Sign in to follow this  
Kydoimos

Fun with User Textures

Hi all. Presently working on a Stratis template using a plethora of User Textures. Eventually, when it's all finished, it'll be available to download. The great thing is, it's not an addon. Everything has been done with in-game materials ... here's a peek: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198007919065/screenshots/

Next project - Template Altis! Lol!

That's just wickedly awesome right there, man. Sweet!

I'm about half way through doing Stratis Air Base, Girna, and Agia Marina. Be useful when BI release a few more objects. But as you can see, it's beginning to take shape!

Definitely is, those objects also makes me think that there could be a city on Altis :D and I am talking about a real city!

This is all very well and they look excellent, but this takes AGES to do and look right, unless Kydoimos has a cunning tool to place the texture on the wall skin accurately and quickly.

Looks really awesome. Does it affect performance much, especially in Agia Marina?

No cunning tools I'm afraid - it does take a little while to do!

---------- Post added at 07:16 ---------- Previous post was at 07:15 ----------

It hasn't seemed to effect performance... haven't tested it on multiplayer servers yet. I make sure to render all the simulations as false.

---------- Post added at 07:19 ---------- Previous post was at 07:16 ----------

For mission making, you can always erase areas outside of the AO too. So if you want Girna, get rid of Stratis Air Base and Agia Marina, or if you want Agia Marina, get rid of Girna and anything else that isn't included. If performance is a problem, then cherry pick what you want to keep. But at the moment, doesn't seem too bad at all.

What object did you use as the base of that billboard?

These look wonderful, the screens show so much texture (in the other meaning of the word) compared to the static regular Agia Marina. I can imagine a project involving this much finicky adjusting pretty tiring to create, though.

OMG!!!! This is so awesome you have come so far in such a short amount of time and your dedication is astounding. Keep up the good work my friend.

this looks very nice. :) But I can't believe it doesn't affect performance.

You know what would be nice? add a '2nd Stratis' to the editor island selection screen (config wise) that has all these objects on there by default. Would that be possible? just so you can make missions in your awesome environment without having all those objects showing up in the editor..

this looks very nice. :) But I can't believe it doesn't affect performance.

It doesn't. It bloats the mission file certainly, but in game, you won't really notice a performance difference.

In regards to the base of the billboard - that's just the back of a shoothouse wall panel :). Seeing as you can't place user textures too close to walls because of flickering, I have had to find a number of ways to add some depth to them. I managed to create a television screen by using the panel of a generator, lol! And as Tankbuster said, it certainly inflates the mission file but performance doesn't appear to suffer at all. Presently I'm working on a few skins for the Reaction Force Battalion server - then it's back to the template. http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198007919065/screenshots/

---------- Post added at 20:04 ---------- Previous post was at 20:03 ----------

By the way, thank you all for your support! :) I'll keep hard at work at it all and hopefully I'll have something worth downloading at the end of it!

Yes! I've managed to get the User Textures attached to vehicles now! Woo! http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198007919065/screenshots/#scrollTop=0

This is very interesting to me... Is it simply a fine-tuned attachTo or do you have some secret? I've been looking for a way to stick logos and stuff on vehicles without them being mirrored.

Here you go guys:

---------- Post added at 17:10 ---------- Previous post was at 16:56 ----------

Regarding the logos, decals, emblems etc. that was all finely tuned attachto-ing... I was up until 4am. That said, I can give you the numbers to attach your own .paas on certain vehicles. So far, I only have the tuning for the Marshall and the UH-80 and the Hunter.

---------- Post added at 17:12 ---------- Previous post was at 17:10 ----------

By the way - the template's delayed because of a User Texture glitch. Votes on ticket 0012771 would be greatly appreciated!

@&^%! OK, its official. BLOWN AWAY! I'm mean wow; really.

Was planning on doing this myself over the winter. Amazing.

I'm obsessed with detail and "believability" in games/movies.

The atmosphere and map look so real-life now. Organic!!!!

That's the quality BIS should be paying you for to add that

last level of polish to an already brilliant series. <salute>