Sign in to follow this  
mindstorm

[MP][RACE] Race for stratis 32

I proudly present my own race mission. It is using my own (aplha) Dynamics Race script.

I mean, I always wanted to have a good race in ARMA. Who doesn't? =).

Content

Race types:

• Normal race with/without damage
  • Race with driver & gunner with/without damage
  • Cops & Robbers: 1 (or more depending on player amount) armed vehicle(s) with 2 players are robbers. Rest is police and must arrest (halt) them before robbers reach the finish.
  • Cat & Mouse: Teams of 2 players: Each player has a mice (slower vehicle) and a cats (faster). Cats must prevent the mice from opponent teams from finishing. If more then 12 players teams get larger.
  • Driver, gunner & commander race.
  • Cops & Robbers + Commander: Same as cops & robbers but with commander.
  • Cat & Mouse + Commander: Same as cat & mouse but with commander.

Features:

• Vote system for race type
  • Vote system for damage enabled/disabled
  • Vote system for vehicle type
  • Team selection
  • Vehicles must stay on road
  • Vehicle reset
  • up to 32 players
  • Race timer & results
  • Commander actions
  • Checkpoint system
  • Spectator mode
  • JIP Support
  • Many more

Images

Normal race start & team selection

42yVF.jpg42yWa.jpg

Cat & mouse start and after a couple seconds of racing (mice are the larger slower vehicles and cats the offroads)

42yWh.jpg42yWl.jpg

Race start as a commander with each team consiting of a driver, gunner and commander. 2nd picture is an overview of the commanders actions

42yWt.jpg42yWH.jpg

Commanders view when he just deployed some smoke. And commander flying a littlebird for 30 seconds to wreak havoc on enemies.

42yWP.jpg42yWV.jpg

Cops & robbers race.

42yX2.jpg42yX8.jpg

Video

This is an outdated video without the new GUI.

*If you have a decent rig and play this mission with friends please record video's of it so I can create a better video. Credits will be given of course.*

---->Download<----

---->Armaholic URL<----

Please report all errors/features requests here or preferably on the github page.

If you want to test this mission without friends either launch it locally or host MP and set enable ai param to true. Notice: AI waypoints currently have an issue resulting in incorrect position display.

Version history

## 0.0.2

Updates:

- cats & robbers max 6 teams with increasing cat count

- overview of team before race start

- cat & mouse teams based on colors

- gui updates on position and time

- added mission parameter to enable AI (for testing).

Bugfixes:

- not being able to start a race due to false online racer count

- commander spectator fix

- dual race team creation fix

- vehicle resupply fix

## 0.0.1

Initial build

Edited by mindstorm

Hosted your mission on dedicated + local with 3 other people and I got the same issue every-time. After we had finished voting the screen would go black ( I presume this is for when we are getting teleported to the start? ) and it would never go past that point. We waited a good 3 - 5 minutes every-time and it didn't go past that black screen. Looks very promising though, the voting system seemed to work pretty well (from what I could tell) and the track looks pretty cool.

I am aware of this bug and working on a fix. After testing I will release it. Probably somewhere around midnight EST.

Thank you for reporting this issue.

Hey,

Sorry for the delay in update. I wanted to release an update earlier but decided to add some more content before releasing this.

You should be able to start a race now.

Hate to tell you but the latest Arma 3 update has broken your mission... :P

Could you be a bit more specific? I just tried it on stable build (MP with AI) and everything seemed to be working fine.

You should add the ability to have weapons attached to the outside of the Offroad like rocket launcher on the roof and machine guns on the sides which the driver or a passenger can fire once they pass a weapon activation checkpoint. Think death race to understand what I mean.

You should add the ability to have weapons attached to the outside of the Offroad like rocket launcher on the roof and machine guns on the sides which the driver or a passenger can fire once they pass a weapon activation checkpoint. Think death race to understand what I mean.

I've had this idea as well. It probably won't be implemented in a scripted version however. It is possible to add custom weapons (as in "existing ones") to existing armored vehicles but unfortunately I don't believe it's possible to add weapons to vehicles like the offroad (without modding). I will start investigating features like the deathrace "activation" triggers very soon tho.

Thank you for your suggestion =).

I've had this idea as well. It probably won't be implemented in a scripted version however. It is possible to add custom weapons (as in "existing ones") to existing armored vehicles but unfortunately I don't believe it's possible to add weapons to vehicles like the offroad (without modding). I will start investigating features like the deathrace "activation" triggers very soon tho.

Thank you for your suggestion =).

I believe it is possible, using attach to and then scripting the projectile to fire from the weapon location.

---------- Post added at 21:05 ---------- Previous post was at 21:03 ----------

Yea, having armed vehicle have weapon activation triggers would be awesome and having a death race style missle kill you if you go to far from the track.

---------- Post added at 21:06 ---------- Previous post was at 21:05 ----------

I have always dreamed of how awesome a death race mission could be in Arma 3. You have seen death race one, two and three right?

---------- Post added at 21:07 ---------- Previous post was at 21:06 ----------

You could add in dangerous traps that players driving over a trigger could activate as well.

And have a user made textures on the triggers with a "skull" for trap activation, a "sword" for front mounted weapons, and shield for backwards facing weapons and smoke. Going over the trigger wouldn't force you to use your weapons but would force the trap trigger to deploy the trap ahead to get other racers.

Could you be a bit more specific? I just tried it on stable build (MP with AI) and everything seemed to be working fine.

Strange, for me it was showing up with loads of vehicle classname errors and it would not load up.

Strange, for me it was showing up with loads of vehicle classname errors and it would not load up.

Weird. Is this still the case? If so would you be willing to send me a copy of the your log files (%userprofile%\appdata\local\arma 3\, latest file).

ProGamer: I'm starting the development of this as a race type. Unfortunately I don't have a lot of the time upcoming 2-4 weeks due to business related travels. And yes i've seen the movies, and like the idea.

Excellent mission Mindstorm and great idea ProGamer. I too love this kind of mission and fiddled a bit when A3 came out with a similar theme. If you haven't yet you should check out Celery's Road Rage mission for Arma 2 for ideas, etc.

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=9707

Our play:

http://www.twitch.tv/solarflame1/b/366443708

Also if you need a dedicated server (and warm bodies) for testing please let me know

Thx for the tip SavageCDN. I'm actually currently working on a new mode called "Death Race". The first part is a car-builder which let's you attach defensive (metal plates and stuff) and weapons to your vehicle. It saves configurations per vehicle so you won't have to rebuild.

You then can race ala death race the movie. Of course more added parts/guns make slower vehicles. It's still far from done but I think it will be a nice race type.

Thx for the tip SavageCDN. I'm actually currently working on a new mode called "Death Race". The first part is a car-builder which let's you attach defensive (metal plates and stuff) and weapons to your vehicle. It saves configurations per vehicle so you won't have to rebuild.

You then can race ala death race the movie. Of course more added parts/guns make slower vehicles. It's still far from done but I think it will be a nice race type.

You could use a concrete road block as the "tomb stone" from death race and have it block bullets and the driver can drop it to crash an oponent.

That does sound awesome!!! Also if you can figure out a way to 'drop' mines or other objects from a vehicle (or the 'tombstone' as ProGamer suggested)

Other ideas (mostly from Celery's RR mission):

-Increase the top end speed and/or acceleration of vehicles (using turbo key)

-Once we get more flag objects in game assign a flag to each player and attach it to their vehicle (although I do like how you've done the 'show player names' option)

-Decrease the size of the OMG YOU'VE GONE OFFROAD warning message.. it's too big right now and makes it difficult especially in 1st person view

-Add a force 1st person view pararmeter

-Option to flip your vehicle if it's upside down? (or does the R reset fix this?)

Edited by SavageCDN

That does sound awesome!!! Also if you can figure out a way to 'drop' mines or other objects from a vehicle (or the 'tombstone' as ProGamer suggested)

Other ideas (mostly from Celery's RR mission):

-Increase the top end speed and/or acceleration of vehicles (using turbo key)

-Once we get more flag objects in game assign a flag to each player and attach it to their vehicle (although I do like how you've done the 'show player names' option)

-Decrease the size of the OMG YOU'VE GONE OFFROAD warning message.. it's too big right now and makes it difficult especially in 1st person view

-Add a force 1st person view pararmeter

-Option to flip your vehicle if it's upside down? (or does the R reset fix this?)

Thank you for your constructive feedback. You don't know how much I appreciate this!

-Mines and smoke are coming in a future update (actually smoke is sorta in it but not really working).

-Top speed: I've had multiple versions of speed boosts but for now they don't seem to work rather well. WHen the script becomes an addon this will be perma fixed because of custom vehicles. Untill then I'll see about adding a boost script, it does however effect vehicle handling negatively if you ask me.

-Flags: Currently I use draw3d to draw text above the players based on their distance. When playing cat and mouse I attach a marker object with the corresponding color (I am working on car colors as well). Flags is a possebility but the current flag poles are rather large. You can however attach custom textures/colors to the flags. Ill test it with collision off cause I believe it would indeed look rather cool if winds effects are even applied.

-Next patch will include a decrease in omfg you've gone offroad =).

-Force 1st person is a difficulty settings which cannot be forced by means of scripting. I might be able to add it to the description.ext but i'm not sure about that (will look into it).

-Vehicle flip can indeed be achieved by pressing R. I had an option that would automatically reset when you lied top-down for a couple of seconds but I removed it because sometimes you trip over say like in 3secs and you would be autoreset in my case where it would cost you an extra 5 seconds which in custom reset would not. Can still look into like a 5 second auto-reset when topdown.

Top Speed - actually I didn't think of that (poor vehicle handling at higher speeds..although that could be even more fun :p)

Flags - yeah it was just a thought.. I like how the player names appear at low distances

1PV - check out this mission where it's a param and forced through script:

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=22013

Flip - nah don't bother if R resets a flipped vehicle that is great.. although with an auto-reset when topdown AI would 'survive' instead of hopping out of the vehicles

Do boats work with this script as well (obviously with DYN_RACE_MUST_STAY_ON_ROAD = false) ?

More ideas:

-day/night as voting option

-battle arena option as 'race type' ie: kills instead of laps :)

edit: I think I might set this up on our server so if you have stuff you need to test fire me a PM

Edited by SavageCDN

Weird. Is this still the case? If so would you be willing to send me a copy of the your log files (%userprofile%\appdata\local\arma 3\, latest file).

ProGamer: I'm starting the development of this as a race type. Unfortunately I don't have a lot of the time upcoming 2-4 weeks due to business related travels. And yes i've seen the movies, and like the idea.

My bad, tried it again today and it worked great :)

How goes the development?

Just a quick update:

-I started developing a death race type. Currently I got I am quite far with a car-build option. You can select a car and attach parts to it the way you like (guns/steel plates e.t.c). The designs are saved to your profile.

-Also did some research into custom textures for the boosters, gun enablers e.t.c.

-did some Prework for mines and other stuffs.

However, upcoming 2 weeks I can't do any work. I've got business trip and will return from it on 9th of september.

I will start a WIP thread in the WIP mod section when I get back so I can inform you guys with updates.

:bounce3:

This is now extra fun with the 300kph hatchback :p

Edited by SavageCDN