pinches your stomach a little bit.

I think you are better served and should consider playing this in X-Plane or FSX, because flying in ArmA is just very simplified.

Edited by tortuosit

Thanks. Looks like there's no bigger cities, i.e. with bigger (office) buildings and office towers... but many of those small greek houses we already know from Stratis. But we will see.

Seems like devs have done everything to avoid huge buildings/skyscrapers like that in every ArmA, lol.

Altis is awesome. the size and the variation is more than i ever dreamed of any game...

does anyone know about the feature which was announced, that the houses furnishing can be affected (guess by script or module)?

Seems like devs have done everything to avoid huge buildings/skyscrapers like that in every ArmA, lol.

Except maybe International Hotel in Chernogorsk, but hey, it's just a huge brick ;)

Except maybe International Hotel in Chernogorsk, but hey, it's just a huge brick ;)

And not accessable ;)

What I saw of it was to little for an opinion about it really. Just hope that there will be things like creeks with running water , bridges, main tarmac roads/highway. Also hope for many locations that are not sniper friendly, as in, that you can create mission scenario´s where AI and players can´t see you coming from miles away like on Stratis (contact!, APC 2.4 clicks, west).

even though something new to ArmA like (Ant)arctic warfare would have been cool

Interesting thought.... we might have to get some modders to figure that one out!

It looks great, but I'm really hoping for more flat land to accommodate large vehicle battles (as well as villages). If I have a nit to pick, it's the fact that everything looks "samey", with lots of brown and not a whole lot of variety when it comes to terrain. I know that Altis is a virtual reproduction of an actual place, but I'd almost rather the devs took more artistic license and added larger forested areas, lusher grasslands, murky, heavily vegetated swamps, etc. Who knows? Maybe it's there (I mean, we've probably seen like 5% of the island thus far), but, looking at the actual island using Google Earth, it appears to be a pretty "brown" place...

Interesting thought.... we might have to get some modders to figure that one out!

I made a few concept drawings, made some pseudo code for script concepts (I only know how to programm, not to mod arma) and asked a few modders via PM, no response so far.

wrong, the first floor was :P

edit: partially xD

Heck I'd be happy with the infamous OFP/A1-A2 aptment buildings but they'd be so out of place.

Heck I'd be happy to see Mondkalbs huge appartments in game. I think they're the biggest interactable and accessable buildings for ArmA.

I love it from what we've seen. Huge props to the devs, even though something new to ArmA like (Ant)arctic warfare would have been cool

BTW I think it was the Dayz Rocket who made a mountain map with just mountains and snow, but I forgot its name... which maybe could be transferred to A3 or used with AiA.

I think you are better served and should consider playing this in X-Plane or FSX, because flying in ArmA is just very simplified.

No i´ll play Arma instead, i just wished there was a tricky airport in the mountains that´s all. (which there might be, who knows)

BTW I think it was the Dayz Rocket who made a mountain map with just mountains and snow, but I forgot its name... which maybe could be transferred to A3 or used with AiA.

You are talking about Aoraki / Mount Cook. If you have seen The Lord of the Rings you know these mountains.

No, I think these terrain series were made by bushlurker.

Re-read Zimms post again Brain,clearly states Rocket did the Aoraki/Mount Cook terrain.

Its nice to see Altis will be available soon.

I have found most terrains are usable to some degree in A3, even A1 terrains, old ace, vte & pmc terrains. As said though, to differing degree's of success. ;)

Similar to Rockets Aoraki, are Chimalpopoca or EtahPlateau, both ‘Bushlurker’ terrains..

I love the fact that you have so much variation. Mountains, flat land, cities, salt lagoon.

Yea! An airport for those skilled pilots or the crazy ones like me!

Hopefully someone will develop more/better naval craft. Would be nice to have something like an amphibious assault ship (like this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amphibious_assault_ship) as a stationary object just off the coast of Altis (similar to how ARMA2/BF3 had it) as a base of operations eg. harriers, landing craft, helicopters, Osprey's, etc.

No, I think these terrain series were made by bushlurker.

Just go to the link zimms posted and you'll see that Rocket made that terrain.